FIXED: How do you add rider power to Garmin on Specialized Creo SL?

kattanm

I see some of you have figured that out. I’ve searched the forum, etc., and can’t figure out how you are doing that. I have the Fake Channel set to Rider Power. My Garmin 830 sees what looks like a Creo Power Meter as a sensor, which I can connect to. But when I ride, power simply looks like about 100W or so no matter what I do on the pedals. Sorry if this has been answered, and I didn’t find the answer in my search.

I tried to use the fake channel to show motor power and had the same issue. For rider power I just use the regular Garmin field for power that you will see as an option when you set up your Garmin data fields, where you set up the head unit for cadence, speed etc. There are a number of different power data fields you can choose (average, 3 second power, lap power etc). Seems to work fine although I am not sure how accurate the data is. It is not at all what I am used to seeing on my other bike with a Quark power meter.

I tried to use the fake channel to show motor power and had the same issue. For rider power I just use the regular Garmin field for power that you will see as an option when you set up your Garmin data fields, where you set up the head unit for cadence, speed etc. There are a number of different power data fields you can choose (average, 3 second power, lap power etc). Seems to work fine although I am not sure how accurate the data is. It is not at all what I am used to seeing on my other bike with a Quark power meter.
Ok so I will just turn off the Fake Channel, connect Garmin to Creo power meter (as I did before)? Having the Fake Channel enabled is what's causing my problem?

I had the same problem where it seemed to only report around 100 watts regardless. Then it started to report power levels that seemed correlated to my effort. I can't remember what I changed though, but it appears to be giving me correct readings now.

Thanks everyone. They key is disabling the Fake Channel setting in Mission Control. In fact, the Creo manual should probably say "If you're using a Garmin, ignore this Fake Channel section."

Has anyone been able to get the Creo to send accurate RIDER power. When I compare what Creo is sending to my Garmin Fenix 6 versus what my Garmin Vector pedals send, it seems as if the Creo sends approximately twice the actual output of my legs. Since I track my training using data from the Garmin Fenix, this means the Creo is completely unusable unless I mount the Vector pedals and use those results. That's fine if I am using the Creo on the road but when I want to go onto something more technical, having to unclip from those pedals is not good. I've attached a PDF that shows the output of the pedals on the Samsung (running bluetooth capture software - the wattage is the big green number reading 97) and with the output of the Creo on the Fenix watch (showing 200). Although this is a just a snapshot, this 2X discrepancy is consistent (I couldn't load the .MOV that shows this and had to just do a capture of a moment).

As you can see, the wattage the Creo is sending is about double what the pedals are sending. I have confidence that the pedals are correct based upon a lot of experience and because they agree with what my Tacx stationary trainer also reports (also I could be on the Tour if the Creo wattage was correct).

Anybody else have this problem and, if so, do you have a fix?

Attachments

• Vector vs Creo Power Reporting.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 440
I have a Vado and no power meter pedals, but my gut feel comparing effort in some situations on the Vado vs. the wattage that I see when using my KICKR Core trainer at a similar effort level is that -- at least on the Vado -- the power is reasonably accurate. It's certainly not double or I'd be seeing numbers that are beyond my ability!

Is the motor on? My Wahoo seems to show combined power of my input plus what the bike puts out. It also varies a lot.

Has anyone been able to get the Creo to send accurate RIDER power. When I compare what Creo is sending to my Garmin Fenix 6 versus what my Garmin Vector pedals send, it seems as if the Creo sends approximately twice the actual output of my legs. Since I track my training using data from the Garmin Fenix, this means the Creo is completely unusable unless I mount the Vector pedals and use those results. That's fine if I am using the Creo on the road but when I want to go onto something more technical, having to unclip from those pedals is not good. I've attached a PDF that shows the output of the pedals on the Samsung (running bluetooth capture software - the wattage is the big green number reading 97) and with the output of the Creo on the Fenix watch (showing 200). Although this is a just a snapshot, this 2X discrepancy is consistent (I couldn't load the .MOV that shows this and had to just do a capture of a moment).

As you can see, the wattage the Creo is sending is about double what the pedals are sending. I have confidence that the pedals are correct based upon a lot of experience and because they agree with what my Tacx stationary trainer also reports (also I could be on the Tour if the Creo wattage was correct).

Anybody else have this problem and, if so, do you have a fix?
And on your Garmin device you’re reading the sensor of the bike’s power meter? Also the e-bike sensor is not connected, and in Mission Control, the fake channel is disabled? That’s my setup and reads about right.

I use a Garmin 530 to record my rides. I just reviewed some of my rides over the last couple of months on the Wahoo Kickr and on Creo outdoor rides. The average power output is within 10 or 15 watts, regardless of device, definitely not double. I have a gut feeling the Creo may be showing slightly higher power output, though that could be just the difference mentally in riding on real roads.

I use a Garmin 530 to record my rides. I just reviewed some of my rides over the last couple of months on the Wahoo Kickr and on Creo outdoor rides. The average power output is within 10 or 15 watts, regardless of device, definitely not double. I have a gut feeling the Creo may be showing slightly higher power output, though that could be just the difference mentally in riding on real roads.
My Creo and my Roubaix give quite similar power readings. Nothing like double on the Creo.

For those who say that they are not seeing any significant difference using Garmin bike computer to read power off the Creo and (on a different bike) from a regular power meter do your Garmin computers show "E-Bike PWR" as well as standard PWR from the Creo? I was told that the bike computers do this and to use the regular PWR value. This makes perfect sense and would explain the problem. However, I am using a Fenix 6 watch to collect this data. It works perfectly in all other regards but there are no E-Bike fields shown and I'm thinking the Fenix is confusing the E-Bike PWR with standard PWR.

"power simply looks like about 100W or so no matter what I do on the pedals." This is exactly what I wanted to resolve. I turned off the fake channel and works perfectly now. Thanks all for the info. The power showing on the Garmin seems 30% higher than what I would expect.

After many rides now on the Creo, I’d say power looks about 10% higher than what I see on other bikes.

After many rides now on the Creo, I’d say power looks about 10% higher than what I see on other bikes.
there’s a more extensive discussion (inconclusive) on the creo group on facebook in which some say it aligns with their other bikes and quite a few say it’s 10-15% high…

Back