Flashing Headlamp On E-Bike During Daytime Rides

Jim1348

I will often run a steady burn headlamp, that is mounted on my helmet, when I ride in the daytime.

I have been giving some thought to moving up to a headlamp that flashes.

Is anybody here using a flashing headlamp in the daytime?

Does it help you get noticed more than a steady burn headlamp?

My brighter headlight always flashes during day rides. I have no statistics, but I do know that flashing headlights on bikes and motorcycles catch my own eye. That's reason enough for me.

While I'm not bothered by a small flashing light on a bicycle I find a flashing full-size headlight on a motorcycle to be very distracting.

Flashing lights are more visible (that has been tested in studies) and are more identified with bicycles than motorcycles. The downside is that it's harder to judge distance and relative motion of a blinking light. So during the day, blinking seems best safety wise (since once they notice you, the rest of you is already visible). But at night, there's a risk that you are seen but they can't tell how close they are or how fast they are closing.

Flashing lights are more visible (that has been tested in studies) and are more identified with bicycles than motorcycles. The downside is that it's harder to judge distance and relative motion of a blinking light. So during the day, blinking seems best safety wise (since once they notice you, the rest of you is already visible). But at night, there's a risk that you are seen but they can't tell how close they are or how fast they are closing.
Agree, flashing front headlight fine for the day, but nighttime front flash is distracting/annoying...

I don't ride at night, but if I did it would be with my light on regular night mode.
Interestingly, the headlight I'm now using has two bulb and the light can be set to run one bulb in flash mode and the other in solid mode.

A flashing front light paired with Hi-Vis is doubly visual.
But I agree, flashing at night is unsafe for the rider — unless you are into strobe lighting. Tripping in the ‘60s.

I don't ride at night, but if I did it would be with my light on regular night mode.
Interestingly, the headlight I'm now using has two bulb and the light can be set to run one bulb in flash mode and the other in solid mode.
That's how I ride, with multiple front lights with at least one in solid mode and another in flashing mode.
Same with the rear.

Back