First e-bike purchase help! Please :)

Awesome!! Thanks so much. I did just store it fully charged for a few days but hopefully it’s all good. :) thanks!

You're welcome! And it'll be fine. You can get years of use out of an e-bike battery even if you abuse it, let alone if you baby it. There are advantages to using best practices when it comes to charging/storing/etc., but e-bike batteries aren't so expensive that it's worth stressing yourself out over! Ultimately the point of having an e-bike is enhancing your life, not stressing yourself out!

Lock question: my U lock is rusting a bit. Is that ok or do I need a new lock. And if so what lock would you recommend that is good and affordable?

Also if I am storing my ebike on our patio without the battery in it, should I cover the hole in the frame where the battery goes with something? I am worried about it getting dirty in there!

Thank you!

Lock question: my U lock is rusting a bit. Is that ok or do I need a new lock. And if so what lock would you recommend that is good and affordable?

Also if I am storing my ebike on our patio without the battery in it, should I cover the hole in the frame where the battery goes with something? I am worried about it getting dirty in there!

Thank you!

I would bring the bike inside at night. Even if it means bringing it in when the last person goes to bed, and then putting it back outside first thing in the morning when the first person wakes up, and leaving it in the middle of the living room while everyone's asleep and not using that space. The nighttime dew is bad for bikes, worse than daytime rain for those of us living near the ocean. The rain actually cleans the salt out of the air, whereas the nighttime dew combines with the salty air to speed up corrosion.

I would reach out to the manufacturer about what they would recommend for where the battery goes when the battery is not present. I'd hate to recommend something that's not congruent with what the manufacturer recommends. :)

I'd replace the rusty u-lock if it were me, and go with either a new u-lock or a strong chain lock. If your bike has standard 9.5mm drop-out quick-release levers, I would replace those with bolt-on or locking skewers. That way your wheels are either bolted-on or locked onto the bike, rather than easy-steal. Alternately you can carry two locks around (one to lock up both the frame and the rear wheel, and one to lock the front wheel to the frame). Your rusty old u-lock could be the second lock in this scenario.

This advice is based on what's sufficient to fight most bike theft where I live. I recommend that you ask bike shops near where you live as they have on-the-ground info that I don't have! :)

I would bring the bike inside at night. Even if it means bringing it in when the last person goes to bed, and then putting it back outside first thing in the morning when the first person wakes up, and leaving it in the middle of the living room while everyone's asleep and not using that space. The nighttime dew is bad for bikes, worse than daytime rain for those of us living near the ocean. The rain actually cleans the salt out of the air, whereas the nighttime dew combines with the salty air to speed up corrosion.

I would reach out to the manufacturer about what they would recommend for where the battery goes when the battery is not present. I'd hate to recommend something that's not congruent with what the manufacturer recommends. :)

I'd replace the rusty u-lock if it were me, and go with either a new u-lock or a strong chain lock. If your bike has standard 9.5mm drop-out quick-release levers, I would replace those with bolt-on or locking skewers. That way your wheels are either bolted-on or locked onto the bike, rather than easy-steal. Alternately you can carry two locks around (one to lock up both the frame and the rear wheel, and one to lock the front wheel to the frame). Your rusty old u-lock could be the second lock in this scenario.

This advice is based on what's sufficient to fight most bike theft where I live. I recommend that you ask bike shops near where you live as they have on-the-ground info that I don't have! :)
Awesome! Ok thanks so much!

Good question. They call it the Gen 4 series and it is SMALLER than the previous ones but if you cannot tell by looking you should ask the dealer to show you the paperwork .View attachment 42901

First time poster here. I just ordered a Nevo GT Rohloff HS as a commuter bike. I've fronted the purchase price, it's being built for me and should arrive in May. I'm a big guy and will be near the weight limit for my short (five mile) but hilly ride to work. From the RM website, the bike will be built with the older series motor. Should I be concerned about that? Should this affect the price? My plan is to use the bike to mostly replace my car so I really want to get this right—for both the ride and my wallet. I've been very happy with my local store, Wheel and Sprocket in Wisconsin, in guiding my purchase. I will check with them about this also but I would appreciate hearing the group's thoughts. Thanks in advance.

First time poster here. I just ordered a Nevo GT Rohloff HS as a commuter bike. I've fronted the purchase price, it's being built for me and should arrive in May. I'm a big guy and will be near the weight limit for my short (five mile) but hilly ride to work. From the RM website, the bike will be built with the older series motor. Should I be concerned about that? Should this affect the price? My plan is to use the bike to mostly replace my car so I really want to get this right—for both the ride and my wallet. I've been very happy with my local store, Wheel and Sprocket in Wisconsin, in guiding my purchase. I will check with them about this also but I would appreciate hearing the group's thoughts. Thanks in advance.
[/QUOTE

Hello! There are many riders on this site with lots of mileage on the the Gen 2 CX motors. This is a tried and true product. The only thing I would be concerned about is the front suspension. My suggestion would be to get the Aion Air fork or better if it is not too late to upgrade. The NCX on my Nevo was not up to the job.

Thanks For your help, Steve. The specs say the bike comes with a Suntour XCR32 Air, tapered, 70mm, fork.
Good, that is at least an upgrade over the base NCX . Does it have a Thudbuster or Kinekt seat post suspension? If not you might want to add one at some point. This is a great bike otherwise and you will love it!

It comes with a Thudbuster seat post suspension. I looked at the Homage which has the whole body suspension but it was too much bike for me.

It comes with a Thudbuster seat post suspension. I looked at the Homage which has the whole body suspension but it was too much bike for me.
Sure and it weighs a bit more also. If you are mostly on pavement / easy trails your bike will be sweet. I love the comfortably upright riding position on the Nevo and it is such a solid frame! Happy trails.

I don't get it, why would they make a battery that only really works between 20-80%? that's 60% of the battery...also I was speaking with my 'mechanic' who said on this battery that if you charge it before it hits 50%, then it does not register as a 'charge' (supposedly get 1000 charges from the battery)...but if I am constantly going from 51% to 100%, again it's only half the battery getting used. I so don't understand this...

I don't get it, why would they make a battery that only really works between 20-80%? that's 60% of the battery...also I was speaking with my 'mechanic' who said on this battery that if you charge it before it hits 50%, then it does not register as a 'charge' (supposedly get 1000 charges from the battery)...but if I am constantly going from 51% to 100%, again it's only half the battery getting used. I so don't understand this...
I have willfully ignored that 20-80 % stuff with no ill affects. Do not get worked up about it. The only rule I have is to not let the battery run completely empty. I always switch batteries with at least 1 km remaining on the display. I also always let them charge until the charger turns itself off. Just set it and forget it. As I said we have 6 powerpacks with a total of over 43,0000 kms and I dunno how many charges over the last 3 years. No problemo.

Last edited:
Did you get the Nevo on the road yet? How do you like it? You must have put a bunch of miles on it by now.

It is only confusing when we start learning. There’s good news. Most of us didn’t get it at first. The good news is we’re here to share in the successes and confusing numbers. Ride it like you stole it and smile like there’s no tomorrow.

Back