Firmware Update and Mission Control Problems...

GrayFox

Hi, When I charged my batteries yesterday ( I have the extender battery) I checked the state of my Vado SL 5.0 and diagnostics indicted that
I needed an update but when I opened the submenu that shows the firmware current and uptodate versions, no data is shown.
Just the notice to go to the bike store to get the update.

This morning I took the bike to my LBS and later they told me that the firmware was up to date! They said they re-installed the firmware just in case...

However Mission Control insists that an update is still needed and the submenu still does not show current and latest versions....

My LBS said they do not understand the problem and will try to escalate to specialized. I have also sent a message to customer support, they
are not answering their phone....

Anyone else heard of this problem?

I would not worry were I you. Is your SL broken? No? Don't fix it. And don't worry. Just ride on!

Hi, When I charged my batteries yesterday ( I have the extender battery) I checked the state of my Vado SL 5.0 and diagnostics indicted that
I needed an update but when I opened the submenu that shows the firmware current and uptodate versions, no data is shown.

This morning I took the bike to my LBS and later they told me that the firmware was up to date! They said they re-installed the firmware just in case...

However Mission Control insists that an update is still needed and the submenu still does not show current and latest versions....

My LBS said they do not understand the problem and will try to escalate to specialized. I have also sent a message to customer support, they

OK, I recorded some info from the diagnostic item Mission Control.
Main Battery Firmware 2.4.15
Extender Battery Firmware 2.3.10
Motor Firmware: 43.7.61
Display Firmware 2E.B0, Hardware A.1.2

When I click on the Display Updates item I still get a WARNING that an update is available but NO data is
shown when the warning is dismissed.

Could someone with an up to date Vado SL 5.0 check to see if my listed firmwares are up to date?

Thanks...

re:
Anyone else heard of this problem? (not answering their phone)
Seems to be the "norm" for them....in my experience

You are not alone. I am seeing the same situation on our two Como 3.0’s. I took my wife’s bike to the LBS this morning for an unrelated issue, but asked them to checkout the firmware update issue. H@vent heard back from them yet. This is a very recent phenomenon for me. I had checked MC last week and the firmware information displayed correctly

Ha! Easy to say :) Is the TCU about to die, Is a battery ready to blow out, something is not right.... Your advice is not music to a crusty old anal retentive man :)
Nothing would go wrong, Fox. Trust me. Although I own no SL but a full power Vado, I'm riding for 5000 miles per year and I don't care about any updates. To draw an analogy, your PC wouldn't blow if you didn't update it.

Moreover, be glad you're not a Giant rider (their app is terrible!)

YES!

I've the Creo with Range Extender. About two weeks ago, I brought my "new" bike in for its 90 day checkup. I had noticed it said UPGRADE available and mentioned that to the shop. They checked chain and headset for new bike breakin and also did the UPGRADE. Got home and like you, I get the "shop needs to do an upgrade" message and the page was blank. No Current or Latest showing. Oh, I did not bring in the RE at that time. I rode it for a day or two and headed down early to get the firmware "fixed" Their laptop ran out of power, come back in an hour. Back in hour but Specialized Server was down. Meanwhile, that status page was still blank and remained blank each time I checked.

I go back a week later when I had time with the Range Extender. I open Mission Control and now after a week, it shows DATA, with only Range Extender needed firmware. They took the bike for 15-20 minutes. RE upgraded (it must be on the bike). Now all fields show. Shop mentioned this is a quirk.

By the way, the upgrade is performed via the TPU. When removed from the top tube, there is a USB port where it attaches to computer.

NOT a user servicible firmware upgrade.

So, yes, you are no alone.

Both my Vado SL and Creo CC had hiccups during the last firmware update. When the Vado was updated by the LBS, their computer indicted the the update was completed. I took it home turned on Mission Control which informed me that updates were available. I rode back up to the shop and they reconnected the TCU to their laptop via the USB port. The second time was a charm for the Vado SL.
A week later I went through the same exercise with the Creo. This time with the range extender attached (this update includes a RE firmware update). The tech said he couldn’t get the update to even start with the RE connected so he disconnected it and ran the updates. The program indicated the updates were completed so he called me to come pick it up. This time I checked Mission Control at the shop. Again, the updates didn’t actually happen. He reconnected the TCU to his laptop and we got all updates on the Creo except the RE. At this point, I am not concerned about the RE having out of date firmware.
Apparently something not right with this SL firmware update. The shop thinks something to do with the Specialized software used for the firmware updates. I understand it will be a topic of discussion when the Specialized district manager visits my LBS next week.

