Firmware Upgrading with Bosch, Brose and Yamaha or others...

TimJohn

Just a questions regarding firmware updating. I was wondering if e-bikers can upgrade their own displays or motor firmware on their own. Sometimes, a LBS is not close by. I have this option on my Bafang front HUB, GRIN technologies Baserunner controller, and GRIN technologies Cycle Analyst to even try beta versions. People routinely upgrade their computers, iPhones and some other devices through a simple USB connection. Just wondering....

I expect the firmware can only be updated by the dealer but I'd also like to find if it's possible. If the firmware could be changed from max speed 20 to max speed 28 it would be great.👂

After market controllers are generally able to be set up by owners. Some to a degree that will make your brain swim. So firmware updates are definitely popular.

From a bike manf's standpoint though, it shouldn't be too hard to imagine how badly a controller could be messed up by some well intended but possibly "challenged" customer. I can't even imagine the time it might take to answer the questions/explain the functions of 20 or 30 different parameters trying to figure out why this customers bike suddenly has an issue. Point being, I think this is why bike manf's have locked down the firmware. They can't afford to support it if unlocked....

OK but actually, the firmware is just an update from my understanding and not a means to access the parameters of your controller in most cases. I am sure Bosch doesn't allow even the dealers to play around with the parameters. Cycle Analyst does allow some degree of access and even with this available to my setup, I just let GRIN take care of it.

I agree a dealer isn't going to be much help with a firmware change request. You'll be discussing it with a factory tech if they are willing to listen to a change at all.

That firmware "update" can easily include different parameter settings set to your request - as in those made by Grin for you.

Cycle Analyst would be an example of what I was talking about when mentioning after market controllers (and displays). The KT series of displays and controllers would be another example.

Some of the bikes have Bluetooth connectivity with their displays and are stating they can be updated. I'm not into it so I don't pay much attention but I believe Giant Evo and some BH displays allow this, I'm sure there are others.

Back