Fat Tire Bike Hitch Racks

IOUZIP

Region
USA
I wanted to start a thread on fat tire bike racks. I have experience over the last 2 years with a RockyMounts Backstage rack. It's a swing away rack. https://rockymounts.com/backstage/
I have a 2 inch receiver on my 2017 Pacifica. This year the desire to make it easier to roll the bikes up a ramp got me to buy a kuat nv 2.0 rack and ramp accessory. My hope was to allow my wife to roll the bikes up the ramp without assistance. That failed on our first trip. I will get back to that. I am the one who loads and unloads the bikes on the rack. I really like the RockyMounts Backstage rack. It is very solid and the bikes are secure riding down the road. My purchase of the Kuat nv 2.0 was a decision based on a few reviews and seeing them at the local trails. I like the Kuat anti wabble design but don't like the fat tire add-on strap. That brings me to the failed on our first trip statement earlier. We were able to roll the first bike on no problems. The second bike had a problem if using the Kuat Ramp accessory. The bike handle bars hit and you cannot roll the bike all the way. Never thought of that issue. I had to roll the bike back and lift it onto the rack. That was the fail. So if I had two different height bikes that cleared the handle bars that would have worked but I don't. If others have racks that work for two fat tire bikes love to hear from you. Kuat will go back to REI and I will keep using the RockyMounts.

1636404102716.png

1636404438694.png

1636404526062.png

Last edited:
Just tilt the bike down a little to clear the other bike's handlebars. It's being supported by the ramp. I'm using the Hollywood Sport Rider Rack for ebikes.

We did try to tilt the rear bike but the amount required to clear the handlebars was too much. I ended up lifting the rear bike on the rack. Some guy walking by suggested we loosen the handle bars and turn it 90 degrees. That's not a option either. We also ran into this clearance issue with the pedals. Dropping the bar allowed the clearance but the spacing between the bikes is close.

1636492131839.png

Last edited:
I have a Rocky Mounts Backstage rack. It has the swingarm which I really never take advantage of using. I would save 20lb if I had got the non swingarm version called the MonoRail. I added a third brake light which also has turn signals. I have had it for 2 years and it is really solid rack especially when I load two fat tire ebikes. The Backstage rack does sit the bikes a few inches higher than the Kuat did.

Attachments

• IMG_6947.JPG
    IMG_6947.JPG
    673.3 KB · Views: 313
I have a Rocky Mounts Backstage rack. It has the swingarm which I really never take advantage of using. I would save 20lb if I had got the non swingarm version called the MonoRail. I added a third brake light which also has turn signals. I have had it for 2 years and it is really solid rack especially when I load two fat tire ebikes. The Backstage rack does sit the bikes a few inches higher than the Kuat did.

Looks like the backstage straps handle the fat tires no problem? I was excited to see this thread as I have a backstage I picked up last year, and am looking at a few fat ebikes (Rize RX Pro as well as the Juiced RCS). I'm assuming since you're here in this forum that you're still getting along with the Juiced RCS?

I have been riding the Juiced bikes a little less since getting a new Trek Powerfly FS 4 and a Luna X2 ebikes that arrived for Xmas. All of the bikes work very well with the Rocky Mounts Backstage. Here are a few pictures of the Juiced RCS Step Thru and the Luna ebikes on the Kuat. The Luna has a longer wheelbase and barely fits the beam on the Kuat. Not an issue with the Backstage as it has a saddle or bucket for the rear wheel to sit in. Also the fat tire strap on the Kuat is a little annoying to use. Is seems to be a little long and I had to zip tie them together. The fat tire strap on the Rocky Mounts Backstage is easy to fit together and take apart. I have learned to bungee the front hold down arms to the wheel in case it ever slips on the tire. The Kuat came with velcro straps to hold the tire to the rack. I thought that was a good idea for securing the wheel. I do that on the Backstage rack now to ensure the wheel cannot come off the rack.

Attachments

• IMG_7372.JPG
    IMG_7372.JPG
    560.8 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_7357.JPG
    IMG_7357.JPG
    457.5 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_7356.JPG
    IMG_7356.JPG
    429.1 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_7355.JPG
    IMG_7355.JPG
    415.1 KB · Views: 344
  • Picture0003.jpg
    Picture0003.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
I have been riding the Juiced bikes a little less since getting a new Trek Powerfly FS 4 and a Luna X2 ebikes that arrived for Xmas. All of the bikes work very well with the Rocky Mounts Backstage. Here are a few pictures of the Juiced RCS Step Thru and the Luna ebikes on the Kuat. The Luna has a longer wheelbase and barely fits the beam on the Kuat. Not an issue with the Backstage as it has a saddle or bucket for the rear wheel to sit in. Also the fat tire strap on the Kuat is a little annoying to use. Is seems to be a little long and I had to zip tie them together. The fat tire strap on the Rocky Mounts Backstage is easy to fit together and take apart. I have learned to bungee the front hold down arms to the wheel in case it ever slips on the tire. The Kuat came with velcro straps to hold the tire to the rack. I thought that was a good idea for securing the wheel. I do that on the Backstage rack now to ensure the wheel cannot come off the rack.