I got this a little while ago...
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to Rider Care. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the firmware notification on the Mission Control app. We have identified the issue and are working towards a fix. For some users this can be cleared by logging out, hard closing the app, reopening and logging in, for others it persists. My apologies and this will be fixed shortly.

As far as the Mastermind TCU, currently we do not offer that as a backwards compatible option at this time.

Happy pedaling,

Lacey |Specialized US Rider Care|

Subject: EBike - Firmware # 04741836
Description: I have a Vado SL5.0. Mission Control asserts that a firmware upgrade is available and to take the bike to my dealer. They said that the firmware was up to date! ( and they re-installed the firmware again just in case. The bike store has no idea of what the problem is.

However Mission Control still asserts that a firmware update is available. In addition Mission Control will not display the current and latest firmware on the diagnostics page.

I am running Mission Control on an iPhone XS with the latest IOS software I also have the extender battery attached to the bike. I tried detaching the extended battery and still have the same results. I use a Garmin 830 instead of the TCD wireless display.

Help me, Help me...

PS: will the MasterMind TCU work on my bike?
servlet.ImageServer

ref:_00D15FMfu._5004R1ibfRa:ref

I got this a little while ago...
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to Rider Care. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the firmware notification on the Mission Control app. We have identified the issue and are working towards a fix. For some users this can be cleared by logging out, hard closing the app, reopening and logging in, for others it persists. My apologies and this will be fixed shortly.

As far as the Mastermind TCU, currently we do not offer that as a backwards compatible option at this time.

Happy pedaling,

Lacey |Specialized US Rider Care|

Subject: EBike - Firmware # 04741836
Description: I have a Vado SL5.0. Mission Control asserts that a firmware upgrade is available and to take the bike to my dealer. They said that the firmware was up to date! ( and they re-installed the firmware again just in case. The bike store has no idea of what the problem is.

However Mission Control still asserts that a firmware update is available. In addition Mission Control will not display the current and latest firmware on the diagnostics page.

I am running Mission Control on an iPhone XS with the latest IOS software I also have the extender battery attached to the bike. I tried detaching the extended battery and still have the same results. I use a Garmin 830 instead of the TCD wireless display.

Help me, Help me...

PS: will the MasterMind TCU work on my bike?
servlet.ImageServer

ref:_00D15FMfu._5004R1ibfRa:ref

Since you mentioned the iPhone. I have an Android device and had the same glitch. Apparently, it is a Specialized issue which hopefully, they will fix. On the fourth attempt, the bike shop took the range extender but then returned for the bike. He indicated that the process had changed and the range extender needed to be attached to the bike system and that the update is carried out by USB to the TCU (or whatever the top tube thingie is called).

Unfortunately, at this time, it cannot be done by the end user. Which is unfortunate since bike shops are backed up with sales and service these days. And then if the process gives false readings, it is another swath of time out of their (and my) day.

Ha! Easy to say :) Is the TCU about to die, Is a battery ready to blow out, something is not right.... Your advice is not music to a crusty old anal retentive man :)
Hey GreyFox…just call your brother to fix your Specialized ebike!🤓

I recently updated the „Mission Control“ App on my iPhone. Since then, Autosparte ist not working properly: it is set to on but recently it did not record any rides . When I start it manually it shows the message „the ride is too short to record“ after my ride.
Is anybody experiencing the same ?

Hello Sunshine2021, yes, I had the same experience (just today) after a ride where auto start did not "auto-start." It didn't start at all. However, I did start, and the ride was fun.

Updates can be tricky especially if you tuned your motor settings and didn't set them back to default. I made this mistake. I struggled for a couple weeks back and forth with LBS. No one understood the problem. I thought the update had changed my bike from Class 3 to a Class 1. My bike's top speed went from 28mph to 22mph. Finally, I trouble shot it myself. I cleared all data in Mission Control. I uninstalled/reinstalled the app. Had my wheel size set to its factory default even though I had changed out to bigger tires. Behold! Bike is back to normal. No thanks to LBS or Specialized. I agree. If its isn't broken leave well enough alone.

So if the problem can solved with a firmware update and I can't see which/when updates are available, how can I know when to visit my LBS to get the fix?

So if the problem can solved with a firmware update and I can't see which/when updates are available, how can I know when to visit my LBS to get the fix?
I guess you could just pick a schedule and visit them.

But maybe we need a thread the lists the various updates and a notice when Mission Control says a new update is available. We can keep each other informed apart from Mission Control. We could post screen shots for instance.

Hey, the current version of mission control seems to be better behaved, It now actually displays current and latest firmware versions rather than no data.

It is showing me that my range extender battery needs a firmware update, so i guess it is back to my LBS for another try....

Back