Eyeball question - Contacts + sunglasses vs prescription sunglasses

NeilCruz

I was wondering if there are advantages or disadvantages or wearing contacts while biking at 15-22mph.
  • Do you eyes dry out faster with contacts?
  • Is dust/particles in air more or less of a hazard with contacts?
  • Etc.

What are you thoughts?

I would expect that dust particles would be more of a hazard, because they could lodge between contact and cornea. Not sure about the dry eye thing -- even with safety glasses, my eyes tear up like crazy at higher speeds. Is that just me? Boy, one thing I remember from my contact-wearing days is that you really don't want your eyes to get dry beneath the contacts.

I wouldn't ride without good eye protection. Contacts wouldn't meet how I define that term. But that's not quite what you said, so ignore my old fuddy-duddy ways if you wish.

Bruce - I was asking because I have an eye exam coming up and figure I might end up getting a prescription.

So if I do need a prescription do I go for Glasses or Contacts.

///

But now that you brought up eye protection - what do you use?

Thanks!

I have both contacts and eyeglasses with photochromic lenses. I used to use contacts + Oakleys for riding all the time, because I did not have prescription sunglasses, and my vision is so poor that I cannot get prescription sport glasses. I still use contacts, but very occasionally; for me they are not as comfortable if I have to wear them for more than a few hours. So I just ride with my Transitions eyeglasses.

I have both contacts and eyeglasses with photochromic lenses. I used to use contacts + Oakleys for riding all the time, because I did not have prescription sunglasses, and my vision is so poor that I cannot get prescription sport glasses. I still use contacts, but very occasionally; for me they are not as comfortable if I have to wear them for more than a few hours. So I just ride with my Transitions eyeglasses.
I highly recommend the Wiley X safety glasses. It was the only affordable frame that would work with my Progressive Lens Rx. The foam seal can be removed, which I did so they look just like regular sunglasses. Very lightweight and don't slide down my nose.

I ave been wearing prescription sunglasses from Opticus for decades now. Best sunglass options available in Rx. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

My everyday glasses have Transitions also, and sometimes I use them for cycling. I don't think the Transitions works quite as well as the prescription sunglasses. Even though my regular glasses have Crizal too, which is supposed to cut glare, they don't cut the glare as well as the shades. Just my experience.

My original thinking when I first posted was leaning towards contacts because if the glasses fall off at speed (when I sneeze.. .well watch out! :)) then its more costly to replace, especially if Insurance will only replace once every 2 years.

But its sounding like, for riding, that prescription glasses might be the better choice.

Well I have some thinking to do.

Thanks for the input guys.

BTW - I put Eyeball in the subject because when I searched for this topic the term "Contact" is used so much vis-a-vi electrical contacts that I couldn't find any info that was on topic.

The best solution I've found for my purposes are "Fitovers" sunglasses. "Fitovers" is the brand name, and as it implies, their sunglasses are designed to fit over regular prescription glasses.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Another brand I like offering a similar product is Cocoons.

The reasons I like them are:

1. Inexpensive compared to prescription sunglasses, yet very high quality.
2. Polarized lenses for excellent glare protection.
3. Different color lenses are available (amber lenses are very nice to use when driving or riding in white-out conditions).
4. The lenses are over-sized so the frames wrap around the top and sides of my glasses, providing extra glare and wind protection.
5. They work in car, unlike Transitions.

You'll have to pay attention to sizing when ordering these glasses. Some of the cooler styles won't fit over larger glass frames. There are very good sizing instructions on the product websites:

https://fitovers.com/
https://cocoonseyewear.com/

I have found the sizing instructions to be a little conservative, so if you are close to a smaller size, you might well be able to use it. :cool:

Contacts are a bummer with road dust. Modern sunglasses lenses also “transition “ and cover a range of light. A definite worthy investment. Some darkening lenses do not offer extreme light conditions very well. I like high filters and wide open pupils behind them. Much easier on the eyes and brain. But I’ve worn Vuarnet glasses, Skilynx, for 40 years. 8-12% during full sun light is enough for me.

I get my glasses cheap and well made from Zenni. Am always careful to wear glasses when biking. I don't really need them, but bugs and sand invariably strike if I don't have on my glasses. It is bad enough to gulp a bug. But in my eye, no!

Back