Experience Thread: A noobie getting into a specialized vado 5.0 IGH

If forerunner isn't the answer, roam v2 will be next. 3 days earlier and it would have been the other way around.

I have been having an issue with display customization on the vado. I have, on multiple occasions, setup a completely different display set on the bike to come back to the previous version. It happened twice today as I have a better idea what data I want on bike. The vado display can show all of it (not on one screen). And it seems like it just doesn't stick unless I clap my hands three times and throw salt over my shoulder. Will see if it is still configured as I left it on ride tomorrow.

@Stefan Mikes Interestingly, there is a mechanical motor power metric on bike. Not just electrical. And the other thing I found pretty neat is gradient (although, it seems to be a bit off at times).

My main screen is the one that has the colored cadence indicator (that you can't change), speed in the big area, rider power on the lower left and gradient on the lower right. One nitpick thing: these things do not have the same titles on the app. "Gradient" is called "slope" in the app. There are some other differences. This screen has battery and current time in the top area. So technically, this is the same number of data points as the 2x3 grid screen (if those still had battery and time at the top, I would use them instead). On my second screen, it's more about averages. So all the average metrics (these need to be reset before a ride if you want them only for that ride). Average Cadence, Average Speed, Average Total Power (actually not sure what this is yet, as it doesn't line up logically to either rider power, mechanical power, electrical power or a combination), Average Heart Rate. I also have two slots I am still playing with. I put gear ratio and mechanical power in them, but really, probably not necessary. I like heart rate because it tells me the HRM is working. Anyway, with lots of pages of stats on the bike, I don't really care about seeing MC stats page which frees the phone to be focused on GPS.

I also set the eco/sport/turbo modes as specified 20/50/100. This worked great. And makes it much easier to see the split. This was a similar ride to the other warm day, and I was a lot less active. 49% of ride time in turbo. I also simply couldn't push the same level of average power.

I had to stop a bunch of times on this trip (the vado display reset itself from locking/unlocking at a store and once I realized I pulled over and reset all the fields). I had to stop to do crazy pannier packing. By the end, I had my jacket stuffed in with the top open and the strap barely across the top. I had stopped at the store to pickup some things and I was surprised at how little fit.

My rain/wind pants arrived. So I will take them out on the next cold morning ride and see how they do.

A word on gradient, it seemed to jump around a bit. There were times it was telling me 12-18% gradient when the ground wasn't changing much (if at all). Not sure what was causing that, but I wouldn't just "accept" this gradient reading at all times. It does work though. Not sure if crazy bumpy roads will mess with it.

Anyway, a lot of tech issues on this ride. I really don't like having to start two apps. Drives me crazy. I forgot MC for a few blocks.

Same way DSLR is excellent but the number of companies supporting it is dwindling. Ant+ works very well. But it’s kind of like having a top level DSLR camera when a large portion of DSLR lenses are discontinued. You can still buy a great DSLR today, but I wouldn’t recommend it given Virtually all new lens development is in mirrorless.

Again, ant+ is in fewer and fewer devices each year. The weird thing in the fitness world is this is happening without a clear equal/better replacement. Mirrorless literally caused this to dslr. But ant+ was simply dropped from general purpose devices. It remains a niche fitness solution that is not supported in general devices.

Again, it doesn’t make it bad. Lots of great technology gets killed by market pressure. (Ohhhh, the days of BeOS! Or even OS/2). But that is where we are. Once bike consumers start demanding smartphone bike computers more generally, one of two things will happen: 1) ant+ dies and BT or another standard takes its place. 2) ant+ makes a come back.

I would not bet on 2 given the current state of the market. In fact, I wouldn’t bet on that choice at all.

With only two companies supporting ant+ in bikes (sound familiar to DSLR?), the doedoe bird awaits.

Would love for ant+ to be better adopted. It just isn’t currently.

