Floor jack lift under Bafang Ultra motor?

The Mudshark

Region
USA
Trying to be a smart-monkey getting a heavy Ebike (~67 lbs w/o battery) into a repair stand or propped on jack stands. Called mfgr (Bakcou) and the Wrench-on-Duty said they use a hoist attached to frame, but floor jack lift should be "ok" if one is careful. Any experience or advice most welcome. Thx.

I assume you’re talking about a floor jack for a car, like this?https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-red-56624.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzExMDc1MDQiLCJza3UiOiI1NjYyNCIsImlzIjoiMTE5Ljk5In0=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=16258065299&campaignid=16258065299&utm_content=141758050450&adsetid=141758050450&product=56624&store=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgsnd66HX_QIVCa_ICh2vmAt4EAQYASABEgI-f_D_BwE

If so, a floor jack should work well in theory and could certainly handle the weight; but how would you position the bike on the jack in order to ensure that it doesn’t fall off of the rather small lifting point on the jack platform while raising the jack? I have a floor jack for my car; but I can’t picture how I’d secure a bike to it. But then again, I’m not super-creative.

Another issue, even assuming you can lift it safely on a floor jack: how would you then transfer it to the repair stand? If 67lbs is too much to lift it into the repair stand in the first place, then wouldn’t that same weight be a problem in transferring it to the repair stand?

Thx for responding.

Yes, that's the tool. The lift plate centers nicely under the motor and it's just a matter of balancing carefully while lifting. Idea was to lift until top tube is in line with stand clamp and then attach. Might be a 2-person operation, though one could possibly craft a cradle that keeps the bike fixed on the jack. My primary concern is whether the motor or frame would be damaged by lifting in this manner. The hoist approach makes much more sense, but I'm looking at simpler options first...

Got it. I’d say that definitely sounds like a 2 person job to balance it while lifting: I wouldn’t want the risk of that much weight falling on me (or the risk of damage to the bike from the momentum of that much weight falling if it falls to the other side rather than on me).

But: if you have a second person to help with the procedure, might it not be simpler to just have that second person help you get it on the stand without using the floor jack at all? 67lbs is pretty heavy to try to lift by oneself, at least given the position that one person would be trying to lift it from; but for two people, 33-ish lbs each - one lifting from the front and the other from the rear and using your legs to do most of the actual lifting work - should be doable for most people, I’d think (putting aside any pre-existing disabilities or infirmities, of course).

Also: it’s been a while since I’ve used my floor jack, but I think you might be in for more bouncing/instability of the bike while lifting than you might be picturing. With a car, you don’t have that issue because there are thousands of pounds resting on the jack as you’re lifting it; but remember that it’ll take many pumps of the jack’s lever arm to get the bike up to the height you want, and 67lbs balanced somewhat precariously on the lift point likely won’t be enough to dampen the bouncing from pumping the lever arm up and down.

Oh, also: most jack stands that I’ve used have wheels that don’t lock. So you’d have to chock the wheels somehow to keep it from moving while you’re pumping the arm to lift the bike.

The more I think about it, the more I don’t like it. 😂 Got any strong neighbors/neighborhood teenagers that’ll just lift that sucker on and off of the stand for you?

Last edited:
Good points C...

Indeed, if you've got 2 people on hand why fuss with the floor jack ballet (duh...). Neighbor's kids are young and beefy, but I'm trying to avoid becoming the needy old man, lol. Still pondering the cradle idea if lifting won't do damage. Otherwise, there's hoist install to be done. Just need to fortify garage rafters and add an attachment for chain hoist... Sigh...

I hear you: I’m “only” 51 years old and just beginning to give in to the reality of my impending decrepitude … 😂 In my case, liftin’ and totin’ heavy stuff still works just fine: but due to pre-osteoarthritis in my one hip and sciatica on the other side, I'm going to get a step-thru ebike as my second bike for those days when either of those conditions flares up such that swinging my leg all the way over the top tube is uncomfortable and/or just to be able to alternate bikes in order to minimize such flare ups.

What I've done with heavy bikes is to put a long, backless, seat bench in front on my bike stand, then lift the bike onto that stand one wheel at a time. Attach the bike stand and tighten everything down, then slide the bench out of the way.

Smart variation on the milk crate approach I read earlier. Simple, elegant. But... it removes an opportunity to tinker with my shop setup, lol.

Look around for an old Hoyer wheel chair lift, looks like a mini "cherry picker"/engine hoist. I have a couple I paid $10. for, will list 350 lbs, break down for easy storage.

Much appreciated 454! Was not familiar with these lifts. Might be a two-fer. Lift my ebike, then me when I can't ride anymore...

Unless you want the bike chest high off the floor, there's a simpler approach. Lift just the front wheel and set it on a milk crate or stool. Attach it to the work stand and pivot the rear wheel up off the ground. Although my bike weighs 65#, this way, I only have to lift around 20#.

I prefer sitting while working on the bike so this procedure gives me all the height I need.

Thx for the recommendation. Perhaps it worked well for you, but there are many negative reviews from ebikers citing cheesy materials/design and noting it's not suited for heavy machines. Hard pass on this one.
Sorry.... I was lazy in my post (search), but I did say "something similar to this"
This is more like it.
or
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUL2DO/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
😉

Yeah, like this,..

Screenshot_20230318-173500_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I bolted a U-bolt to the rafters above my ceiling.
A pair of tie-down straps are plenty strong enough to support my entire 70-80 pound ebike.
A strap at either end gets the whole ebike in the air
I use the "lift" mostly to get either end at a more comfortable working level, so that I don't have to bend over.

20230210_121156.jpg20221118_221518.jpg

Back