Thanks!! I've been eyeing the Luna X2 myself, but I ride a lot of with extra photo equipment and couldn't quite figure out if the Luna would take a rear rack at times or not. Need to find something like the X2 with a rear rack.. :) Haven't looked at the Powefly FS yet, will check that out.

Edit - What is that ziptied to the upper frame on the Luna?

FIDLOCK Twist Bottle mount strapped to the top tube as the Luna has no mounts. The Luna does not have a rear rack option but the Powerfly FS 4 does. The rear rack is on backorder. If you want to see more on the Trek see link. Trek Powerfly 4 & 5 A hardtail version of the Powerfly 4 is also available with optional rear rack.

Thanks!! I've been eyeing the Luna X2 myself, but I ride a lot of with extra photo equipment and couldn't quite figure out if the Luna would take a rear rack at times or not. Need to find something like the X2 with a rear rack.. :) Haven't looked at the Powefly FS yet, will check that out.

Edit - What is that ziptied to the upper frame on the Luna?
Wow, neat bottle solution.

What are your thoughts on the power of something like the Powerfly FS 4 vs the Luna X2? The reason I've stopped looking at the major manufacturers is that it didn't seem like any could really compete with the Bafang Ultra 1000W motors.. everything I see on the Bosch Powerline stuff indicates it won't even be in the same league when looking at power. As someone who may have to truck some equipment up hills (smaller, midwestern hills.. but still) I'd rather err on the side of more power than less.

I see Eunorau Specter S has a rear rack kit, and get full suspension, 1000w motor, a main battery upgrade + second battery for <$5k. Considering the Rize RX Pro as well which is ~$1,500 cheaper.. then the Juiced RCS where at this point I could buy an extra bike for a spare.. :p I really should start a spreadsheet..

I have Luna X1 and now the new X2 ebikes. They both use the same 500 watt Bafang M600 motor. The Powerfly uses the Bosch gen 4 85nm motor. Yes the 500 watt Bafang has more power but I am also 80lb heaver (210 lb) than my wife. When I ride the Powerfly it climbs well enough. If you want a Bafang Ultra ebike then look at the Luna Z1. This all depends on your budget. We picked the Powerfly because it was the only major brand that offered a size small in full suspension and a rear rack option.

I am reviving this thread for only one reason. I see alot of pictures on this thread with the front wheel secured with the arm on the front side of the fender.
I have a Rocky Mounts 2 rail rack and had a beach cruiser bike fall off with the front wheel secured the same way. I called the company and they said yes, that can happen and referred me to the instructions that came with the rack.

Sure enough, the instructions say the arm is to be up as far as possible, against the front fork, on top of the tire as much as possible. My rack isnt designed for the arm to be forward and yours may not be either! On top of that I asked if it would work on top of the fender; no good either.
Losing a heavy bike on the freeway with traffic could be an ugly situation, for your bike and your liability.

Last edited:
I am reviving this thread for only one reason. I see alot of pictures on this thread with the front wheel secured with the arm on the front side of the fender.
I have a Rocky Mounts 2 rail rack and had a beach cruiser bike fall off with the front wheel secured the same way. I called the company and they said yes, that can happen and referred me to the instructions that came with the rack.

Sure enough, the instructions say the arm is to be up as far as possible, against the front fork, on top of the tire as much as possible. My rack isnt designed for the arm to be forward and yours may not be either! On top of that I asked if it would work on top of the fender; no good either.
Losing a heavy bike on the freeway with traffic could be an ugly situation, for your bike and your liability.

Good advice. I have the same rack. and I use additional bungee cords when I've got an ebike on the rack just to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

The bikes on the rack with straps and 9in Ball Bungee wrapped around the wheel and arm or just get a set of rubber straps. All my bikes have front fenders and my tires all have tread knobs which helps keep the arm in place.
I have never had an issue with the arms but adding the extra straps prevent the arms from falling off the tire.

On the fat tire bike I add a tie down ratchet strap.

Picture0003.jpg

Last edited:
The bikes on the rack with straps and 9in Ball Bungee wrapped around the wheel and arm or just get a set of rubber straps. All my bikes have front fenders and my tires all have tread knobs which helps keep the arm in place.
I have never had an issue with the arms but adding the extra straps prevent the arms from falling off the tire.

On the fat tire bike I add a tie down ratchet strap.

View attachment 116071
Im sure the straps help. Letting some air out of the tire also helps. Its the person who casually rachets down just a click or two with 20+ psi in the tire that could lose their bike. The back tire strap needs to be tight too, otherwise side to side movement can cause the arm to lose grip, moreso if the arm is forward on the tire, as with a fender.

Last edited:
I plan to take mine cross country. Any issues driving through rain? Do I need to wrap the controller area as I plan to take the battery out while traveling?

I was wondering why the first poster didn't try arramging the bikes with the second one flipped around so the handlebars don't hit,

Back