Garmin’s map issues are similar. A brand new gps navigating device is hampered by their out of date, onboard proprietary maps. That’s pretty 90’s. (Though, in the 90’s, that was the best option)

i switched from DSLR to mirrorless a few years back (d850 -> z7) and still miss quite a few aspects of the DSLR. i don't really see the parallel in this case - there is a fundamental difference between the technology in the two ("seeing" through the image sensor vs a separate but merged optical path) which leads to many differences in function. on the other hand, BLE and ANT+ are similar in most meaningful ways for cycling, just tweaked differently for different purposes. range, power, bandwidth, protocols, etc. same/similar frequency etc.

i definitely don't agree that ant+ is "fewer and fewer devices every year." that's only true if you include the brief period of android phones that included it, which i do not think many people actually ever even used or fully implemented. every single cycling electronic accessory i've seen released in the last few years supports ANT+, to the tune of several hundred million devices out in the wild. everything from lights to power meters to speed sensors to computers. what's changing - which is good - is that many are also adding BLE. since i hate bike computers, this was actually a criteria for me in my most recent bike purchase - the power meter had to support both. and it did, because, well, almost all do. ant+ is not going anywhere for a long, long time. for BLE to catch up, the major bike makers have to change their tune and develop/embrace an open standard for battery, motor power, rider power, cadence, speed, and control. until then everyone will be stuck choosing between superior control and integration on a computer with ANT+ or superior software and device capability choices on a phone with BLE.

@Stefan Mikes Interestingly, there is a mechanical motor power metric on bike. Not just electrical. And the other thing I found pretty neat is gradient (although, it seems to be a bit off at times).

really? have you graphed the relationship between the two? that would be quite interesting, and i wonder how it's being determined. the electrical input to the motor is obviously very easy to measure, but to actually measure the mechanical motor power would require a mechanical device that i didn't think the bike had. i wonder if the power-meter equivalent which measures rider power (in order to determine assistance) is setup in such a way that it can measure power on the both the input and output side of the motor!?

brief period of android phones that included it,
A small point here: it was in every samsung phone from s6 to s20 and most other samsung devices in the same period (tablets, watches). A few other brands sporadically also (I think). That’s not that brief. I think the bigger problem for cyclists is practically no bikes had it at the time of greatest adoption. (Not many do today). So ant+ was only used for those other devices. And many of those devices had 1) other paths for the data. 2) zero advantage to using a phone. Cyclists kind of got screwed by that. Market pressure sucks.

But yeah sensors have been coming with both. And that’s another “problem” because new bikers picking their first sensor are going to pick the one that works with their phone most likely. (And probably has its own app, not realizing that may become its own sharing issue)

Some biking companies have another issue, many of them have other markets to protect that they may see standardization as a threat. Giant, for example, may want to protect their bike computers. They don’t want smartphones with bluetooth taking that away. Specialized doesn’t currently. But who knows.

I agree, standardization is the answer, but that won’t happen until mass consumers want it. What’s happening in home automation right now is a great example. Standardization is and has been increasing because all of the parts manufacturers have realized they don’t want to, and also can’t handle, the larger ecosystem for a user experience consumers are demanding. They will leave that to apple and android. I think biking parts manufacurers have realized this (mostly), but the bike makers haven’t.

So much for being a brief point.

really? have you graphed the relationship between the two?
Nope. Guess why? ;) but it appears to be the appropriate 75% of electrical. But yeah, either multiple power cranks meter type devices or an awesome shared setup, or they just spit out a calculated value knowing the motor’s capabilities.

Will look into more of it later. ;)

@mschwett Been meaning to ask you something. IN my case, strava doesn't sync heart rate for the ride or gps data to apple health when it comes from 3rd parties (IE, MC). But you said you have heart rate data in your workout charts in apple health. (rungap brings all of it in for me now, so the only app source for any of this data is now rungap)

If heart rate charts are still working for you, I think I may know why. Are you dual reporting strava and rwgps rides to apple health? And do you still wear an apple watch (or other heart rate sensor synced to RWGPS?)

