espin Flow?

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
Posted in the main forum, but thought I might get more input from owners here...

Looking for a second bike to keep at our second home. Currently ride a Giant La Free, but looking at the espin Flow, which is very attractive in styling!

I'm concerned the ride will feel just to jerky/surge-y with the hub drive, after becoming used to the smoothness of the mid-drive.

What is the experience of Flow owners regarding the feel of the ride?

You definitely want the opinion of Sport owners too since the bikes are mechanically identical. I have a long October wait for my Flow so I can't help.

Posted in the main forum, but thought I might get more input from owners here...

Looking for a second bike to keep at our second home. Currently ride a Giant La Free, but looking at the espin Flow, which is very attractive in styling!

I'm concerned the ride will feel just to jerky/surge-y with the hub drive, after becoming used to the smoothness of the mid-drive.

What is the experience of Flow owners regarding the feel of the ride?

I have had the Flows brother Sport for a few days and I really like it. I couldn't call it jerky. It is responsive. I have ridden so far on streets and bike paths and it has performed like a champ. I have been mainly in PAS 3 and 5 and cruise flat in 8th gear at 25 mph with very little pedaling effort. The brakes are solid and if I really cant find a knock. Is it a Riese and Muller? Nope, but it's also 1199 vs 10 grand. When you add it all up:

Hydraulic disc brakes
Good size motor
55 lbs
Kenda tires
Decent deralieur
Front suspension
Lights front and rear
Rack

1199 is a bargain IMHO...

I am 5'1"...do you think that would be OK for the Flow? Or pushing it? That is their lower limit for the bike so not sure I would feel it was too big?

I am 5'1"...do you think that would be OK for the Flow? Or pushing it? That is their lower limit for the bike so not sure I would feel it was too big?
Should be fine for the Flow

One thing to remember is, if you're not accustomed to riding in a more upright posture, just about any bike that puts you in that position is going to feel "too big" until you get used to it. That was my experience with my Giant La Free, but after riding it for awhile, I adjusted.

Jerky... that sounds like bike salesman talk trying to sell a mid-drive.

I just got my wife's Flow (Smoke Gray) delivered yesterday and it took me about an hour to put it together. Took it for a ride and I must say that is a dream to ride, the shifts were crisp and dead one and the brakes worked very well. I highly doubt my wife will ever use anything above PAS 2 but I ran it out to PAS 5 and started to slow down at 25 MPH. For the price of $1199 shipped you get a extremely good value for the money. BTW - Loved the integrated headlight and taillight, not a bad perk............
IMG_20200914_142931800.jpg
IMG_20200915_140633500.jpg

I just got my wife's Flow (Smoke Gray) delivered yesterday and it took me about an hour to put it together. Took it for a ride and I must say that is a dream to ride, the shifts were crisp and dead one and the brakes worked very well. I highly doubt my wife will ever use anything above PAS 2 but I ran it out to PAS 5 and started to slow down at 25 MPH. For the price of $1199 shipped you get a extremely good value for the money. BTW - Loved the integrated headlight and taillight, not a bad perk............View attachment 65431View attachment 65432
Nice! How tall is your wife?

I just got my wife's Flow (Smoke Gray) delivered yesterday and it took me about an hour to put it together. Took it for a ride and I must say that is a dream to ride, the shifts were crisp and dead one and the brakes worked very well. I highly doubt my wife will ever use anything above PAS 2 but I ran it out to PAS 5 and started to slow down at 25 MPH. For the price of $1199 shipped you get a extremely good value for the money. BTW - Loved the integrated headlight and taillight, not a bad perk............View attachment 65431View attachment 65432
Waiting for same for my wife...sounds like it's going to outrun my Rover. Can I ask when you ordered?

So how was that rectified, did you just reject the Sport?
No, I thought it was the Flow so I opened the box and realized it was the Sport and sealed the box back up and called Espin and they sent me a new Fedex shipping label for the Sport so I sealed the box and attached the new shipping label.

Back