ew rear wheel opinions?

Agreed, I think that's a safe bet. But that doesn't automatically mean they are "better". It's means they have experience with them, and likely a source to get them easily....

I guess my point is/was, there should be no trouble finding 36h rims that most would agree are high quality. I narrowed those down further by considering only rims with reinforced spoke holes. That did make finding something I could use, including only those with a width suitable for use with 2.3-2.8" tires, kinda challenging. Admitted, it did take a while. Finally found one on e-bay....
What did you find for rims and in which size?
I'm eventually going down this path for the heck of it (I have a spare set of wheels at the moment already), and after completely stellar customer service from DT Swiss (questions on parts for a freehub swap - lots of info AND they sent me a part that was being difficult to find gratis) - will start by picking up the hubs, but will have to choose between 32H and 36H... what did you find in 27.5" 36H? (I ask wholly selfishly.. :D )

So, actually - I was looking to build my first set of wheels, and there is some weirdness out there RE: 32h vs 36h rims and components from what I saw.
Neither WTB KOM nor Raceface ARC rims, for example, are available in 36H at this point in time.

DT Swiss 350 Hybrid does come in 32H or 36H, while other DT350 hubs, even the newer Straight-pull spokes - do not.
I'm sure each builder has their own preferred components, and may say whatever in the event they don't carry or can't easily get something.

DT XM521, also a popular rim - doesn't come in 36H either. Their model names drive me insane as they're not logical that I can tell, still looking at other rims but it's still somewhat uncommon, or so it seems. DT's line of Hybrid (ebike) specific times - also doesn't seem to come in 36H at the moment..
from what I have heard less and less will be made with 36h. I wonder what parts are different on the hybrid 350 hub verses the regular? should not need bearings for a year or so. my builder told me if I can find Phil wood bearings that would be a good upgrade.

from what I have heard less and less will be made with 36h. I wonder what parts are different on the hybrid 350 hub verses the regular? should not need bearings for a year or so. my builder told me if I can find Phil wood bearings that would be a good upgrade.
The Hybrid DT350 has the steel freehub body if ordering HG, slightly bigger bearings and some reinforcement from what I recall reading. It also comes with a 24T set of ratchets inside, vs default 18 and other 36T or 54T ratchets. They give some charts somewhere - overall seems relatively minimal changes on the order of ~20% additional load/strength but it's also convenient in not needing to swap free hubs etc.

OH PLEASE, will you stop with the bull crap/smack talk already!!!!! There is absolutely no truth to that! 32h stuff is generally used on lightweight conventional bicycles and have been around/available forever. Most production e-bikes are built using 36h which is a newer spec. set up with e-bikes in mind.

Regarding both hubs and rims, they're the same from what I can see, with the major difference being the number of the holes drilled in the undrilled blanks. I went with hubs using sealed bearings. That's something I'm not planning on having to service for a LONG time....

You mention 36h are hard to find, which is true (harder, but not impossible). What I'm wondering, is if you are so convinced the 32h are superior, why were you looking for/at the 36h?

What did you find for rims and in which size?
I'm eventually going down this path for the heck of it (I have a spare set of wheels at the moment already), and after completely stellar customer service from DT Swiss (questions on parts for a freehub swap - lots of info AND they sent me a part that was being difficult to find gratis) - will start by picking up the hubs, but will have to choose between 32H and 36H... what did you find in 27.5" 36H? (I ask wholly selfishly.. :D )
I ended up with a 27.5" 34mm wide (outside) Mavic for the rear and a 32mm for the front. Would have preferred 34mm for both ends, but was happy to find what I did! I didn't do as well with DT Swiss. I asked them about a 170mm hub I needed and the person I talked to wasn't familiar with the 170mm at all I don't think. It wasn't until later that I found they don't market them as 170mm, they were 165 or something slightly smaller, that are used with adapters for 170mm applications. I wasn't impressed.

Sorry to say, I can't find ANY of the links referencing all of this. -Al

OH PLEASE, will you stop with the bull crap/smack talk already!!!!! There is absolutely no truth to that! 32h stuff is generally used on lightweight conventional bicycles and have been around/available forever. Most production e-bikes are built using 36h which is a newer spec. set up with e-bikes in mind.

Regarding both hubs and rims, they're the same from what I can see, with the major difference being the number of the holes drilled in the undrilled blanks. I went with hubs using sealed bearings. That's something I'm not planning on having to service for a LONG time....

You mention 36h are hard to find, which is true (harder, but not impossible). What I'm wondering, is if you are so convinced the 32h are superior, why were you looking for/at the 36h?

I ended up with a 27.5" 34mm wide (outside) Mavic for the rear and a 32mm for the front. Would have preferred 34mm for both ends, but was happy to find what I did! I didn't do as well with DT Swiss. I asked them about a 170mm hub I needed and the person I talked to wasn't familiar with the 170mm at all I don't think. It wasn't until later that I found they don't market them as 170mm, they were 165 or something slightly smaller, that are used with adapters for 170mm applications. I wasn't impressed.
man yes cheaper bikes are 36 I had two both failed. 32 is the cheaper standard now. Just go into a bike shop. wheels have become stronger. no pro wheel builder recommend a 36 wheel for me and I will take their word on it. hubs are different mine can be fully taken apart by hand and I can change the end caps I can use a standard qr or convert them to through axle. I was looking for 36 till I was educated about how I did not need 36. a cheap 36 wheel would be stronger then a cheap 32 wheel. if I weighted 250 pounds I would need a 36 but I don't.

Back