Apple Health seems to be willing to generate that chart from any available heart rate source. So, basically, if either strava or rwgps pushed heart rate data for the time period, both will show it. But strava doesn't push that itself (it may if the sensor/watch was connected directly to the app, and the app was the recording device, I haven't tested that. not even sure strava supports it. but it doesn't push heart or gps map into apple health that it pulls down from the strava service automatically even though the service has that data). Garmin connect explicitly says it doesn't in docs (and it definitely doesn't). RWGPS will push that in if it has access to it during the ride. So, essentially, if you are still gathering heart rate from the apple watch during RWGPS rides, the charts show that data, not the chest strap you might be wearing. (Again, unless the chest strap is BT and syncing through RWGPS separately, obviously MC doesn't touch apple health, so even with HR coming through it, it only gets to apple health through strava)

Convoluted mess of data syncing. Thankfully rungap is sane. (not sure it moves all data though, I haven't tried pulling from something with more advanced e-bike metrics and syncing to something that also supports that, just using it to get the data to apple health and also garmin connect in preparation for trying a forerunner). I really like apple's simplified training views. So even if garmin connect "beats" them, the simplest way to see trends is still apple.

Will see if the forerunner can change that.

Either by multiplying the electrical power by a fixed motor efficiency value or by a point on the efficiency curve.
That would be easiest. Are you sure they don't have a second meter in there?

Honestly, if we did get the data to graph, it should become pretty obvious immediately. A linear relationship to the electrical power would mean a flat multiple. But variance *could* means using a curve *or* an actual metering device.

@mschwett Been meaning to ask you something. IN my case, strava doesn't sync heart rate for the ride or gps data to apple health when it comes from 3rd parties (IE, MC). But you said you have heart rate data in your workout charts in apple health. (rungap brings all of it in for me now, so the only app source for any of this data is now rungap)

If heart rate charts are still working for you, I think I may know why. Are you dual reporting strava and rwgps rides to apple health? And do you still wear an apple watch (or other heart rate sensor synced to RWGPS?)

Apple Health seems to be willing to generate that chart from any available heart rate source. So, basically, if either strava or rwgps pushed heart rate data for the time period, both will show it. But strava doesn't push that itself (it may if the sensor/watch was connected directly to the app, and the app was the recording device, I haven't tested that. not even sure strava supports it. but it doesn't push heart or gps map into apple health that it pulls down from the strava service automatically even though the service has that data). Garmin connect explicitly says it doesn't in docs (and it definitely doesn't). RWGPS will push that in if it has access to it during the ride. So, essentially, if you are still gathering heart rate from the apple watch during RWGPS rides, the charts show that data, not the chest strap you might be wearing. (Again, unless the chest strap is BT and syncing through RWGPS separately, obviously MC doesn't touch apple health, so even with HR coming through it, it only gets to apple health through strava)

Convoluted mess of data syncing. Thankfully rungap is sane. (not sure it moves all data though, I haven't tried pulling from something with more advanced e-bike metrics and syncing to something that also supports that, just using it to get the data to apple health and also garmin connect in preparation for trying a forerunner). I really like apple's simplified training views. So even if garmin connect "beats" them, the simplest way to see trends is still apple.

Will see if the forerunner can change that.

looking at my rides in apple health, it looks like most of the strava ones don’t have HR data. some have spotty data, not sure where it comes from. rides synced from ridewithgps or cyclemeter definitely have the complete HR data. not sure why strava chooses not to send that data! strava’s track record with apple health is a little spotty, including having disabled the sync completely for a few days earlier this year because so many people had duplicate activities in apple health… good “solution” 😂

all i really care about in apple health is the rings and the calorie/activity trends over time, which does come across correctly.

all i really care about in apple health is the rings and the calorie/activity trends over time, which does come across correctly.
You could be doubling your red and green rings. When I had doubles I didn't really look at that, I just kept the ones with the best data (ie, heart rate is filled out) and deleted the others. There were a few days where I was doing 400-500% of red and green rings. I suspect that was when I had duplicates.

Strava is a nightmare. Hence my desire to eliminate it from existing anywhere in my solution. But currently, I can't just blow it away if I want any data.

