Frame breakage Vado turbo

Yes, I'm not very happy with it either. That should simply not happen after 2 years. But that seems to be a weak point with the Vado. Does anyone know if the new 2022 bikes the spot was strengthened / changed?

Yes, I'm not very happy with it either. That should simply not happen after 2 years. But that seems to be a weak point with the Vado. Does anyone know if the new 2022 bikes the spot was strengthened / changed?
are some turbo Vado having different countries of manufacture? Are these now made in China? Is Taiwan using stronger materials? If for 2022 Specialize will fix this design and materials issue, , that is worth the wait.

One of the riders in our senior's cycling group has a 2019 Vado 4.0 and his bike suffered a break in the frame at the motor mount. Our local Specialized dealer told him that he was eligible for a free frame replacement, but the backlog was 2 years!!
His bike has approximately 5,000km (3000mi) on it.
The bike shop owner has a close connection with a shop that can weld aluminum, so he's offered to have the frame welded, as a stopgap.
Hopefully, that will get him back on the road.

One of the riders in our senior's cycling group has a 2019 Vado 4.0 and his bike suffered a break in the frame at the motor mount. Our local Specialized dealer told him that he was eligible for a free frame replacement, but the backlog was 2 years!!
His bike has approximately 5,000km (3000mi) on it.
The bike shop owner has a close connection with a shop that can weld aluminum, so he's offered to have the frame welded, as a stopgap.
Hopefully, that will get him back on the road.

Hate to see that crazy backlog number. Any one of us Spec owners could have a similar problem and not be able to get a weld fix. And what if there's an issue with a motor or battery? Those items might not take two years to acquire but the wait must be pretty long. Can't imagine being without my SL for even a couple days. :(

A lot of fun TForan to think you're riding your pig in slop... Wait. The pig is riding you.
I should sympathize with you. Not all of us are so fortunate to afford a Vado.
What does your bike do better than mine ? Mine is considerably quicker, has longer range, bigger carrying capacity and can bounce over curbs without cracking its frame and is far more comfortable. I'm glad you like your over priced under powered Chinese made bike.

Last edited:
Certainly, many people claiming their Yugo is better than Mercedes-Benz can be found.

What does your bike do better than mine ? Mine is considerably quicker, has longer range, bigger carrying capacity and can bounce over curbs with cracking its frame and is far more comfortable. I'm glad you like your over priced under powered Chinese made bike.
Hey Stefan can lift his ebike over his shoulder! Oh wait…that’s a stripped demo.😉
Seriously though, each person has an ebike that fits them and their needs/desires/budgets. Just because Specialized buyers love to form exclusive clubs and feel superior doesn’t mean they aren’t great bikes…as long as the frames don’t crack!🤓

Mercedes Benz has a terrible track record of customer service and breakdowns. Not sure I want to hang my hat on that comparison. People like the status of the brand and they've been innovative over the years. The cars with the best record are their diesel models. Didn't know Yugo was still a thing. They tried to crack the North American in the 80's😖

Mercedes Benz has a terrible track record of customer service and breakdowns. Not sure I want to hang my hat on that comparison. People like the status of the brand and they've been innovative over the years. The cars with the best record are their diesel models. Didn't know Yugo was still a thing. They tried to crack the North American in the 80's😖
It was a figure of speech, J.R. :) (Riese & Muller seem to be the Mercedes-Benz of today, unfortunately).
If I said "there are many bassists who claim their Chinese SX basses are superior to Fender Precision Bass" then would you (or anyone else) understand such analogy?

It was a figure of speech, J.R. :) (Riese & Muller seem to be the Mercedes-Benz of today, unfortunately).
If I said "there are many bassists who claim their Chinese SX basses are superior to Fender Precision Bass" then would you (or anyone else) understand such analogy?
Just a little deadpan, reality based humor😁 I get a kick out of comparisons between luxury status automobiles and ebikes.

Another curious one, on cargo bike forums I've seen 'this is the F150 of bikes' 🤔

Last edited:
Hey Stefan can lift his ebike over his shoulder! Oh wait…that’s a stripped demo.😉
Seriously though, each person has an ebike that fits them and their needs/desires/budgets. Just because Specialized buyers love to form exclusive clubs and feel superior doesn’t mean they aren’t great bikes…as long as the frames don’t crack!🤓
Certainly, many people claiming their Yugo is better than Mercedes-Benz can be found.
A Yugo seems so much more Polish than a Mercedes, which I 've owned. And yes, they were troublesome. When you are in a hole, stop digging.

No issues with the 2nd bike yet. Hopefully they have beefed up the frame. Cover nice and easy to get off.
767E526F-2C51-49CB-948F-C17F57AA9A1B.jpeg

Hopefully Specialized didn’t use pot metal this time around. Best of luck!
Your hatred against Spesh becomes legendary :D
Did they kill your grandma?!
Oh. Now I know. They don't use the Purion display :D

Your hatred against Spesh becomes legendary :D
Did they kill your grandma?!
Oh. Now I know. They don't use the Purion display :D
And I certainly don’t hate Specialized. I seriously considered buying two of them and might have if there was a decent support system near me.
I just think some Specialized owners are a bit arrogant.

For an update on my situation - red Vado 6 with broken frame mount - search back early in the thread….

it is now been almost 6 months and I’m still waiting for my warranty replacement. I can now find new Vado 5 SLs for sale near me so I think it is time for Specialized to step up and replace my bike and then some. I stopped in at my local dealer again to request they pester Specialized - I never get an update unless I call or stop in. I’m not sure if I should be frustrated with the dealer and/or Specialized for the lackluster 6 month warranty replacement path thus far…. At a minimum - how about a loaner? I also found out today that Specialized instructed the dealer to tear apart my bike and demo it.

I hope they have all my accessories and photos of my license stickers somewhere…

Back