Hello from Brisbane

Tutoh

Region
Australia
Hello,
I've been looking for a forum like this to ask one question.
I live in the Inner North of Brisbane and I'm considering an e-bike. I'm well-aware of the laws that our state has regarding e-bikes.
I've ridden a couple of rental hub-drive e-bikes and I've ridden the Giant Talon E + 1 EMTB. I'm really impressed with the weight of the Talon E + 1 and I'm really impressed with how it feels like a very good mountain bike with the power turned off. There seems to be no friction at all in the mid-drive while pedalling with no power.
I'd really like to find out how much friction a Bafang Mid-drive motor makes when there's no power as well. It's a make-or-break deal for me. The issue is that there's nowhere to rent or test-ride of these bikes.
Are there any mid-drive Bafang owners in Brisbane who are willing to allow a very brief test ride of their e-bikes in any location of their choosing?

I'd really like to find out how much friction a Bafang Mid-drive motor makes when there's no power as well. It's a make-or-break deal for me. The issue is that there's nowhere to rent or test-ride of these bikes.
Please don't.

I was riding my Frey Beast around yesterday without assistance. Can’t say I noticed any drag from the Ultra motor.

Went for a family ride and my wife’s sister was on an acoustic bike. Riding too slow for my liking so I switched off the assistance for some exercise.

I was riding my Frey Beast around yesterday without assistance. Can’t say I noticed any drag from the Ultra motor.

Went for a family ride and my wife’s sister was on an acoustic bike. Riding too slow for my liking so I switched off the assistance for some exercise.
Thank you, good to know.
I would not have found out anywhere else.
So the Frey Beast has a 1800 Watt Motor that is limited to 250 Watts in Australia?

It's been 2/3 years, but I rode my giant back to back with an older bagang powered bike, I think it was this https://www.pirez.com.au/collection.../pirez-e3-estrada-250w-electric-mountain-bike

The bafang was a bit quieter than my giant ( yamaha pwx2) , but the power delivery was nowhere near as natural feeling . Power off, there wasn't any significant drag. HORRIBLE bike, but that's not the motors fault.

I think if you've sourced a good frame / manufacturer using the bafang then they can be acceptable, and it's really your only option if you want to have a throttle as well as almost legal motor in Australia. Possibly stealth , but that's risky.

NB buying a big brand bike gets you big brand support - especially if you have a reasonable local dealer. Most big brand bikes come with a 2 year warranty and sadly many owners get the opportunity to test those warranties.
For what it's worth, giant warranty is handled via the melb depo , phone support to dealer +/- snail mail parts supply. It's a non transferable warranty, ie if you sell the bike, no warranty to purchaser. The yamaha / giant motor is reasonably reliable but not perfect.
Specialized warranty is amazing - transferrable AND a rolling warranty that re sets after a part is replaced
Trek is OK if your dealer has a good relationship - the bosch is arguably the most reliable motor.

Bafang ? Good luck. You can at least get parts for them, but you need to be capable of diagnosis +/- mechanically capable ( or have a very patient bike shop)

Btw, I thin' these guys offer test rides. The frame is a reasonable quality design , some people find the chain stays a bit long, others like the improved climbing ability. If you thought a talon was a good mtb then you'd be blown away by these! It's only a few hours flight away......and they're enthusiasts so might be able to hook you up with a local owner

Thank you, good to know.
I would not have found out anywhere else.
So the Frey Beast has a 1800 Watt Motor that is limited to 250 Watts in Australia?
No, the Beast is not limited but the other Frey e-bikes are according to the dealer I bought it off.

Need to sign a disclaimer to get the limiter lifted.

So I bought the Beast and didn’t have to sign anything.

Btw, I thin' these guys offer test rides. The frame is a reasonable quality design , some people find the chain stays a bit long, others like the improved climbing ability. If you thought a talon was a good mtb then you'd be blown away by these! It's only a few hours flight away......and they're enthusiasts so might be able to hook you up with a local owner

They seem to have poor customer service reviews when I last looked at these. Hence I bought the Frey.

Last edited:
Okay, thank you for all the information. I've spoken to staff at Epic E-Bikes, who seem to stock the Frey. Now after browsing any thread to do with maintaining Bafang motors on the forum, I think I'm well and truly put off putting a Bafang motor on anything. All the attention to voltages, amperage, grease, preventing wires from pinching, bad gear shifting causing internal motor damage...

Apparently, there's an e-bike hire shop near me called Easy Ride that allows you to rent a Merida Crossway, which does have a Bafang mid-drive motor. At least, it would if it were to ever open. It was supposed to be open today, the website is still up and I see the odd person riding an NCM Venice Plus around the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Welcome!
When I was new to electric bikes I thought that BBS02's and HD's were great, until I learned better. I was a bit like a young sorority girl at a wine tasting going for the tootti-frutti sweet stuff. Then my tastes developed. Now it is torque sensor motors that cannot be ghost pedaled and have zero lag and no over-run, yet are super efficient.

Back