Rungap solves all that. Particularly if you just "trust" strava as the original source and only allow rungap to feed the data to apple health. I have disabled apple health integration on strava, rwgps and garmin connect, though I will re-add garmin connect *except* for workouts which will come from rungap. The heart rate will be from whatever device is used by the recording app (in the case of MC: chest strap through strava. forerunner will likely be the watch through garmin connect but could be the chest, rwgps would be apple watch through rwgps service, or again, another connected HRM). Really easy to use. Though you do have to open the app to sync, not sure it can detect and do it in the background. The one thing I miss is I don't get named rides. When I rely on RWGPS I get a chance to set the name at the end, and I usually describe the functional purpose (because most of my rides have a town stop to accomplish something, otherwise it's just an exercise loop). Now I just get town names. :(

The irony here is I will have rungap sync workouts from garmin connect to apple health because it will likely sync the full data while garmin doesn't *from garmin's own service*. Once I have the forerunner I will enable all garmin syncing so vo2max and other stuff shows up in apple health (non-workout related data, all day heart rates... etc) but workouts will be synced from garmin to apple health by rungap so I get heart rate charts and gps maps. And if I wear two watches, all of this will fill up apple rings as well.

In other news, the tifosi alliant cycling glasses arrived. Don't love the fit off ride. They just don't feel like glasses on my nose or ears, but they fit fine with my helmet. Will be wearing them on my ride later today. It's a bright sunny day and I am going to do the same gorgeous route I have been doing (or at least a minor variation of it). Hopefully some dust kicking up cars and trucks will pass me testing the reason I wanted glasses in the first place.

The first 2.5 mile climb is getting to me. Feels significantly harder on each attempt. It's good, and it leaves the remaining 2/3 of the trip feeling much easier, but it is hard and getting harder. Might need to give my legs a break soon. I can really only do this ride when I *don't* have stops in town. Too time consuming.

I am also exploring the wahoo element roam v2. It very well may solve some of these problems. (Trying to get map information about it without actually buying the thing). If it does solve it, the downside is the chest strap for heart rate. (I am not going to wear an apple watch, a garmin watch and use a wahoo bike computer to get all the things. I have limits).

i definitely don’t have duplicates, but i don’t wear my apple watch ever during a ride. back in the early days of trying to figure out a good workflow/set of tools i did have some dupes. i don’t see much value in what apple health does with workouts, vs strava which has a zillion ways to look at the data, plug-ins for virtually every kind of metric or comparison you could want, etc.

this may be of interest to you, a post today on the facebook creo group about hammerhead:

47D27DA2-DD8A-4FD9-B5D3-A8E4A1D72563.jpeg

i definitely don’t have duplicates, but i don’t wear my apple watch ever during a ride. back in the early days of trying to figure out a good workflow/set of tools i did have some dupes. i don’t see much value in what apple health does with workouts, vs strava which has a zillion ways to look at the data, plug-ins for virtually every kind of metric or comparison you could want, etc.

this may be of interest to you, a post today on the facebook creo group about hammerhead:

View attachment 137163
Karoo has easily had the most communicative and upfront support I have seen from any of these companies. If their maps routed, I would have ordered the karoo 2 a week ago.

I actually ordered a different set of gloves that are thinner and possibly better for touch screens. My biggest issue with using RWGPS right now is manipulating the phone with gloves on.

Bunch of observations coming on my ride post.

I have some observations about a bunch of new things.

Kinekt is basically perfectly set. Every once in a while, my cadence and the road seem to "align" and the seat bounces in a rhythm for a bit. It's not uncomfortable, it is just noticeable. This will generally happen in light washboard style bumps that end up matching my cadence such that I am pushing up as the seat is already moving up to adjust. And you get this rollercoaster up/down cloudy feeling. Again, it's not bad, just noticeable. Most of the time, the "active" suspension is a lot less apparent. The current setting seems to work well.

The more I have played with saddle height, the more it feels like the saddle needs to be adjusted for your optimal leg position, and the handle bars need to be moved (which I currently can't do) for the hand position. Creating a saddle position that "forces" me to sit back and distribute weight that direction seems to be the most effective at addressing general numbness. There seems to also be a relationship with the saddle height to the handlebar height. So, for me, using the saddle adjustment to push the saddle back and raising it less, is more effective as well.

I currently believe a significant portion of my hand numbness (when picking a saddle position that does distribute weight back) is coming from road vibration. First, I don't have much numbness on pavement. Second, it gets worse any time I pump up my tires. Third, I am now consistently having a "light grip" on the grips. And finally, it gets way worse in crazy gravel sections. See gravel below.

