Fork 101

PacNwTexan

To you experts...

What do I need to know before researching a fork swap on the Moscow + 27.5 ?

I can't even find true specs other than "upgraded". Figured I bought cheap (for the sport) so will ride hard. XCM Suntour from my understanding is very entry quality.

Anyone ever contact the Suntour upgrade program? Or swap for an upgraded suspension?

Does anyone know if the existing fork is straight tube or tapered where it goes into the headset?

The fork is a straight tube which limits your choices. I ended up replacing it with a RockShox ReconRLR which is one of the few that would fit. I also ended up putting on some heavy-duty mountain biking tires, Maxxis Assegai Wide trim 3C/TR - 27.5. Many would say the NCM rims are not not wide enough for these tires but I was able to get them on and they work great. Also since I was getting flats fairly often (not the bikes fault) I added Mr. Tuffy Ultra Tire Liners and Slime self-healing tire tubes. I have had this configuration for a year and done a lot of crazy mountain biking over rocky surfaces and not had a flat.
NCM 1.jpg

Could you possibly share where you got the fork and the price?
Of course. I had my local bike shop buy it, see image. You may be able to get it for a lower price online. I bought a 27.5" as recommended by the store. Most bikes currently have tapered head pipes on the forks but the NCM is straight (old school) so that is why there aren't many choices. If you do mountain bike I would highly recommend the switchover. Instead of paying $3K for an electric mountain bike I bought the NCM and added forks, tires and also a Thudbuster seat post. The Thudbuster IMHO gets you half way to rear suspension. Good luck.

Front Fork.png

I am questioning if my shocks are blown, do spring shocks blow?

When grabbing the front break and rocking back and forth, there is a slight wobble that is not coming from my headset. Could it be the fork inside the stanchion? I don't see the play, but have also ruled out a loose quick release, rotor, wheel or brake issue.

Also quite a bit of rattling when riding rocky rough dirt roads.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
The fork is a straight tube which limits your choices. I ended up replacing it with a RockShox ReconRLR which is one of the few that would fit. I also ended up putting on some heavy-duty mountain biking tires, Maxxis Assegai Wide trim 3C/TR - 27.5. Many would say the NCM rims are not not wide enough for these tires but I was able to get them on and they work great. Also since I was getting flats fairly often (not the bikes fault) I added Mr. Tuffy Ultra Tire Liners and Slime self-healing tire tubes. I have had this configuration for a year and done a lot of crazy mountain biking over rocky surfaces and not had a flat.
View attachment 61650
I've been dying to put a lighter air fork on my 29er and though I've not had it apart, was under the impression, by the specs that the stock fork is straight, but has a 1½" bottom bearing to fit the tapered head tube. That should mean a relatively easy upgrade to a tapered fork. I've been shopping for a cheap chinese knock off with a tapered stem, but would grudgingly go with a straight pipe if I had to... I'm just concerned that it is a straight fork I would have trouble fitting, as it has no provision for the wider bottom bearing.

Back