First Post: Pannier/ water bottle recommendations for Cross Current S.

Miguelon

Hello,

I had my parents bring me down a Cross Current S with the Current Series Universal Rear Rack to use in Oaxaca, Mexico and the 20 year old panniers don't fit. So.... I'm wondering what panniers you use/recommend. As I am in Mexico, I don't have the ability to go to a US bike shop. But, I can order off of the internet (Amazon/ebay) and have them sent to my parents who'll be coming down to visit next month.

Oh, and I'd love to know what you use for water as well... but have 19.2 Amp battery.

Cross Current S, Medium Black, 19.2 Amp battery.

Thanks,

Miguelon

We love Ortlieb panniers. Ortlieb USA. We sell a lot of them. You can order online as well,

I also use the Ortlieb panniers on the CCS. I have the 'L' frame. The large pannier is very close to my heals when peddling, so will try to get it a little further back on the rack sometime.
I can't get a waterbottle into a regular bottle cage on the bike (I have the 21amp bat., same physical size I think). I did see a side loading bottlecage, but haven't tried it out yet. That might work, but will still only get a small water bottle in. Might have to get a holder for the handlebars or the back of the seat. At the moment, I put a bottle in my pannier bag. Could use a Camelback waterbag if you don't mind something on your back when cycling.

I really like these baskets. They were easy to install. They fold up out of the way when not in use. Light weight but very strong.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FRCIDI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, those Wald fold-out baskets are on my CCS, too. Zip tied. Easy to deal with. Hold a full grocery bag each. They positively cannot rattle at all while folded if you use a bit of velcro wrap around the bottom.

Miguelon, as for a conventional water bottle? I have the smaller battery, and still, it was difficult to find a 16oz bottle that'd fit!

Bruce! & Reid!

So the Wald fold out baskets... Interesting. Would you think they'd work well enough on gravel roads?

Thanks,

Miguelon

Bruce! & Reid!

So the Wald fold out baskets... Interesting. Would you think they'd work well enough on gravel roads?

Thanks,

Miguelon

I have a co-worker who has those fold-up baskets. She drives over gravel and seashell roads pretty often and they hold up.

Bruce! & Reid!

Thanks,

Miguelon
Yes, I think they are good for any road, being steel and sturdy and an old, time-tested design. I have no complaints about the Wald. Also, it is better looking and has a properly working top-clip, whereas the Sunlite version does not.

They will splay outwardly a bit when folded and also when open (see video clip demo)due to the CCS rear rack having an outward "kick," as if the rack were designed to accommodate fatter tires.

The springy bending of the rack is inherent because it must be mounted way back to avoid heel strikes. It does not affect the usage, except that a heavy load will swing the basket and you will feel the bike stability suffer from that movement.

Yet, I have no complaint with these racks. The zip ties shown take only seconds to nip off if I want a clean bike look for that day, and it takes less than five minutes to reinstall the baskets.

I install a velcro wrap at the bottom to kill any rattle that might otherwise occur.

Panniers look great if you like panniers and these look like homelessness if you don't like wire racks, ha ha.

I like the utility and ease of the collapsible baskets, ideal for bagged groceries.

Last edited:
Agreed with Reid and Rob02150. My fenders are noisier than the baskets.

Reid is correct about how the shape of the rear rack affects to positioning of the baskets. I zip-tied mine in a couple of places near the bottom of the rack, where pannier bungees would attach, so they don't flex or swing any. Again, it was all very simple. Harder to describe than to do.

Yeah, Bruce! The stock fenders rattle and I find the rattle is at the black, sheet metal slide-through clips, at the rear fender.

I force a folded business card with a bit of craft felt inside for resilience, into the gap and this works well: the annoying little rattle will vanish.

Yeah, Bruce! The stock fenders rattle and I find the rattle is at the black, sheet metal slide-through clips, at the rear fender.

I force a folded business card with a bit of craft felt inside for resilience, into the gap and this works well: the annoying little rattle will vanish.

Thanks for this, I've been hunting for that rattle! Can't wait to try this for tomorrow's commute.

Yowzers! :D

If I weren't going for the groceries only, on dry days only, and opportunistic theft unlikely, those Ortlieb Back-Rollers look very good!
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:

I took a pair of needle nose pliers an "tightened" the clamp, pinched it against the fender more.

My water bottle is a backpack with hydration insert. It also holds some clothes, wallet and tools.

Anyone know the gauge of the rack on the S? I have Ortleib rollers but don’t have the right spcacer. They will send me new ones but they want to know what gauge my rack is.

Yes, those Wald fold-out baskets are on my CCS, too. Zip tied. Easy to deal with. Hold a full grocery bag each. They positively cannot rattle at all while folded if you use a bit of velcro wrap around the bottom.

Miguelon, as for a conventional water bottle? I have the smaller battery, and still, it was difficult to find a 16oz bottle that'd fit!

How much weight can each basket hold ?

Back