I have decided that the "slope/gradient" metric simply isn't reliable enough to be worth while on the main screen. I will replace it with something else (possibly heart rate for now, or maybe some version of motor power).

Tifosi alliant glasses are fine. They don't fully protect you from dirt clouds, but a combination of them and blinking actually works pretty well. I never really had to "stop and deal with it". Or slow down. But dust does still sneak in around the lenses. This is not a weeping angels. There is no "don't blink" required. From a darkening perspective, they were fantastic. From direct sun to shaded tree canopies, I never thought about their fototec shading at all. It just worked. Now, comfort, not amazing. It feels like my nose is a touch too big for these frames, so they feel like they are going to slide off or be knocked out of place. A couple times I pushed them back, mostly to find they hadn't really moved much. I suspect I can find something with better fit, but would have to actually go to REI and try a bunch of things. And, finally, nitpicking, I can see the "vents" a bit in my view. Will get used to it, just noticed it.

Battery was lower than expected. 54% left after about 18.2 miles. *And* on this route I actively tried to abandon turbo when I could. It was used for 40% of the ride with eco 51% of the ride and the remainder was sport (this is much lower settings than the last time I did almost exactly this route, but more battery usage). Now, my settings (assuming the vado didn't forget them) are 20/50/100 microtune equivalent. Strava did register this as a very high effort ride. And I did create some max power records. So, it's quite possible, when in eco, I am still pouring on enough power to make that part of the ride pretty high energy as compared to forgetting to leave turbo and just casually pedaling along. My goal is ultimately to pick the support that makes me *want* to work the hardest on average. When the going is easier, that may be eco, and when the going is harder, that is turbo. This, of course, will also use more battery *unless* I spend significantly less time in turbo.

I extended this route by doing an additional road that adds maybe a mile. This mile was effectively large part gravel. At speed, I kept feeling the bike trying to slide out from under me. I couldn't dodge some potholes because of how sensitive changing direction on this gravel is. It's like the tires basically start sliding along the top of the gravel and changing direction would be about as effective as a car on ice (and possibly very bad). So I just stay the course, slowly, slow down, and wait for a ground change (which is never far away).

This brings me to two things: 1) tires 2) stems

After winter, and after I have tried snow/ice riding with studded tires, I think it may make sense for the non-winter tires to be a bit more gravel/dirt focused. 2/3 of these big loop routes are pothole, gravel and dirt covered backroads (even the paved sections tend to have a layer of dirt/gravel over them at times). I don't know how much tires will change the feeling under the bike, but I have a suspicion I am pushing these tires too fast on surfaces they don't handle very effectively. And my comfort with the route, and having done these roads 5 or 6 times makes me more comfortable at speed from a "knowing the road" and where cars hide perspective. So, I think, some more gravel oriented tires would be a good change.

Stems is an interesting one. If the assumption is that a large part of numbness is vibration, than a suspension stem that absorbs vibration makes sense. The problem is the specialized stem is pretty short (60-65mm) and already has a 20 degree rise. The shortest eesilk stem is 80mm and has a -7 degree "rise". Which will increase my reach. The shortest kinekt is 90mm for 6 degree rise. Or 100mm for 30 or 50 degree rise. Those last two are very interesting to me. If one of the things making this comfortable is getting my handle bars up to or "above" saddle height, that may be a way to do it. My reach seems like it could go a bit further, but I don't know what this would do to the weight distribution front to back. If the weight distribution stays shifted rearward, the kinekt stems really may be an interesting solution. Also, they are more winter friendly.

Jacketless, cool, sunny rides are the best thing ever. Less prep, nothing to think about. Put on chest strap, helmet and glasses and go. (I did take my hoodie in case it got cold).

Ok, that's my information dump for today. Gonna keep trying. I have a stretch of glorious warm weather happening and will probably continue the afternoon rides until the difference isn't so spectacularly big anymore. There is a rain day coming that may test those rain pants.

I have some observations about a bunch of new things.

Kinekt is basically perfectly set. Every once in a while, my cadence and the road seem to "align" and the seat bounces in a rhythm for a bit. It's not uncomfortable, it is just noticeable. This will generally happen in light washboard style bumps that end up matching my cadence such that I am pushing up as the seat is already moving up to adjust. And you get this rollercoaster up/down cloudy feeling. Again, it's not bad, just noticeable. Most of the time, the "active" suspension is a lot less apparent. The current setting seems to work well.

