FLX Blade 2.0

Thanks will do that ... however, I had my LBS order the front rotor. If FLX doesnt want to cover a shop repair, I’ll use the warranty covered disk as a spare. Just gotta get on the bike. After almost 3 months of corona protocols my patience needs rebooting and no place better than my new Blade.

Reactions: TMH
Sarah says FLX will cover LBS rotor warranty work. Great, now about that tricky bolt ...

Yeah that bolt got me yesterday :( It was fine for the last couple weeks, but then yesterday it just decided to make a leap for it and ground me to a halt as I was leaving the parking lot of my apartment complex.

OK, I'm not a "glass half-empty" guy, however the problems with the new Blade cropping up on this forum can ramp up the anxiety. After countless hours researching my new ebike, then going with FLX to get the bike I wanted at a reasonable price, my mind is beginning to doubt my process ... hate this feeling. So, my question is this: Who out there is enjoying their new Blade 2.0 without any problems?

OK, rode my Blade2 home this morning ... six miles of liking this bike more and more. As I forgot how to switch between eco and sport, the ride was in eco (someone reminding me that I have a barking hamstring). Power was always there, and mostly in a smooth manner ... and even in eco you knew you had more. The LBS went over the entire bike tightening and adjusting, and the bike performing as I had expected months ago. The Rohloff is a learning curve ... first time ever on a bike without a derailleur. No noise, tried hard to filter out the different sounds and the only noise came from the tires. I was excited when I got on, and excited when I got off at home. Hope we have many miles ahead of us ...

I just placed an order for a Blade 2.0 and I’m looking forward to an August delivery assuming no more delays.

I’m coming from a Specialized Turbo S that I use for a daily year round 20 mile commute in Seattle. Crappy roads and wet weather along with some big hills to start and end my commute. I wanted something other than another big brand with gobs of power that can handle the commute with an owner that likes to ignore maintenance. The belt drive and internal hub were major draws. I looked at R&M but you pay so much more for a louder and lower powered bike.

I just tried to convert a Priority 600 to electric (Pinion gearbox and Gates belt drive) but we couldn’t make it work so that has been sold.

I look forward to hearing more as owners take delivery. I’ll be swapping to better road tires and have a question out to FLX to ensure a 2.8 width will fit (Moto X) but also considering the Energizer which I hear handles rain even better. Any advice is welcome. I also have a Kinekt seatpost on order...I love them on my other bikes.

Cheers.

I can no longer recommend FLX due to their customer service issues and lack of Rohloff warranty due to FLX offering unrestricted throttle and rear rotor exceeding Rohloff spec. Last thing you are going to want to do is deal with FLX customer support if your Rohloff fails. You will only have warranty for 1 year from FLX (assuming you can even get support). Watt Wagons offers a better bike for the money with superior controller, warranty and customer service.

I’m hoping that the Rohloff is conservatively specced. I looked at the Biktrix Ultra Eagle but it looks like a well designed conversion with the cabling zip tied. I could get past that but I’m really curious to see how the Gates belt and Rohloff hub perform and if it can provide the smooth low maintenance commuter that I’m looking for. Watt Wagons looked interesting but their new commuter oriented bike isn’t available until October. It has the same problem over potentially overloading the Rohloff but I see that the bike does include a 2 year warranty which would be nice. I’m rolling the dice with FLX in more ways than one but I had a smooth ride on a big brand ebike for many years and I’m ready to take a chance on this next one. I have to be fully honest and admit that the look makes a difference to me as well and I love the way the FLX looks compared to the other top options.

Thanks for the tip on the Moto X sizing. I see now that I could go down a bit in size to the 2.4 or up a bit to the 2.8 (assuming those fit). I’ll give the company a call and see what they recommend for Seattle weather and my type of commute. Puncture resistance is also high on my list. Changing a flat on the way to work in a rainstorm isn’t any fun.

I have the 2.4" Moto X on my Frey CC. Absolutely love them. I also believe these are the stock tires on the Watt Wagons UCP / superbike. I initially requested 2.6" Moto X but Frey said there wouldn't be enough clearance for rack and fenders so another reason to go with 2.4".

BTW, read up on the benefits of the Watt Wagons Archon X1 controller. If you are coming from a refined euro spec I think you'll be disappointed in the Ultra unless you go with the aftermarket controller which is only offered by Watt Wagons.

If you want integrated battery and can wait I think the superbike is a better choice if you are looking for a commuter. When you add up the cost including the controller upgrade it's a bargain. The Blade 2.0 has more of a MTB geometry.

