Would like Creo fields on my Garmin

kattanm

Here are some cool fields I want on my Garmin Edge 830. Partial success:
1. Assist level. ebike data field from Connect IQ gives me this.
2. Percent bike battery life remaining. Again, ebike data field solves this.
3. Percent bike battery life remaining including extender (external) battery. Can't figure this out.
4. My power. Creo power meter tells me this.
5. Power provided by bike. Can't figure this one out.

Any of you figure out 3 and 5 on a Garmin? I don't want to mount my phone and run Mission Control also, ideally.

I believe the new TCU display on top tube would give me 3 and 5, if I can upgrade my Creo. Not on my Garmin, but I could live with that, if it works.

5. Power provided by bike. Can't figure this one out.
Not available via ANT+, unavailable for Garmin/Wahoo.

3. Percent bike battery life remaining including extender (external) battery. Can't figure this out.
Cannot tell you for Garmin. Wahoo gives individual figures for either battery, like 92/96 %.
Is E-Bike Field really necessary? I thought you could display E-Bike sensor parameters without a special data page on Garmin? (I could be wrong).

@DaveMatthews: Do you really need E-Bike Field on your 830?

Last edited:
I have in the past displayed the eBike Battery Garmin field on my 1030+. MC shows a fully charged battery and RE as 150% but the Garmin field only shows 100%. I don't need to use that field so I have not followed up to to get a good correlation between the MC number and the Garmin number. I'm using a 1040 now and they've tried to add more ebike functions that I don't need and it's led to some annoying prompts such as "the current route exceeds your battery" or "turn down your assist level to get more range" as I was climbing a hill. As for bike power, I saw posts on the Garmin forums but no responses.

I have in the past displayed the eBike Battery Garmin field on my 1030+. MC shows a fully charged battery and RE as 150% but the Garmin field only shows 100%. I don't need to use that field so I have not followed up to to get a good correlation between the MC number and the Garmin number. I'm using a 1040 now and they've tried to add more ebike functions that I don't need and it's led to some annoying prompts such as "the current route exceeds your battery" or "turn down your assist level to get more range" as I was climbing a hill. As for bike power, I saw posts on the Garmin forums but no responses.
When you were showing ebike battery garmin field on your 1030+, were you using that ebike data field from connectIQ?

Not available via ANT+, unavailable for Garmin/Wahoo.

Cannot tell you for Garmin. Wahoo gives individual figures for either battery, like 92/96 %.
Is E-Bike Field really necessary? I thought you could display E-Bike sensor parameters without a special data page on Garmin? (I could be wrong).

@DaveMatthews: Do you really need E-Bike Field on your 830?
I could not figure out a way to see battery life natively on garmin without the special connectIQ data field add on. Interesting that the Wahoo does that, plus the RE battery. Does Wahoo show assist level too?

Does Wahoo show assist level too?
Wahoo shows the following e-bike data:
  • LEV Travel Mode: it is read from a specific e-bike type (so it would be SPORT on Vado/Como/Creo/Tero or TRAIL on Levo/Kenevo, or Giant specific name on Giant e-bikes)
  • LEV Battery (showing the internal and RE levels individually)
  • LEV Range (only for e-bikes supporting it, that is, Giant or probably Specialized Mastermind TCU).
Verified for Wahoo Roam v1 and v2, Bolt v2.

Interestingly, the Smart Control is displayed as SMART on Vado SL but TURBO on older Vado :)

Oh boy. Now I’m learning that Wahoo is better than Garmin for the Creo because it will natively show me the assist level and both battery levels. In 5 seconds of research looks like the Roam V2 is the nicest one.

Wahoo is better than Garmin for the Creo
I'm a great fan of the Wahoo computers. I know the Garmin fans can manage anything on their devices. My choice of Wahoo was dictated with big solid buttons that I could operate under any weather in gloves, the compact size, and the fact you configured everything from the smartphone (instead of doing it from the device).

Be warned: Wahoo has some glitches:
  • Slow acquiring of GPS after turning the device on
  • Inaccurate thermometer (can be 10 F off).
I have gone through the three iterations of Wahoo ELEMNT computers and can live with the imperfections I have just described :)

I'm a great fan of the Wahoo computers. I know the Garmin fans can manage anything on their devices. My choice of Wahoo was dictated with big solid buttons that I could operate under any weather in gloves, the compact size, and the fact you configured everything from the smartphone (instead of doing it from the device).

Be warned: Wahoo has some glitches:
  • Slow acquiring of GPS after turning the device on
  • Inaccurate thermometer (can be 10 F off).
I have gone through the three iterations of Wahoo ELEMNT computers and can live with the imperfections I have just described :)
Well if i can get my power on Creo, percent battery for both batteries, and assist level on Wahoo out of the box, count me in.

Well... 😊 Not out of box; you just select up to 11 desired data fields for the Workout data page using a smartphone app:

Screenshot_20230321_030101_ELEMNT.jpg

E-Bike Data.

Screenshot_20230321_030239_ELEMNT.jpg

I have shown 9 of 11 available data fields for the Roam Workout data here (still in the app). My screenshot does not show the current speed and distance ridden here.

20230321_030317-01.jpeg

Whenever you are making any change in the app, the Wahoo screen reconfigures in front of you.

You can add any desired fields to Summit, Lap Data, or Strava Live Segments data pages as well.

Last edited:
This is really over he top awesome. If you are riding a course, does it provide specifically helpful field(s)? I just look at percent course remaining and percent battery life remaining and try to keep a positive difference there. I’d probably rather have percent climbing remaining since that’s where i really drain. But does wahoo do something even cooler? I can’t even do percent climb remaining

This is really over he top awesome. If you are riding a course, does it provide specifically helpful field(s)? I just look at percent course remaining and percent battery life remaining and try to keep a positive difference there. I’d probably rather have percent climbing remaining since that’s where i really drain. But does wahoo do something even cooler? I can’t even do percent climb remaining
Although the Climbing and Map have a lot of data to choose from, the two most practical data for you would be:
  • Ascent Remaining (route), which you could locate next to the LEV Battery Level field
  • Distance Remaining (selected course)
No percentages.

Although the Climbing and Map have a lot of data to choose from, the two most practical data for you would be:
  • Ascent Remaining (route), which you could locate next to the LEV Battery Level field
  • Distance Remaining (selected course)
No percentages.
Crap, now a trade off. I have to give up my Percent Ride Remaining field.

Back