Fast Electric Bike Charging Stations

MinnesotaMiles

I've been an avid cyclist all my life and am now contemplating long distance touring on an e-bike. From what I can determine the biggest problem is fast charging. Does anyone know if anyone in the bike industry interested in this? It would seem to me that it would be a nice fee based service for coffee shops, restaurants, and bike shops.

"Sir, would you like a charge with those fries?"

For what it's worth, I have sometimes brought my charger in my backpack. The idea being that I could stop at an internet cafe, where I would be able to take my battery and the charger into the little cubicle and charge for an hour or so while I relax and play on the computer or sleep. In reality, though, my battery has lasted long enough that I didn't have to do this. If I was going more than 40 or 50km round trip and didn't want to use Eco mode, then I would need to, though.

Available fast charging has been available for many years at any J1772 car charging locations, you will need the adapter J1772 to Nema ; you should also have the Grin Satiator charger in order to charge at 6-8amps and 220v.

Unfortunately the faster amperage will not work for Bosch equipped ebikes ,since they are vastly inferior in terms of their battery charging speed(max. 4amps in Usa) and blocking third-party chargers.

Last edited:
1 kwh is 0.10cents-0.25cents. Most batteries have a 500 wh. pack . Basically the service will never work since it is very low price for the kwh price.
Hello. You're not wrong, but they could of course charge far more than the actual electricity rate. For example, electricity generally costs around $0.20 US / KWh in Japan, and that means that charging a batter would cost around $0.10. They could still charge $5.00 for it, and if there was a demand, most people would gladly pay. I'm just not sure there is a demand. Most people don't stray that far from home to need to charge, and if they do, they are probably staying at a hotel where they could charge. As mentioned before, so long as your battery is removable, you can easily charge at an internet cafe, etc.

One thing I have seen that is similar is these rental battery packs at convenience stores for charging your mobile phone, etc. The sad thing is the one time I needed one, I couldn't use it, because you need an app to unlock the batteries! I kind of wonder how that company stays in business, since I can't imagine they are actually used that heavily. It will be interesting to see whether they are still around within five years.

1 kwh is 0.10cents-0.25cents. Most batteries have a 500 wh. pack . Basically the service will never work since it is very low price for the kwh price.
The electricity is a loss leader... They'll make their money selling food and drinks while you wait for your bike to be charged.

Back