Evo Cross Display panel/power failure

rojagrande

My wife’s bike keeps cutting out, sometimes at the worse possible times ie. Hill climbing. It happens around 3 times per 10 miles. We thought it was a bad contact so our mechanics screwed the panel on permanently to its housing but it’s still happening. She reported an error 5 or S on the screen. The bike is a few years old but not many miles on it.
Any suggestions? I’m happy to replace the panel if anyone can recommend a place to get one.
Cheers!

Reactions: Gil
My wife’s bike keeps cutting out, sometimes at the worse possible times ie. Hill climbing. It happens around 3 times per 10 miles. We thought it was a bad contact so our mechanics screwed the panel on permanently to its housing but it’s still happening. She reported an error 5 or S on the screen. The bike is a few years old but not many miles on it.
Any suggestions? I’m happy to replace the panel if anyone can recommend a place to get one.
Cheers!
It's my experience the error is from the display. I've installed that screw and the error can still occur. The error can happen when you change assist too aggressively or bump the display. I don't often change the assist level and when I do, I do it gently. I've eliminated 95% of the errors, but still once in awhile I'll accidentally bump the display and get an error.

You can replace the display with a non removable display.

I've resisted this because I like the option of removal and I only get the error a few times a year. It's obviously a faulty design, or BH would not have redesigned it. Interestingly BH isn't the only manufacturer that has faced this problem, I have friends that have had the same issue with other brands. A better design is to have a separate button pad permanently mounted along with a removable display.

Last edited:
Thanks JR,
‘Looks like the dealer you recommended are out of stock and slammed so I can’t get customer service.

Thanks JR,
‘Looks like the dealer you recommended are out of stock and slammed so I can’t get customer service.
Try Will at @Scooteretti

He might be able to help. I've talked to him on the phone, good guy and very knowledgeable. They are in Canada, but ship to the US.

A thread where he discusses the display: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...oducts-help-solutions-fixes.13108/post-196471

Website: https://shop.scooteretti.com/collections/easy-motion-parts

Will do.
Its been a couple of years since I’ve checked in to EBR. The community was a great help when I first bought my bikes. Good to see the support Is still there.
Thanks again!

Hi J.R.
Tested a new console/display. It doesn’t seem to be the problem. The bike is kinda pulsing which leads me to think it might Be the sensor. My mechanic is going to check it out next week. I know parts are hard to find so I think I’ll order a new sensor just in case. Hopefully I can return it or sell it if that’s not the cause.
Could you help me out and tell me which one would work from the Voltaire webpage.
Cheers!
RG

Hi J.R.
Tested a new console/display. It doesn’t seem to be the problem. The bike is kinda pulsing which leads me to think it might Be the sensor. My mechanic is going to check it out next week. I know parts are hard to find so I think I’ll order a new sensor just in case. Hopefully I can return it or sell it if that’s not the cause.
Could you help me out and tell me which one would work from the Voltaire webpage.
Cheers!
RG

I would rely on the dealer/parts supplier to spec the correct torque sensor for the specific year and model of your bike. BH did a good job making many of the displays backward compatible. I'm not sure of the torque sensor.

In any case, installing, adjusting and calibrating a torque sensor takes some specialty tools and instructions. It would be a good idea to find a dealer that services these bikes to diagnose and install with some assurances. That said, if it were me I'd probably give it a go too, if my options were limited.

Good luck! Let us know how all this goes. I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

Recently, my Neo Cross was parked on its kickstand when it was nudged and toppled onto a fence. The display smashed and the connector mount too. Replacing the mount with one from my small collection allowed me to get running again as the buttons still work but with no visual indication.

In August 2019 I ordered two Generation 4 BH fixed displays from Scooteretti in Canada but my order was cancelled in November as the parts were unavailable. BH no longer have a UK presence and my email request to the dealer who got me replacement batteries two years ago went unanswered. I thought about contacting BH in Spain but had the impression from other posts that they only communicate through dealers.

Googling “display emotion” wasn’t producing very useful results but adding “Neo” to this turned up a French site ecycle.fr. They showed the gen 4 display “in stock” so I took a chance and ordered two despite having to use google translate as the site is French only. They wrote back in French and English explaining that they were awaiting stock at the moment but would have them in a week. They actually delivered to me within a week of my order.

The displays are great and are switchable between kilometres and miles - the old ones were k only. The battery level is now a percentage as well as 5 bars. The replacement batteries I fitted two years ago no longer cause the display to flash 0 bars every 5 seconds. No spurious comms error codes 05 or 13 so far. There is a range estimate now built in but I haven’t worked out what it’s parameters are yet. The displays sit a little closer to the handle bars so the gear shift indicator on our Neo City is more visible. Downsides - the display can no longer be removed, which I did every time we were away from the bikes and when we covered and strapped them to the back of the car or motorhome. The new display is just as vulnerable to falling wrongly against a fence as the old one. I see new BH ebikes have a display that tucks out of the way.

I am happy again.

Attachments

• 9EFA54AD-935E-4DBE-BED1-0E0A8ED2CBD9.jpeg
    9EFA54AD-935E-4DBE-BED1-0E0A8ED2CBD9.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 665
  • 7D59A2CE-DE5F-4601-929A-F8E27E57BAF0.jpeg
    7D59A2CE-DE5F-4601-929A-F8E27E57BAF0.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Reactions: Gil
Back