Extra large storage tote for the Lectric XPremium

PBrown77

Region
USA
According to Lectric, the folded size is 40"L x 22"W x 32"H. The largest I found is this tote at Home Depot. It works great and has wheels. I put the bike with its wheel side on the side of the box that has its built in wheels. The hinge side goes opposite. Fits better. I also put a strap on the opposite side of the built in wheels so I can pull it up into my camper.

70 Gal. Tough Storage Tote with Wheels in Black
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-70-...els-in-Black-with-Yellow-Lid-206203/313792519
Dimensions: H 22.28 in, W 23.92 in, D 45 in

Attachments

• Image 4-30-23 at 9.26 AM.jpeg
    Image 4-30-23 at 9.26 AM.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 1,497
  • IMG_3870.jpeg
    IMG_3870.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 1,497
  • IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 1,523
Last edited:
glad you found something that fits. i have smaller totes for my original lectrics with straps as handles on each end from Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/soft-loop-tie-down-straps-4-pack-64040.html i use 3 straps for each side of the tote fixed in a triangle so i can grab the tote from either end and drag it up/down my basement steps.the straps have sewn in loops on each end so you just need to loop and pull the ends through the eye loops. after using the totes for a while they developed cracks in the sides near the middle but they sill function good. sometimes i only use the tote for dragging the bikes across gravel and grass to my parked Forester then lift them out of the tote and in through the hatch. takes up alot less space withough the tote.i throw down a packing blanket and use a towel and short bungee cord between where the bike folds to save on wear.

Attachments

• IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
I just looked at bins at Walmart this afternoon. There's one (HART 50gal I think?) that claims to be 22" wide, but that's the OUTSIDE width. Inner width is closer to 18".

I'll check the tote at HD, thanks @PBrown77! And I agree, some 1/4" plywood in the bottom is a darn good idea.

Hoisting the bike into the bin won't be too bad, probably no harder than folding the damn thing. The HD bin is 45" long, so I should be able to lift one end into the hatch of my Tesla Model Y, then lever up the other end. (Tesla hatch floor is 27" high, so a 45" bin will prop at a 30° angle.) That way I don't have to lift the whole weight of the bike into the car. Which I've done, but it ain't fun. Not a good idea for creaky old bones.

Only trouble is, the Tesla's hatch is too short, about 27", while the bike is 32" high. I planned to lever the tote up into the car, and just slide it into the back. Since the bike is too high, I'll have to get the tote into the back end and then tip it on its side. Not ideal but hopefully it will work.

Weelllll... I think it'll work, but it ain't ideal.

The 70gal tub is an enormous monster, but it's actually just about the right size. The XPremium fits fairly snugly.

bike1.png

I thought I could set the tub on end and just roll the bike into it. I saw a video of somebody else doing that. But I must be doing something wrong -- some ratchet prevents the rear wheel from turning that direction. What am I missing? Maybe he backed it in the other way?

I finally just wrestled it into the tub. Seemed a lot heavier than when I bought it and just lifted the bike into the car...

bike2.png

The "lever it up into the hatch" idea didn't work quite as well as I expected. The Tesla was higher, or the tub was shorter, than I thought. It leaned at a sharp enough angle that it wouldn't sit on its own, so I couldn't take a photo. But I did get it levered up in there.

Unfortunately, as I said, the hatch is too short. The wheels would just fit, if I removed the cargo rack. But the front bit (from handlebar stem to bottom stand) is just too tall, and there's not much I can do about that. Ain't gonna go. BTW remove the handlebar BEFORE you fold the bike. I found I couldn't pull the stem out in a folded state.

bike3.png

So. Only option seems to be roll it on its side. It is possible, but not easy. It's a tight fit. Might be possible to tip it on its side when loading it to avoid the "roll it in the car" step?

bike4.png

I've seen a video of some folks loading TWO of these in their small SUV. Obviously their SUV is bigger than the Model Y. Guess I won't be car-camping with the bike in the car...

So it works, but it's a lot harder than I thought and it fills the car much more than I expected.

Attachments

• bike1.png
    bike1.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Back