Frame breakage Vado turbo

Specialized eventually replaced my bike under warranty which was great news. First thing I did was sell it as it is a Design Flaw and they have done nothing to prevent it happening again

For an update on my situation - red Vado 6 with broken frame mount - search back early in the thread….

it is now been almost 6 months and I’m still waiting for my warranty replacement. I can now find new Vado 5 SLs for sale near me so I think it is time for Specialized to step up and replace my bike and then some. I stopped in at my local dealer again to request they pester Specialized - I never get an update unless I call or stop in. I’m not sure if I should be frustrated with the dealer and/or Specialized for the lackluster 6 month warranty replacement path thus far…. At a minimum - how about a loaner? I also found out today that Specialized instructed the dealer to tear apart my bike and demo it.

I hope they have all my accessories and photos of my license stickers somewhere…
Do you mean demolish it or for demonstration purposes? If DEMONSTRATION they should owe you fees for using your property! Obviously with parts/bike shortages some delay would be expected but six months seems excessive and but I would agree that they could at least provide some kind of loaner. Although I'm sure that their warranty terms don't make provision for loaners and they will probably stick to their contract/warranty. Very UNFAIR.

You might want to escalate to an attorney general, consumer affairs or a local tv station's help desk. They might not appreciate the poor public relations.

Good luck

Do you mean demolish it or for demonstration purposes?

No, they meant 'demolish'. Just called my dealer yet again for an update -- nothing back from Specialized. The communication here is really hard to understand. Having a warranty on a bike that cost 1/4 as much as a car is nice. Having a warranty where promised dates are silently missed over and over again and, after 6 months, you are still in the dark, pestering the void for information, sucks.

I told my dealer that I'm frustrated and I think quite reasonably so -- he agreed. I ask them if they could provide any Specialized point of contact so I could play a more active role in this and they declined. I'm not sure how to ensure Specialized hears this feedback, or if they care, but please -- THIS ISN'T RIGHT.

At a minimum I should have a loaner dropped at my door and some communication on when a bike might be coming... If I were told that I was first on the list -- there were shipment delays and they were expected to arrive xxx -- and if xxx passed, I would get an update I'd feel better. As it stands, the logical conclusion is they made a bad bike frame and the warranty process is broken.

As someone who works in customer service, when something goes wrong you have an opportunity to actually build a bond - to handle it so well that the person becomes a customer for life and swears by your service and/or product -- or, you can lay an egg. Which of these are you doing, Specialized?

which_is_this.png

No, they meant 'demolish'. Just called my dealer yet again for an update -- nothing back from Specialized. The communication here is really hard to understand. Having a warranty on a bike that cost 1/4 as much as a car is nice. Having a warranty where promised dates are silently missed over and over again and, after 6 months, you are still in the dark, pestering the void for information, sucks.

I told my dealer that I'm frustrated and I think quite reasonably so -- he agreed. I ask them if they could provide any Specialized point of contact so I could play a more active role in this and they declined. I'm not sure how to ensure Specialized hears this feedback, or if they care, but please -- THIS ISN'T RIGHT.

At a minimum I should have a loaner dropped at my door and some communication on when a bike might be coming... If I were told that I was first on the list -- there were shipment delays and they were expected to arrive xxx -- and if xxx passed, I would get an update I'd feel better. As it stands, the logical conclusion is they made a bad bike frame and the warranty process is broken.

As someone who works in customer service, when something goes wrong you have an opportunity to actually build a bond - to handle it so well that the person becomes a customer for life and swears by your service and/or product -- or, you can lay an egg. Which of these are you doing, Specialized?

View attachment 100713

I feel really bad for your situation. I can see them demolish it so that no one tries repairing it and gets injured. But the amount of time appears to be truly untenable. Best of luck.

Or perhaps the population is easily duped into believing so.... After all, why would the brochure lie.

What region? We don't experience issues with Specialized in Poland!
Especially when we’re on the payroll.😂
Seriously though, Stefan, I understand your asking questions just like I question the guy with the Trek who broke all those spokes and his FAMILY had to walk 30 miles (probably in the snow of Florida)! We just don’t see how stuff like that happens!

Especially when we’re on the payroll.😂
Seriously though, Stefan, I understand your asking questions just like I question the guy with the Trek who broke all those spokes and his FAMILY had to walk 30 miles (probably in the snow of Florida)! We just don’t see how stuff like that happens!
I can understand some e-bikes can break. Companies such as Specialized or Trek do care. Yes, we live in interesting times with shortage of everything (including building construction material!) Still, I am interested in what region Specialized are so incompetent.

(Dallant, you seemed to experience some issue with the brake rotor on your brand new Rail; a friend of mine had the same issue on an identical e-bike: In both cases Trek solved the issue to the customer satisfaction. There was a broken freehub body in Giant's Trance E+ 2 Pro: Giant/Shimano solved that issue even if you could not buy that freehub body in the aftermarket. Same about Specialized in my region -- they solve warrantied e-bike issues -- although I had no frame breakage or other issues with my Vado).

I can understand some e-bikes can break. Companies such as Specialized or Trek do care. Yes, we live in interesting times with shortage of everything (including building construction material!) Still, I am interested in what region Specialized are so incompetent.