The more I have played with saddle height, the more it feels like the saddle needs to be adjusted for your optimal leg position, and the handle bars need to be moved (which I currently can't do) for the hand position. Creating a saddle position that "forces" me to sit back and distribute weight that direction seems to be the most effective at addressing general numbness. There seems to also be a relationship with the saddle height to the handlebar height. So, for me, using the saddle adjustment to push the saddle back and raising it less, is more effective as well.

I currently believe a significant portion of my hand numbness (when picking a saddle position that does distribute weight back) is coming from road vibration. First, I don't have much numbness on pavement. Second, it gets worse any time I pump up my tires. Third, I am now consistently having a "light grip" on the grips. And finally, it gets way worse in crazy gravel sections. See gravel below.

I have decided that the "slope/gradient" metric simply isn't reliable enough to be worth while on the main screen. I will replace it with something else (possibly heart rate for now, or maybe some version of motor power).

Tifosi alliant glasses are fine. They don't fully protect you from dirt clouds, but a combination of them and blinking actually works pretty well. I never really had to "stop and deal with it". Or slow down. But dust does still sneak in around the lenses. This is not a weeping angels. There is no "don't blink" required. From a darkening perspective, they were fantastic. From direct sun to shaded tree canopies, I never thought about their fototec shading at all. It just worked. Now, comfort, not amazing. It feels like my nose is a touch too big for these frames, so they feel like they are going to slide off or be knocked out of place. A couple times I pushed them back, mostly to find they hadn't really moved much. I suspect I can find something with better fit, but would have to actually go to REI and try a bunch of things. And, finally, nitpicking, I can see the "vents" a bit in my view. Will get used to it, just noticed it.

Battery was lower than expected. 54% left after about 18.2 miles. *And* on this route I actively tried to abandon turbo when I could. It was used for 40% of the ride with eco 51% of the ride and the remainder was sport (this is much lower settings than the last time I did almost exactly this route, but more battery usage). Now, my settings (assuming the vado didn't forget them) are 20/50/100 microtune equivalent. Strava did register this as a very high effort ride. And I did create some max power records. So, it's quite possible, when in eco, I am still pouring on enough power to make that part of the ride pretty high energy as compared to forgetting to leave turbo and just casually pedaling along. My goal is ultimately to pick the support that makes me *want* to work the hardest on average. When the going is easier, that may be eco, and when the going is harder, that is turbo. This, of course, will also use more battery *unless* I spend significantly less time in turbo.

I extended this route by doing an additional road that adds maybe a mile. This mile was effectively large part gravel. At speed, I kept feeling the bike trying to slide out from under me. I couldn't dodge some potholes because of how sensitive changing direction on this gravel is. It's like the tires basically start sliding along the top of the gravel and changing direction would be about as effective as a car on ice (and possibly very bad). So I just stay the course, slowly, slow down, and wait for a ground change (which is never far away).

This brings me to two things: 1) tires 2) stems

After winter, and after I have tried snow/ice riding with studded tires, I think it may make sense for the non-winter tires to be a bit more gravel/dirt focused. 2/3 of these big loop routes are pothole, gravel and dirt covered backroads (even the paved sections tend to have a layer of dirt/gravel over them at times). I don't know how much tires will change the feeling under the bike, but I have a suspicion I am pushing these tires too fast on surfaces they don't handle very effectively. And my comfort with the route, and having done these roads 5 or 6 times makes me more comfortable at speed from a "knowing the road" and where cars hide perspective. So, I think, some more gravel oriented tires would be a good change.

Stems is an interesting one. If the assumption is that a large part of numbness is vibration, than a suspension stem that absorbs vibration makes sense. The problem is the specialized stem is pretty short (60-65mm) and already has a 20 degree rise. The shortest eesilk stem is 80mm and has a -7 degree "rise". Which will increase my reach. The shortest kinekt is 90mm for 6 degree rise. Or 100mm for 30 or 50 degree rise. Those last two are very interesting to me. If one of the things making this comfortable is getting my handle bars up to or "above" saddle height, that may be a way to do it. My reach seems like it could go a bit further, but I don't know what this would do to the weight distribution front to back. If the weight distribution stays shifted rearward, the kinekt stems really may be an interesting solution. Also, they are more winter friendly.

