Firmware update on motor

Not sure where to post this. My question is can this be done at home? I know specialized wants to encourage LBS visits. But loading bike up and driving 1/2 hour, wait for tech to install new firmware, and 1/2 back back takes better part of the morning. I will call my bike shop and see how critical the update is. Not going to stress over this. Anyone who has a brand new Turbo Vado 5 SL should smile all the way to the LBS. Feel very privileged to own one.

firmware update motor.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure where to post this. My question is can this be done at home? I know specialized wants to encourage LBS visits. But loading bike up and driving 1/2 hour, wait for tech to install new firmware, and 1/2 back back takes better part of the morning. I will call my bike shop and see how critical the update is. Not going to stress over this. Anyone who has a brand new Turbo Vado 5 SL should smile all the way to the LBS. Feel very privileged to won one.

View attachment 64232
I just checked mine as well (21 Vado SL 4.0 EQ) and mine says the same. I sent an email to Specialized customer support to ask what the software addresses. They are really good about responding back quickly.

I believe I saw written up somewhere that riders will be getting reminder when firmware updates are available. This doesn't mean you have to go right away for update. And as Sierratim pointed out, updates must be done by a dealer. Not only is update performed but often dealer can take a quick look to see if all is well with your bike in general. A no-charge bit of prevention that we do at our shop.

The Mission Control app provides the update reminders as the OP demonstrates. Our LBS is doing the firmware updates gratis to build up its service business.

Thanks guys. When I bought the Vado 5 SL a month ago, the LBS offered a 5 year maintenance plan including free firmware updates for $200 and I added that to the invoice. The bike is more complex than my Sirrus Elite and thought a maintenance plan made perfect sense. Had planned to take it in anyway for 100 mile check and have a Cirrus Cycles Kinekt seat post installed so this shop visit not a problem. Initially LBS was hesitant to put in the new seat post because of the wire feeding to rear light. Asked Cirrus Cycles to call my LBS and explain the install process and they did. All good.

Wanted to give an update on this. I had my Vado sl 4.0 eq updated today at my dealer. I got the bike home and started a ride. The chain promptly jumped off the chain ring. Went back to the shop because the chain was stuck in between the motor housing and chain ring and I didn’t want to tear up the paint down there. They got it back on the chain ring and when I got home I started another ride and within a quarter mile it came off again. I rode this bike 250 miles or so with zero issues before the update. Now the chain has come off twice in less than a mile. Called the LBS back and they put in a message to Specialized. They think it could be the update. They also think Specialized could end up replacing the chain ring. Today was a long day needless to say. Anyone with this bike may want to wait before they update theirs.

My Vado 5 SL EQ was in the shop Thursday for new tires. The motor firmware update was also done. No issues other than the TCD had to be paired again. I rode it for 17 miles the next day with no problems.

My Vado 5 SL EQ was in the shop Thursday for new tires. The motor firmware update was also done. No issues other than the TCD had to be paired again. I rode it for 17 miles the next day with no problems.
That’s good to know. Maybe it was just coincidental. I wonder what could have caused that on mine. So frustrating.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.
What’s strange is that after I got the chain back on for the second time I went for a 3.5 mile ride to see if I could get it to jump off again and it didn’t. Pretty confusing really. I absolutely love the bike. Rode it just yesterday for 20 miles with no assist at all. Rides like a regular bike in that scenario.

Got the update on motor done today on my Vado 5 SL. I asked what was in the new firmware and tech didn’t know other than to say a few bug fixes and minor tweaks. I don’t think Specialized wants a lot of detail out there for competitive reasons. A little surprised to see a brand new silver Turbo Vado 5 SL like mine next to a new Creo both unsold at my LBS. things starting free up a little.

What’s strange is that after I got the chain back on for the second time I went for a 3.5 mile ride to see if I could get it to jump off again and it didn’t. Pretty confusing really. I absolutely love the bike. Rode it just yesterday for 20 miles with no assist at all. Rides like a regular bike in that scenario.
I find it very unlikely that the update has anything to do with your chain coming off. Maybe something was damaged or became misadjusted during transport to or from the shop....

Got the update on motor done today on my Vado 5 SL. I asked what was in the new firmware and tech didn’t know other than to say a few bug fixes and minor tweaks. I don’t think Specialized wants a lot of detail out there for competitive reasons. A little surprised to see a brand new silver Turbo Vado 5 SL like mine next to a new Creo both unsold at my LBS. things starting free up a little.

Got any rev. #'s for those updates or do you know if they are the same ones that have been out for a while?

I checked with the Specialized app and here's the rev number. Too my knowledge this has been the only update for the Vado 5.
firmware motor.jpg

My Creo and Levo both need firmware updates, but my LBS can’t figure out how to login to the Specialized platform. Sure seems dumb that we can’t update our own firmware, when I can update the firmware myself on all other devices that I own. What’s the big deal?

My wife's Vado 5.0 SL EQ firmware was updated on Friday. Her walk assist no longer works. Has anyone else with the updated firmware experienced this?

I am considering installing an electronic shifter and derailleur for her as she has trouble backing off to shift when grinding up hills. Hearing the derailleur and cassette crunching away is not music to my ears.... I would like it to be bluetooth and I understand right now SRAM is the only manufacturer of wireless electronic shifting?

My wife's Vado 5.0 SL EQ firmware was updated on Friday. Her walk assist no longer works. Has anyone else with the updated firmware experienced this?

I am considering installing an electronic shifter and derailleur for her as she has trouble backing off to shift when grinding up hills. Hearing the derailleur and cassette crunching away is not music to my ears.... I would like it to be bluetooth and I understand right now SRAM is the only manufacturer of wireless electronic shifting?
I don’t think updating to an electronic shifter will solve her issue with mashing the gears when climbing hills. It will not be tied to the motor, so it will not reduce power when shifting.

I don’t think updating to an electronic shifter will solve her issue with mashing the gears when climbing hills. It will not be tied to the motor, so it will not reduce power when shifting.
Thank you. A couple of coworkers who mountain bike (one e-bike, one standard) both stated they can shift under full load while climbing and the drivetrain is happy. It would be an interesting, albeit expensive experiment.

Back