Extra "Yamaha" Battery- US Aftermarket

800$ for a 36v battery with only 500wh ?? That’s such a big rip off....and with shipping will probably amount to ~ 850$.

A Stomer 986wh pack, 48volts is 1.2k and that’s a high end quality pack.
Another example- my own- BH - A top ebike manufacturer , has a 605wh pack, 48v -750$ -this is also a high end battery pack with 2year warranty.

For a 36v max. Should be 350-400$. Unfortunately a lot of customers are not educated about the ebike technology and many companies are basically ripping people off and colluding to have the prices artificially high.

A 36 v battery cell is 3$. 35cells in the 500wh pack is 105$. Add Bms and a couple of wires.
Then add a 6-700$ profit. Nice reciepe for corporate greed !! Congratulations ?.

Last edited:
If, when asking about batteries some pictures of the battery case, connectors, and base mount would aid in identifying and finding an aftermarket replacement.

I wish a Stromer battery was 1.2 , it is 1.99! I can get $10 off of I join their email list, so there’s that....lol, other wise 100% agree

I wish a Stromer battery was 1.2 , it is 1.99! I can get $10 off of I join their email list, so there’s that....lol, other wise 100% agree

Oh then that is too much. But still for someone who does 50-60miles , 3-4days/week maybe in the long term it is a reasonable expense.

It is amazing they are able to charge (har) over $1600 per kWh for Li batteries that aren't even automotive quality.
To put that in perspective, a Tesla Model S 100 battery would be $160,000 dollars with a 2 year warranty.
Somebody will come up with a solution.
I don't know where I read it, but I think the Yamaha batteries are 40 and 50 cells, 10s4p (400Wh) or 10s5p (500Wh). Or I'm getting senile.

That’s such a big rip off....and with shipping will probably amount to ~ 850$.
YES! If posters would add pictures of battery packs and connectors we might be able to suggest an alternative. Yamaha battery means nothing!

I just purchased an extra battery pack for my FLX G3 Trail from this company - https://hc-lithiumbattery.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700.wholesale.cordpanyb.1.62c0375efQGtyz - via Alibaba where it showed it as a 48v 11.6ah battery for $250 (https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...m=a2700.7724857.normalList.121.1c4b5323MSNZdH) in contacting the company (again via Alibaba) I was told the battery is actually 48v 14ah w/Samsung cells for the same price. There was quite a bit of back and forth to make sure it would make sure it would fit my bike (the salesman, "Max", was very responsive) I made the purchase (+$96 shipping/tariffs/customs, door-to-door). I took several weeks to arrive. It was as advertised (fits like a glove and fired up my bike w/out issues) and with more ah's than the original at less than 50% of what buying one via the dealer would have been.

In "talking" to Max, I got the impression that they made my battery "to order", perhaps they will make one to suit your needs. My experience with them was excellent.

I just purchased an extra battery pack for my FLX G3 Trail from this company - https://hc-lithiumbattery.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700.wholesale.cordpanyb.1.62c0375efQGtyz - via Alibaba where it showed it as a 48v 11.6ah battery for $250 (https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...m=a2700.7724857.normalList.121.1c4b5323MSNZdH) in contacting the company (again via Alibaba) I was told the battery is actually 48v 14ah w/Samsung cells for the same price. There was quite a bit of back and forth to make sure it would make sure it would fit my bike (the salesman, "Max", was very responsive) I made the purchase (+$96 shipping/tariffs/customs, door-to-door). I took several weeks to arrive. It was as advertised (fits like a glove and fired up my bike w/out issues) and with more ah's than the original at less than 50% of what buying one via the dealer would have been.

In "talking" to Max, I got the impression that they made my battery "to order", perhaps they will make one to suit your needs. My experience with them was excellent.
I've been considering Aliebaba for awhile. They keep sending me Ads with pics of Ebike components. My 36volt/ 10ah. is a bit long in the tooth as it's better than 9 years old ! ?

I've been considering Aliebaba for awhile. They keep sending me Ads with pics of Ebike components. My 36volt/ 10ah. is a bit long in the tooth as it's better than 9 years old ! ?

I was hesitant to make the purchase, as there does not seem like much of a safety net but after a few messages back and forth with "Max" I thought I'd take a chance. Worked out well for me and I wanted to share for others standing on the edge. BTW, either "Max" is fluent in English or they have super translation software. Absolutely no language issues.

Remember, if your Alibaba or Aliexpress battery fails you will be expected to make your own repairs.
Typically a low priced battery will have lower quality cells, have a BS line a mile long from the seller, and leave you out in the cold with any failures.

IF you feel you must order from these sources PLEASE do yourself a favor and order a spare BMS. Seldom more than $10-$15. Chances are it will be a failed BMS early in ownership if there is a failure.
When a seller reports using a brand name battery, it could be one of several possibilities.
Rewrap of Generic cells, Generic cells, lower output brand name batteries not particularly well suited for eBike use. (Read laptop batteries.) When no battery version is posted, just a brand name my alarms go off.

Brand name cells cost what they cost. And when I see these ridiculously low prices an alarm goes up.
It's a coin toss.

But then I've only sold and supports several hundred batteries from multiple China sources.

There are a few reliable sellers but it's still a slippery slope.

does not seem like much of a safety net
Correct, but "not much" should be rewritten as "nearly no".

The factory Yamaha battery is Made In China (printed right on the box) from Japanese Panasonic(?) cells, AFAIK. Samsung or LG would be South Korean.
Lots of Chinese batteries will brag about sourcing Samsung, LG, or Panasonic cells.

While I haven't cut open a Yamaha battery, it's probably 18650 cells rated at ~2400 mA, 3.6 vdc nominal, peak charge 4.2 vdc. A column would be 42.0 vdc and 100 Wh. There are 4 or 5 columns.

Last edited:
I would wager there are CanBus communication protocols in play with the Yamaha that would require only Yamaha approved batteries with a BMS that supports them to be used regardless of if they are made in China or elsewhere. Certainly that is the case with other manufacturers and the reason they are labeled proprietary systems.

Best I can tell the Yamaha battery uses 2 connectors only even though there are 3 on the battery. This means any battery you make fit is going to work with the battery charger it comes with. The power meter is simply a a volt gauge.

It's easy to test if you have a variable DC power supply that goes to 42 volts. Remove battery. Center lug is ground on the bike connector. Apply (fused naturally) 42 vdc to the two connectors. Turn on bike. Does they battery indicator show 100%?

Back