Jacketless, cool, sunny rides are the best thing ever. Less prep, nothing to think about. Put on chest strap, helmet and glasses and go. (I did take my hoodie in case it got cold).

Ok, that's my information dump for today. Gonna keep trying. I have a stretch of glorious warm weather happening and will probably continue the afternoon rides until the difference isn't so spectacularly big anymore. There is a rain day coming that may test those rain pants.
I sure wish I had the stamina and enthusiasm to document my experiences as you do. My GOD! What energy! 😛

I sure wish I had the stamina and enthusiasm to document my experiences as you do. My GOD! What energy! 😛
It honestly helps me collect my thoughts. There is a lot of competing problems that are easier to resolve when you write it down. :)

And through all that, I forgot to mention the HRM. The strap is driving me bat crap crazy. It rolls the *instant* I start moving. And I haven't been able to prevent it from rolling. The issue is, once it does roll, it is itchy and uncomfortable. So, when I put it on, I move around and make sure the rolling is done, and it is tolerable. Really want a different source for heart rate. (as I re-lose body fat, I imagine this problem will go away).

A bad thing happened. The motor stopped working and mastermind said something about motor power connection check the app for messages. The app had no messages I could find. I was 2 blocks from the LBS at the beginning of my ride, so instead of taking pictures I took it over there. He said he had seen it occasionally, but usually a power off/on fixes it. Which it did. So, gonna keep an eye on this.

Once that happened, I killed my navigation planned route cause I would likely need to do a new route. Instead, I just decided to do seat of pants navigation, and try and learn stuff about seat height vs hand numbness. So, I navigated purely by map. And it looks like I tried to make a maple leaf. ;)

I decided to pick roads I knew well enough that I know the name, and I know where each side I travel ends up in terms of biking. Even with that, using MC maps to navigate is ridiculous. There are no street names, it doesn't orient the way you are facing (unless it's a setting I haven't found) and when you zoom out, all the smaller roads dissapear so it's hard to get the big picture. I eventually just opened apple maps. This was a lot of fun. But it's also how I ended up on a way too long 23 mile ride. I loved the "adventure" of it, but it really got out of hand. I ended up combining aspects of both my regular loops.

I also returned with 44% battery. Not entirely unexpected. Probably means a 40 mile range around here without much regard for the terrain. Which is fine for me, as today will generally be about as long a ride as I will be able to do regularly.

So, since this became a Frankenstein off plan, stop at intersections to check the map kind of route, I decided to also mess with saddle position. And, I definitely found that I could push a lot more power more easily when I have the saddle at the higher end of the range I have been using. It was crazy how obvious it was. I did a 2cm change, and suddenly my legs felt like they were bound and couldn't push nearly as much power. What about numbness? Well, when I lowered the saddle there seemed to be an "immediate" improvement, but it didn't seem to last on the rough roads. Meaning while the higher saddle probably does contribute to numbness if I am not actively working on core strength, but it's still vibration that may be the main culprit. Over time, core strength will help keep the body balanced, while I am not sure vibration will (or should) get much better.

Another thing is I spent 22% of the ride with the motor off. I found that the "bite" I could feel in the pedals on some sections was just nice. So much so that I may re-think my eco/sport/turbo distributions. I definitely prefer the just 1 or 2 button presses to switch through the modes over microtune. I also feel like turbo 100% is probably more than I really need a lot of the time.

Anyway, it was an extremely enjoyable ride despite the tech issue. In fact, maybe because of it. Forerunner should arrive today. Hopefully use it tomorrow.

A bad thing happened. The motor stopped working and mastermind said something about motor power connection check the app for messages. The app had no messages I could find.
IGH? I had the very same issue with mine more than 2 times, and upon returning to the LBS and being told, "Just turn it on/off, there is no fix", which began my return/refund process, credit card dispute, and "Rider-I-Don't Care" telling me bye-bye forever and do not ever contact them ever for anything. Well documented.

Back