Fenders for Evo 29er, a monster.

Joergen8

Seeing as the 2016 lineup continues the Evo line, I thought I'd share the current evolution of my fender setup on my 2015 29er. I stole this guy's idea: http://www.pedelec-biker.com/2015/05/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-pro-29_26.html

In short, they are SKS Bluemels B65, custom painted matte black to match the frame, and the front fender is actually another rear fender that I shortened slightly, because the Bluemels front fender is too short and would not protect the front gear set or my shoes. I used Cat Eye SP-9 fasteners for the front lowers/sliders, and zip ties for the arch mount. I also pop riveted a custom mudflap on the front fender to make it even more effective.

I also tried the SKS Beavertail XL for the rear which looked great but still kept spraying my back, and I had a custom Zefal/SKS hybrid fender on the front which worked great but was somewhat odd looking.

I've upgraded the tires for summer riding (Schwalbe Big Apple), pedals, grips, seatpost and seat. For winter riding (snow) I use the original Schwalbe Rapid Robs, or when it gets real slippy towards the spring, the Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros. I also added some Tesa Anti Scratch XL film to the underside of the downtube to keep the paint from chipping.

Obviously I use the bike for commuting.
Photo 13.10.2015 15.05.30.jpg Photo 13.10.2015 15.08.14.jpg Photo 15.10.2015 16.05.11 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here she is with the ICE Spikers, Beavertail (with additional mudflap) and useless front fender. Badass yes, but I hate having a brown streak up my back and front.

Photo 11.3.2015 16.10.31.jpg

And here with custom Zefal/SKS hybrid front fender, actually quite effective.

Photo 5.4.2015 19.26.29.jpg

Thanks guys!

Peer support for your fender woes, with friends like these:

Photo 11.4.2015 15.00.15.jpg

@Joergen8

I ordered a couple of those CatEye clamps for attaching the fender struts to the shocks, it will make for a much better look! Thanks for posting that information.

@Joergen8

I ordered a couple of those CatEye clamps for attaching the fender struts to the shocks, it will make for a much better look! Thanks for posting that information.

Glad to share! They can be a tad smaller than the tube diameter on the shocks, but still work great. Especially on the Rockshox XC32 that has thicker sliders, the clamps are tight, but also slim enough to fit between the shock and the brake disc, where a rubber padded steel clamp wont.

Having been unable to get the official winter cover from anywhere in Europe, I crafted my own out of 13mm thick Armacell, duct tape, stitching and an old zipper. Seems to work great, and surely insulates better than the official 3mm neoprene, if being a tad uglier.

photo%209.1.2016%2013.54.01.jpg

Back