Evelo Aurora Limited versus Pedego Interceptor Platinum

Knappster

Region
USA
City
Houston
New to this forum, but have enjoyed the informative reviews. I have narrowed by search to two options: the Evelo Aurora Limited or the Pedego Platinum Intercepter in step-through with the 26 inch Mag wheels. I’m a 63 year young, 300 pounder, some arthritis issues: hence the upright riding position with these cruiser styles. Price difference at this time (Dec, 2020) between the two is minimal, so to me it will likely come down to the difference in the ride between the mid (EAL) and rear (PPI) load balance.

Here is what I’m thinking:
The new ’Pedalsense’ for the PPI makes it more similar to the torque sensing option of the EAL. But I prefer, on paper at least, the Enviolo N380 on the EAL, especially when paired with the modified mid-Dapu 750W plus belt drive compared to the standard 10 speed derailleur, the 500W rear-Daou and chain drive. If you considered the availability of repair and service for the Pedego it kind of balances out the component advantage of the Evelo. I plan to ask a local Bike Barn shop if they can do warranty work. Evelo said they do, but I want to confirm.

Since the EAL comes with a 21 day no risk return policy, I went ahead and ordered it: $3599 over Black Friday with a free lock. it should be here in mid-January. In the meantime, I plan to test drive the PPI and wait to make a decision after riding the EAL. That should answer any remaining questions, since one common bit of advice I’ve heard in this forum it to test drive, if possible. The 21 day policy for the EAL makes this possible, so I just need to be strong and try to resist the sales pitch of the Pedego folks until I can compare.

Any comments or feedback? Glad to be a part of this group. Steve

I went ahead and ordered a Pedego Platinum Interceptor 26” step through yesterday to take advantage of their year end offer of $300 battery upgrade and $500 in accessories. Also like the looks of the Platinum Boomerang both neither in stock with the Mag wheels that Pedego is now manufacturing themselves.

Now it’s the waiting game. I made it clear to them that I plan to ride all three, then choose. I’ll keep you posted as to the outcome.

I'm also a heavy rider and frequently carry 40 lbs of cargo. As you've discovered, weight restrictions limit the bike choice considerably. After testing a dozen or so bikes, I chose the Pedego Platinum Interceptor step thru with mag wheel option. In all fairness, I didn't test the Aurora so I can't offer a direct comparison.

None of the bikes I tested had the upright riding position I wanted and most didn't have enough seat tube clearance to add a quality suspension seatpost. A good suspension post requires at least 4" of clearance between the seat rails and the top of the seat tube. The Pedego had the seat tube clearance (yes, The bike comes with a spring seat post but it isn't very comfortable), but not the upright riding position. The swept back handlebars however provided plenty of cable slack which allowed me to easily add a stem riser and switch handlebars. These two factors combined with a great warranty, nationwide dealer network and super customer service were the main reasons I chose the Pedego.

All the bikes I tested had their good points and bad. A lot has to do with personal preference though and you're doing the right thing by testing both.

The Aurora's mid drive would be better if you ride steep hills or rough trails. The Pedego direct drive hub motor provides smooth even performance with far less strain on the chain & gears. It also pedals more like a conventional bike if you ride with the power off. If you do a site search, you'll find much discussion here on mid vs rear hub motors.

Welcome to the forum and by all means, keep us informed with what you decide!

Received my Aurora Limited and still trying it out. First impression was how heavy it was for tasks like loading it onto the Thule EZ-fold I bought. The ramp that comes with it is basically useless (too short), so I bought the longer one at my local Pedego while trying out both the Interceptor and the Boomerang Platinum editions. I liked the gray metallic color of the Boomerang better than the silver Interceptor. The ride of both is similar, but very different from the Aurora Limited. Still going to try both, since my wife has a regular Boomerang I can use to compare more to the Aurora while on the 21 day trial period.

One issue that I hopefully solved was with the Enviolo transmission. I had a hard time getting the optimal cadence when using the blue "automatic" setting. The yellow "manual" once seem more intuitive to me. I was riding on a flat area with no hills and the 'auto' seemed to not shift up as I increased speed. I set it to the middle part of the dial, but the pedals when like I was in first gear. So I followed the directions and calibrated the system and will try again later.

Other question I had is what sort of rack to people use for storing their bikes? I bought a nice wall mount rack (Steadyrack) but to lift the front wheel into the holder is quite a chore. I might end up using the one I installed for my wife's lighter Pedego. What do people use, since I'd rather not leave the tires on the ground when not using?

I've been storing my bikes on the floor most of my life and have never had a tire problem. Almost half the bike's weight is supported by the kickstand.

Some prefer to get the bikes off the floor to eliminate possible damage. There are various pulley systems that let you suspend the bike from the ceiling:

71S5uqnMJNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's easier to pull a heavy bike up with ropes rather than lift it onto a wall storage system.

Received my Aurora Limited and still trying it out. First impression was how heavy it was for tasks like loading it onto the Thule EZ-fold I bought. The ramp that comes with it is basically useless (too short), so I bought the longer one at my local Pedego while trying out both the Interceptor and the Boomerang Platinum editions. I liked the gray metallic color of the Boomerang better than the silver Interceptor. The ride of both is similar, but very different from the Aurora Limited. Still going to try both, since my wife has a regular Boomerang I can use to compare more to the Aurora while on the 21 day trial period.

One issue that I hopefully solved was with the Enviolo transmission. I had a hard time getting the optimal cadence when using the blue "automatic" setting. The yellow "manual" once seem more intuitive to me. I was riding on a flat area with no hills and the 'auto' seemed to not shift up as I increased speed. I set it to the middle part of the dial, but the pedals when like I was in first gear. So I followed the directions and calibrated the system and will try again later.

Other question I had is what sort of rack to people use for storing their bikes? I bought a nice wall mount rack (Steadyrack) but to lift the front wheel into the holder is quite a chore. I might end up using the one I installed for my wife's lighter Pedego. What do people use, since I'd rather not leave the tires on the ground when not using?
So, what bike did you end up keeping and what factors played into your decision?

So, what bike did you end up keeping and what factors played into your decision?
Still going strong with the Evelo Aurora Limited.
Modified my Pedego order to get a Boomerang for my wife, since the wheels I ordered never came in stock and I was very happy with the EAL.

Back