I have the 2.4" Moto X on my Frey CC. Absolutely love them. I also believe these are the stock tires on the Watt Wagons UCP / superbike. I initially requested 2.6" Moto X but Frey said there wouldn't be enough clearance for rack and fenders so another reason to go with 2.4".

BTW, read up on the benefits of the Watt Wagons Archon X1 controller. If you are coming from a refined euro spec I think you'll be disappointed in the Ultra unless you go with the aftermarket controller which is only offered by Watt Wagons.
I think you meant 2.8 not 2.6. Main difference is 2.4 comes with Greenguard which is higher rated puncture protection than Raceguard which 2.8 come with. If you decide to get Tannus Armor, then 2.8 may be better option if you like wider tires.

Correct, I requested the widest available but in hindsight glad I got 2.4 as they are wide enough and so far have been bomber in terms of avoiding flats on city bike paths road gutters littered with hazards and gravel paths.

Correct, I requested the widest available but in hindsight glad I got 2.4 as they are wide enough and so far have been bomber in terms of avoiding flats on city bike paths road gutters littered with hazards and gravel paths.
Yeah, I still haven't made up my mind on the tire width for my UC Pro since we get Tannus Armor included (Founders only) which resolves the gap between Greenguard on the 2.4 and Raceguard on the 2.8. Greenguard with Tannus seems a bit overkill. 🙄

UC Pro seems like it is going to be an incredible bike and the more I read about Watt Wagons the more I like how they are doing business. That being said, I'm sticking with the Blade 2.0 and will consider the stand-alone controller upgrade that WW offers if I feel the need for it down the road. I'm glad to see if offered stand alone. I really need a bike by August at the latest...I just hope that FLX says on their delivery schedule. I looked at the City Commuter from WW but at 265lbs, I'm a bit heavy for the bike. I was trending down at a nice clip pre-COVID and work from home :)

UC Pro seems like it is going to be an incredible bike and the more I read about Watt Wagons the more I like how they are doing business. That being said, I'm sticking with the Blade 2.0 and will consider the stand-alone controller upgrade that WW offers if I feel the need for it down the road. I'm glad to see if offered stand alone. I really need a bike by August at the latest...I just hope that FLX says on their delivery schedule. I looked at the City Commuter from WW but at 265lbs, I'm a bit heavy for the bike. I was trending down at a nice clip pre-COVID and work from home :)
$6k is a lot of money and to do a stand alone upgrade will add another $1k to the cost. If you already have a bike (even a non-electric), it may be better to use that for now or just buy a low cost bike until the UC Pro is ready. I personally would wait rather than have buyer's remorse on such a large purchase. But everyone has different priorities, so whatever you decide, I hope it meets your expectations. :)

Every brand has its ambassadors and I appreciate all of the advocacy for Watt Wagons...it seems well deserved on their part. I'm looking forward to my Blade 2.0, I think it has all the things that I want from an e-bike that will see bad city street and trail use. Any other initial impressions from folks that have taken delivery already?

First post here from Atlanta And shopping high end Ebikes. Avid performance car guy ( AMG GT), and so it carries into this category.

A little overwhelmed about all the new technology, as it reminds me of cell phones in 2010. This is a great place to dispel a lot of what I’m reading online, and I appreciate all of your posts and info here.

So on Monday I sent an email and chat request for the new FLX blade, as I had several questions about the controller i.e. Is it G510, and on the touring model what street Tires were available. Crickets. Left a voicemail crickets. Received an email yesterday from rep saying controller it is an ultra. That’s it.

Never considered buying anything online without physical dealer support, and this confirms the disassociation. Is this typical?

And lBS has a new Bulls Iconic TR1 speed coming in. Any thoughts on this bike?

Last edited:
I challenge you to send an email to watt wagons or message the owner pushkar on this forum if you want to see what world-class service is like for an online e-bike purchase.

What I've found recently is that bikes and e-bikes are in worldwide demand to a level never before seen. Every local bike shop in my area has a multi-week delay on service and limits on the number of bikes a person can buy...they can't get enough supply. Parts are delayed, service is overwhelmed, etc. That has been true for the most expensive highest end brands and every independent that I've talked to. The summary...have patience if you are trying to buy a bike right now.

I asked about street tires for the Blade 2.0 and was told it was a no-go, they are not customizing beyond what is in the configurator. I'm just planning to buy a set of street tires, along with a few other aftermarket goodies, to swap when the bike finally arrives. Which will be amazing if it happens in August as they claim given the likelihood of COVID driven delays.

Back