Easy Motion EVO Big LCD Display Overview

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
While visiting the old BH / Easy Motion North American headquarters in Southern California, I was able to spend some time digging into the Big LCD display control pad that is found on many EVO Easy Motion Electric bikes and current generation BH ebike models. In this video guide, I show how to change units from miles to kilometers, how to clear trip distance, how to activate lights, and how to enable walk mode (thought it has been disabled on many newer models). This display is incredibly deep with lots of different configuration options in the settings menu. It is large, making it easier to read, has a full sized USB type A charging port built into the base, and is removable for safe keeping. I've attached pictures at the bottom showing the display panel attached to the mount and removed.

• Display Panel / Control Pad Buttons: +, Power, -/Lights
  • Assist Levels: +ECO, ECO, Std, HIGH, EXPW (Extra Power)
  • Readouts: Current Speed (M/H or KM/H), Trip Stats (Total Distance, Total Time, Total Average Speed, Trip Distance, Trip Time, Trip Average Speed, Estimated Range Miles/Kilometers to Go), Battery Capacity (5 Bars and Percentage), Assist Level (0% No Assist, 30% Eco, 50% Normal, 70% Sport, 100% Boost)
Extra Tips: Hold - for LCD Backlighting and Ebike Lights (When Present), Throttle Mode Only Works in Assist Level Zero, Some Ebikes Have Walk Mode (Hold +), Hold Power and - Buttons to Clear Trip Stats, Hold + and - to Enter Settings (Wheel Size, Units Miles/Kilometers, Snow Rear Wheel Drive or Front Wheel Drive or Eco or Both All, Battery Capacity Amp Hours, and software version ie. v3.7), Hold the Power Button to Exit the Settings Menu.

Pros: The display and independent button pad can be removed for protection. It boots up quickly and the screen is large so it's easy to read. The backlight/headlights button is very clear and easy to use compared to many other displays. It's cross compatible between a wide range of electric bikes from Easy Motion/BH and easier to replace because the company is well established with a sizable network of dealers. It lists a very precise battery percentage readout vs. five bars like many competing offerings. It has an integrated USB charging port (built into the base) that allows you to maintain or top-off mobile electronic devices like smartphones while riding.

Cons: All of the NEO/EVO ebikes from Easy Motion/BH use a TMM4 torque sensor that resets each time the bike is powered up (this can trigger an Error 14, just power the bike down and start again without moving or pushing on the pedals). Another common readout is Error 14 for if the connector to the display panel is loose. The range estimation readout does not update immediately as you change assist level. I find the many trip/total/range menus to be a bit confusing and overwhelming to navigate through. It would be great if they were labeled more clearly. Throttle mode does not override assist, you have to be in level zero which requires more clicking and forethought. Walk mode has been disabled on the newer displays (you used to hold the + button to activate it).

Quick tips:
  • To change level of assist, press the + and - keys
  • To activate the lights and LCD backlighting, hold the - key
  • To enter into the settings menu, hold the + and - keys
  • To reset trip stats, hold Power and - keys
  • To change menus, tap the Power key
  • To use the throttle, if the ebike has one, you must be in assist level zero
  • Don't ride the bike or put pressure on the pedals when powering it up or it could throw off calibration and cause an Error 14
  • If one of the connector points is loose, the display might show an Error 13
easy-motion-big-lcd-display-evo.jpgeasy-motion-big-lcd-display-evo-back.jpgeasy-motion-bh-electric-bike-manuals-settings.jpg

As always, I really appreciate corrections, additions, and tips about things that might not have been communicated clearly here. This display was used on a wide range of ebikes and I believe that some had a bluetooth option. The Easy Motion name has been dropped and all future models are falling under the BH brand name. You can visit the BH ebike forum here.

Last edited:
Hey Court,
Thanks for the info.
As a Bh owner i can add some comments.
Is a very good display compared to the older smaller left hand one.
1) in 1.5k miles i never had error 14 shown, so that is a non issue as long as you wait 1-2secinds after powering on for the TMM4 sensor to calibrate it.
2) very solid connection-never comes off unless you lift it up and remove it. Stronger pins maybe ?
Q- do you or anyone knows what are P7/P8 showing ?
Those are shown are when you hold -/+ toghter and show
P1- wheel size
P2- unit -m/km

P3-snow/ front wheel off/onntroller temp
P4-bat. Amps

P5-controller temp.
P6- TMM4 calibration
P7- ?? Mine says on top 12.2 and on bottom is not very clear but looks like it says AH. 50H ?

P8- it shows 3.1 , What is this number ?? Cell voltage ?

P4 lists the battery amps -12.6amp , but it can also be lowered.
Q Does it affect the range/performance if i change the amps in P7 ??
To show the trip miles/total , i find is very easy. Just press the button once for each to show and it will remain on whatever info you want. I have mine aleays on total miles.
I also want to know about the bluetooth module. Not sure if it was just a prototype or not.
My bike is 3018 model and did not came with it.

I think with the 2018 models Bh easy motion really Up’d their game and is def. a top contender for best e bike brand - they have it all reliability/dealer presence/quality/good price/great components.
And their 2019 line up is impressive .
Q - Can you do some reviews on the Xstep bikes ? I see you did lots of Bulls reviews, i like those too

Back