Fender job on the Turbo S - an unorthodox approach

For those that use your high speed pedelec in wet, snowy or muddy conditions and want to arrive at your destination dry and clean, you know that the Specialized fender pack to the Turbo S is not very forgiving. It looks great and slick but does not give much protection to the lower part of your body. I use my bike all year round and started to be concerned when the fall with early winter rains and snow slush arrived in Sweden . Having tested all sorts of mudguards and flaps I finally realized that the spray from my front wheel not only comes off the back end of the front fender, but also that I catch up with the spray going forward at high speeds. This happens simply because a front fender (on almost every bike btw) is not sticking out very far over the front wheel. On a normal bicycle this is ok as the speed is so low that gravity takes care of that spray before you reach it. Not so on a speed pedelec.

After some poorly designed inventions I took the unorthodox approach to install a back fender over the front wheel somewhat inspired by ice racing which is basically the arctic version of speedway.
upload_2016-12-19_11-31-48.png

It may not look as great as the original but works suprisingly well. It does require some extra stabilizers on the front end but will shield yourself from the front spray quite well. I may not keep this contraption once spring arrives, but that will be a later decision.

upload_2016-12-19_11-37-58.png

upload_2016-12-19_11-38-29.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JRA
Jan! Any SKS 45-50mm fenders in bike shops will do. I had SKS regular fenders they fit very fine, but then swap to this https://www.bikester.se/532860.html much cooler. SKS fenders sticks out in front almost as long that you have on your current solution. So it gives you great protection not spraying on your face. You can also add a bit leather or some kind of flaps at the lower end in front so it give you protection for you feets.

Last edited:
Jan! Any SKS 45-50mm fenders in bike shops will do. I had SKS regular fenders they fit very fine, but then swap to this https://www.bikester.se/532860.html much cooler. SKS fenders sticks out in front almost as long that you have on your current solution. So it gives you great protection not spraying on your face. You can also add a bit leather or some kind of flaps at the lower end in front so it give you protection for you feets.
I tried some SKS stock front fenders but they all require a bit of extension to achieve that extra cover over the front. I'm happy with my solution and I do not have to put on extra mudguards anywhere.

Hi Jan, nice addition. I think it would also help in making the bike a little less muddled after a long ride. Where did you get these? custom made or you bought it in some Swedish supplier? did you have to make an extra effort/additional tools or anything to make them fit on the bike?

Hi Jan, nice addition. I think it would also help in making the bike a little less muddled after a long ride. Where did you get these? custom made or you bought it in some Swedish supplier? did you have to make an extra effort/additional tools or anything to make them fit on the bike?
Custom made. I picked up a used 50 mm plastic back fender at Sigge sport in Vinsta (the guy charged me 50 sek). I had to cut away the original mounting as it did not match that of a front fender. I used the original Turbo v-stays and added an extra pair at the front end (one I had lying around). I spent an hour to cut away things, measure it up and drill a couple of holes. Very simple but hopefully worth the effort. It still needs to be tested in true Swedish winter slush to see if it meets my expectations.

Back