FLX Blade 2.0

Rohloff says the maximum input torque for the hub is 100Nm. According to the FLX site this bike puts out 160Nm of torque. Does anyone see that as being an issue?

Should be ok without throttle. The bike is not compliant with rohloff standards so you'll be on the hook after flx warranty runs out.

Rohloff says the maximum input torque for the hub is 100Nm. According to the FLX site this bike puts out 160Nm of torque. Does anyone see that as being an issue?

It shouldn't be an issue - the tolerances are usually much higher than advertised. Also see the previous links in this thread, the worst that'll happen is some easy to replace pieces strip and it takes an hour for your local bike shop to fix.

It shouldn't be an issue - the tolerances are usually much higher than advertised. Also see the previous links in this thread, the worst that'll happen is some easy to replace pieces strip and it takes an hour for your local bike shop to fix.
And which LBS is that again exactly that works on these bikes?

Sorry...the answer above yours is the correct one....'you'll be on the hook..."

Yeah, I contacted my buddy that owns a bike shop and he didn't even know what a Rohloff speedhub was. So I'll have to check around and hopefully find a place that does. Other than that I think you have to ship them back to Germany. I would hate to have to do that considering the bike would probably be out of service for at least a month.

Spoke to someone at FLX today and I guess they are still on track to ship this month. I hope it's sooner rather than later because I want to get in as much riding as I can while the weather is nice. And I'm hoping I can sell my Trail Gen 3 once I get the Blade 2.0

OH! As I was about to post this I got a notification that they replied to my YouTube comment. They say they are sending them out soon!!! Can't wait!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200402-160628_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200402-160628_YouTube.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 351
Other vendors are working to fix this issue, which is the throttle on ultra G510 can send too much power to the Rohloff when throttling in certain gears, when you dig into this it's the throttle that is the issue, I forget which gear but there is a straight through gear where you couldn't burn it out, but nobody can control the end user to using that gear. No throttle, not an issue. The toughest gear with full throttle up a hill is going to shorten the life of this component.

Since the throttle is optional on this bike, my advice is don't have it, or find out what your straight through gear is and only throttle on that gear.

This is what one bike company did to mitigate the power of the motor on the cassette
Gearshift Sensor

Cuts off motor power momentarily when shifting gears. The motor will shut off for less than 3 milliseconds when shifting gears to protect the drivetrain. As the motor is quite powerful, this feature is necessary for the smooth shifting of gears

Last edited:
Well, how do you determine the straight thru gear? I wonder if it matters if you simply don’t use the throttle from a standing start?

Well, how do you determine the straight thru gear? I wonder if it matters if you simply don’t use the throttle from a standing start?

I found the info

1. The Rohloff has 6 nylon shear -pins inside the hub which is designed to sacrificially prevent damage to the gears in the case of higher torque loads. This means the worst you are risking is a $100 repair job if you do “fry” your Rohloff. You will know when these nylon shears break loose because the Rohloff will spin uselessly without spinning the tire when the nylon pins break loose.
  2. 11th gear is the straight through gear, in this gear you will not slip and it is the safest one to run high power through.
  3. The lower the gear the more likely you are to break the nylon pins loose…so when riding with a lot of power stay up high. Be careful not to apply too much torque when climbing steep hills in low gear.

Another company has decided they won't risk it and that the maximum NM they will allow on any gear when throttling from a G510 ultra is 90nm to protect the Rohloff, non-throttle is always the full power of the160nm, I think that gives you the best of both worlds. I have hub drive with throttle and I wouldn't want an Ebike without a throttle, I always use them on the way back of a long bike trip, but never on the way out, I am trying to exercise. It also really drains your battery, but if I am on the way back and I still have 3 bars of power(5 is full charge) I don't care.

Last edited:
Its just so hard to believe that they would use something like this hub in a situation (it s 5500.00 bike after all) that is questionable!!!!! I wonder how you determine what "11th" gear is?

... Be careful not to apply too much torque when climbing steep hills in low gear.

LOL, that's exactly when one needs to apply lots of torque!

Don't get me wrong - I love that the Rofloff actually exists. If you want to see how it works:

If you jump to 3:10 in, you'll see the 9 small nylon pins that couple the output and that will break if too much force is applied. I assume replacing these is what costs $100.

And from Rohloff itself, how it's made:

LOL, that's exactly when one needs to apply lots of torque!

Don't get me wrong - I love that the Rofloff actually exists. If you want to see how it works:

If you jump to 3:10 in, you'll see the 9 small nylon pins that couple the output and that will break if too much force is applied. I assume replacing these is what costs $100.

And from Rohloff itself, how it's made:

Just don't throttle in gear one on up a 15% grade hill. Now I would do it in gear 11.
I do wonder if you tried to just peddle in gear 1 up the hill how much extra strain is being put on the Rolhoff verses if you went half way like gear 7?

Back