First Ebike - so many to choices, yikes !

MartyO

Thank you HarryS for pointing me to this forum.....I am somewhat confused as to what i should purchase. So, let me tell you about myself. I am male, 81 years of age, short in stature, about 5' 3", 27 inch inseam, have moderate emphysema, and a stent. I just gave my fairly new (5 miles) decked out bicycle to my son, because i get too tired peddling. I will use the bike for joy rides around the neighborhood, trails, the park, smell the roses. 20 mph tops seems very reasonable. I just want to make sure I can return to start. I am confused about 36 Volt vs 48 Volt, but would like a longer ride, some hills. Repair, parts, Pro service/Self service is important.I wish to spend up to $1500. Any and LOTS of advice is appreciated.

Sounds like a lighter ebike with a low step-through, a throttle to help, and a large network of dealers, is what you’re after, is there a Blix dealer near you? The Blix Sol was reviewed by Court Rye on this website, and by Pete Priebus on the electric bike report website.

The Blix looks like it's worth a drive from RI to Massachussetts for a test ride. I don't know how itis in your local shops, but the few I visited, it's like buying a car. There's some room to dicker on price. You should get below your $1500 price point.

Another option is folding bikes. A bit lower. You don't have to fold them. We never fold ours. The trade off is they don't have a lot of speed, and some don't ride well because wheels are too small. A suspension helps. They also can get heavy but if you never fold them, not an issue. My wife is 5'5, but she prefers to ride her folding ebike over her step-thru because she gets her feet down on the ground faster.

I like them for travel, because ours are light and I know my hitch rack ins't going to snap off on the highway from the weight of heavy bikes,

Thank you HarryS for pointing me to this forum.....I am somewhat confused as to what i should purchase. So, let me tell you about myself. I am male, 81 years of age, short in stature, about 5' 3", 27 inch inseam, have moderate emphysema, and a stent. I just gave my fairly new (5 miles) decked out bicycle to my son, because i get too tired peddling. I will use the bike for joy rides around the neighborhood, trails, the park, smell the roses. 20 mph tops seems very reasonable. I just want to make sure I can return to start. I am confused about 36 Volt vs 48 Volt, but would like a longer ride, some hills. Repair, parts, Pro service/Self service is important.I wish to spend up to $1500. Any and LOTS of advice is appreciated.
DO Lots of Research, and Lots of Reading, and take Notes on Each !! Don't buy the First shiny ride you see ... You'll be Glad you did your Homework ! ??

Back