Fireproof Battery bag

Jelester

I am looking for a fireproof battery bag. I saw some on Ebay and Amazon but they are to short for a shark, Dolphin type battery. I want one for when my battery is off the bicycle as I don`t trust them charging on the bike.

The easiest and best option is a ceramic type flower pot. Get one just big enough to cover the whole battery. Also it helps to put the pot on top of a piece of tile. This will prevent any damage if a fire were to start and do it a lot better than a fireproof bag. Fireproof bags give a false sense of security because when the battery goes up, the flames escape through the bags openings and will catch anything on fire that is near it. A flower pot is a much better containment system.

Nomex type bags will only withstand temps to 750 degrees and Li Ion burns up to over 1000 degrees. The ceramic option would work better.

Does anyone keep their battery in a steel tool box for carrying/off season storage? I am thinking about doing that for my 2 batteries. I would line the toolbox with some type of cushioning material.

My company has used ceramic/refractory boards like this for different fireproof applications. It can be cut without a wet saw, a proper circular saw blade is required. Score and crack is possible, not as neat and tidy. It could be used to line a steel box. This is similar to the type of panel used with fireplace inserts. There are many styles and thicknesses available. Heavy. For the size not as heavy as pure ceramic. Very resistant to fire and heat. Rated to 2300°F.

Ceramic Fiber Insulation Board (2300F) (1/2" X 19.7" X 39.4") Pack of Individual Board for Wood Ovens, Stoves, Forges, Kilns, Furnaces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BWHP220/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5JqMCb9FVDV13

It really doesn't matter to much what fire proof material you use as long as you use one that can withstand the 932 F temperature lithium can burn at. When a battery goes up, it sends flames shooting out up to 5 ft in the air. What you are trying to protect is the surrounding area that the flames can get to. A small box just big enough for the battery to fit in is not big enough to protect you from the flames shooting out. The flames have to be able to escape from the box you made. If not, you just made a bomb.
If your really worried about it, get a vase big enough for the whole battery to fit inside. Keep it away from anything that can catch fire, at least 5 ft in any direction, and you should be covered. When a lithium fire goes up, there is no putting it out, you have to let it burn itself out. You want a fire extinguisher to protect yourself from the damages the flames can do if they catch anything on fire.
A lithium battery does not just catch fire for no reason. It takes a short across two wires to start a fire. If you were in a bad accident and your battery got dinged up, then I would take precautions and keep it in a vase until I know it's fine. If your battery charges up fine and isn't hot after a charge, then your probably fine. If your battery came with your bike from a known vendor, and charges up and works fine, then it's probably fine. But if your still worried and want peace of mind when your not using your battery, keep it where it can't catch anything on fire if it goes up. Like in a big vase or flower pot:)

OK, so it sounds like a metal tool box is a bad idea. I don't really have any place in my house that is 5' in all directions from anything flammable. I guess I will just continue to do what I am doing now … set the batteries on the floor of my laundry room when storing off season or charging and take my chances. I don't really want to leave them on the bikes in the garage because of the temperature variations.

I do the same as you AlanDB with my packs. If you put them in a flower pot, with a tile underneath it, then you only need 5 ft up which is lower than a ceiling. The pot will contain the other ways. But like I said, these packs don't catch fire for no reason. When you get a short, things happen right away. If your charger over charges for some reason, the packs will swell and make hissing noises before they catch fire. But all this stuff is rare and I know I don't worry about it myself. And I own a lithium battery business.

I found an army ammunition box on Amazon and going to try this. It would withstand these temperatures. I was wondering if I need to drill a small hole in the box to let pressure escape. Opinions please.

There's some amateur science videos on youtube with ammo boxes. One of them concluded a hole was needed, or the top would deform from heat and blow off from pressure and let the flames out. None of these did an ebike battery, but looking at larger drone batteries. Another guy lined his ammo box with pieces of drywall and showed it insulated well.

Here is some pictures of the ammo box with the Battery. I got the box from Amazon. I need to figure out just how big a hole I need to drill to let whatever comes out.

Attachments

• 20190326_123122.jpg
    20190326_123122.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 1,467
  • 20190326_123141.jpg
    20190326_123141.jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 20190326_123146.jpg
    20190326_123146.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 1,379
I would drill some holes on the top for venting. Maybe 5 or 6, 1/2 holes.The box is going to get red hot so I would put it on a piece of tile or stone so the bottom doesn't burn or catch anything on fire. Most of the fires on you tube are from small batteries. Our bike batteries are a lot bigger and will burn more spectacular. Luckily battery fires are very rare and usually will only go up if your in a bad accident or your charger malfunctions and over charges it.

Last edited:
I would drill some holes on the top for venting. Maybe 5 or 6, 1/2 holes.The box is going to get red hot so I would put it on a piece of tile or stone so the bottom doesn't burn or catch anything on fire. Most of the fires on you tube are from small batteries. Our bike batteries are a lot bigger and will burn more spectacular. Luckily battery fires are very rare and usually will only go up if your in a bad accident or your charger malfunctions and over charges it.
This battery box as you can see is much bigger then the battery. I think I will put a piece of tile on the bottom and maybe line the side with something. I like this idea. I am sure it will contain it if I mange the venting right.

I remember when Boeing was having that problems with the batteries in their new 787 they solved it by making an escape proof box and added a vent tube to the out side of the plane.

Not sure how small they make them, but a flame arrester vent would be a good addition to any storage method.

Here is some pictures of the ammo box with the Battery. I got the box from Amazon. I need to figure out just how big a hole I need to drill to let whatever comes out.

Hello Jelester,

What are the Dimensions of the Box you got ?
And which Amazon listing did you find it ?
I need 16" x 5" x 4" minimum.

Thanks,
Craig

Large ammo can. 17" x 5.5" x 9.5"

PA-120 40mm Ammo Can/Ammunition Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006A7L2C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_54koDb2XBWES8

Massive ammo can. 12-3/4" x 5" x 28-9/16"
(All 3 of my BH packs would fit in this one)

U.S. Military 120MM Tall Ammo Can Grade 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9TD86U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oeloDbM2SQH1T

Would this just make a big bomb though? I'm asking because I don't know. At present I store them separately (I own 4 packs) away from anything remotely flammable. Fire extinguishers at both entrances/exits.

Back