(Dallant, you seemed to experience some issue with the brake rotor on your brand new Rail; a friend of mine had the same issue on an identical e-bike: In both cases Trek solved the issue to the customer satisfaction. There was a broken freehub body in Giant's Trance E+ 2 Pro: Giant/Shimano solved that issue even if you could not buy that freehub body in the aftermarket. Same about Specialized in my region -- they solve warrantied e-bike issues -- although I had no frame breakage or other issues with my Vado).
So let us summarize...
In instances where Specialized can bully and backcharge component suppliers, they are willing to help.
In all other cases where the burden and cost falls on them... it's go f%©k yourself.
Gee.. ever wonder the origin of Polish jokes 🤔

I unfortunately had the same thing two weeks ago. According to specialized that goes on warranty, since I am the first owner and the bike was purchased in May 2019. I get a completely new bike, when that is delivered, however, is open.

View attachment 93891
In the meantime I have received a new Vado 5.0 bike for free.
Unfortunately, not the new version ;), but it is a 1:1 replacement.

It took about 3 months until I got the replacement bike.

Last edited:
In the meantime I have received a new Vado 5.0 bike for free.
Unfortunately, not the new version ;), but it is a 1:1 replacement.

It took about 3 months until I got the replacement bike.
I've been looking at this thread again, and others, and it may be a problem from 2019.

Although I bought my Vado 4 in 2020, it was a 2019 model (ie) 11 speed.

Still waiting for Specialized to pronounce on my warranty claim, which was processed at the week-end by the LBS.

I am a little tense because I made quite a lot of changes to the bike to suit me (ie) suspension seat post, saddle, grips etc - we will see.

How are you getting on with your bike replacement?

I am in a similar situation with a Vado 4 and it would be good to know how you are getting on.
I got a call a week or two ago and have a new Vado 5 in my garage. I’ve only ridden it a bit - it seems much more upright than my previous 6 - design of frame is more ‘unisex’ which frankly might not be a bad thing for ease of getting on/off.
Seat post sits lower than previous - I have to adjust it.
now works with specialized app. I was also able to jam an apple Itag into the bottom of the fork for a little added tracking capability.
I’ll let you know how it rides once I start biking to work again in Jan.

I got a call a week or two ago and have a new Vado 5 in my garage. I’ve only ridden it a bit - it seems much more upright than my previous 6 - design of frame is more ‘unisex’ which frankly might not be a bad thing for ease of getting on/off.
Seat post sits lower than previous - I have to adjust it.
now works with specialized app. I was also able to jam an apple Itag into the bottom of the fork for a little added tracking capability.
I’ll let you know how it rides once I start biking to work again in Jan.
Many thanks for you and pajazzo bringing us up to date with your situations - much appreciated.

I am a bit more relaxed about a possible replacement now :).

Did you get a 2022 model Vado 5?

Many thanks for you and pajazzo bringing us up to date with your situations - much appreciated.

I am a bit more relaxed about a possible replacement now :).

Did you get a 2022 model Vado 5?
No, unfortunately I did not receive the 2022 model. That would have been too nice but apparently Specialized has still found an old model somewhere in the basement ;)

I've just heard from the LBS that Specialized will supply me with a new bike - next year some time. They also suggested that the broken frame could be welded to get me back on the road in the meantime.

The LBS is not happy with that course of action, and have offered me a 2021 Vado 4 (Blue, not lovely Red :) ) and move all my parts on to it. They will get the new bike when it comes in, I assume.

I asked if we are likely to see a repeat performance, and the LBS said that an extra support has been added to the frame to stop that happening again.

I have settled for this course of action - not perfect, but gets me mobile again.

Just collected the bike and, with my agreement, because the spec of the 2019 Vado 4 is higher than the 2021 and I had lots of things on it I did myself, they have taken everything from my old bike and put it on the new one.

I now have a worksheet which says "new frame, motor and wiring harness" - Free of Charge.

Thinking about it some more, this is a win/win for us both - they now have a lot of brand new components they can put on the shelf, with a new bike coming in March (ish). The folks in the workshop had to do a shed load of work, for which I am grateful. In terms of what I wanted, I have ended up in the right place.

I also had a chat with the owner of the shop, and he said it is all the 2019 and older bikes which are failing - none of the new ones since they've been modified.

Another page turns :).

Last edited:
Just collected the bike and, with my agreement, because the spec of the 2019 Vado 4 is higher than the 2021 and I had lots of things on it I did myself, they have taken everything from my old bike and put it on the new one.

I now have a worksheet which says "new frame, motor and wiring harness" - Free of Charge.

Thinking about it some more, this is a win/win for us both - they now have a lot of brand new components they can put on the shelf, with a new bike coming in March (ish). The folks in the workshop had to do a shed load of work, for which I am grateful. In terms of what I wanted, I have ended up in the right place.

I also had a chat with the owner of the shop, and he said it is all the 2019 and older bikes which are failing - none of the new ones since they've been modified.

Another page turns :).
Sounds like you fared okay. Enjoy.

Is it only the Vado's from that era (like it was thousands of years ago!) or could it be Creo's and whatever else dates from then?

Back