Fat tire frame pump (HV + CO2) -- Does CO2 even work in 4" high volume tires?

NeilCruz

Preface: I am sure question is answered elsewhere, but when I tried to search for "fat tire co2 pump" both "fat" & "co2" get ignored as too short/common. So I see way too many messages.

/////
Bike is Juiced RCS - so this is the 4" fat tires.

So it seems there are bike pumps that are optimized for high-volume low-pressure, some that are switchable between High Pressure (HP) and High Volume (HV), and even some that do both HV and CO2.

So the HV+CO2 seems like a good choice, but that begs some questions:
  1. Is this HV/HP just a gimmick?
  2. Can a CO2 even work in a fat tire?
  3. Does CO2 work if there is a tube? Does it weaken the innertube due to cold?
  4. If it can work with a fat tire/tube, will 1 small canister do it?
  5. If 1 canister doesn't do it, should I -
    • Start with CO2, fill as far as I can then switch to pump-air?
      or
    • Start with pump-air and then switch to CO2 once there is some pressure in the tire?
      or
    • Carry enough CO2 to fill the fat tire to my minimum pressure?

Again, sorry for posting something that probably has been covered elsewhere, but not being able to search for CO2 gives me way to many results when I search the whole forum.

I carry C02 with my HF1000. It takes three C02 cartridges, 16g to fill it up to about 15PSI. There's almost no way I'd try to fill those tires without a full size floor pump or compressor.

Also, I just remembered that I took the stock Kenda tires off my bike and replaced them with 26"x3.5" Origin8 Captiv8ers. You might even need more C02 or larger pump to fill the wider tires.

Unfortunately the OneUp seems to be presta only "Fast-On Head (Presta Only) - No threads or locking lever"

And I just got confirmation that the CrankBrothers "Klic HV Gauge + Co2" does both Presta/Schrader but only Presta for CO2, and the gauge is only while pumping with Air.

I tested the Klick HV and it does to better than the last frame pump I tried (which was a HighPressure one) -- it still doesn't seem like a feasible way to inflate the tire.

I'm starting to consider just dropping the pump and doing CO2 only - maybe 2-3 20g.

I'd still rather have a something that does all of:
  • High volume frame pump (Just in case)
  • CO2
  • Accurate PSI gauge at low PSI
On the CO2 front only system - does anyone know of a portable system that can measure pressure and dispense CO2? Or does that always require removing the CO2 inflator and attaching a low pressure gauge?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Back