Emu

Biker1

Hi...Leslie is my name and live in the south west of Ireland.
I have an Emu electric bike,am having a,problem with the power intermittently cutting out specially on hills.
When this happens the wattage indicator on the screen reduces to zero then some pedals later shows the connection again.
The battery, is fine and it does seem to be a motor problem.
Would appreciate any ideas on this problem
Thanks

Hi and welcome. You should check and clean all the electrical connectors on your bike and see if that corrects the problem.

Found your Emu ebike online; nice looking bike with some good features, @Biker1.

Emu ebike.jpg

If the hills you are tackling are very steep or long; it's possible that the 250watt hub motor is overheating or trying to draw too much amperage and automatically cuts out. That's not a very large motor if the hills are big. Although you say the battery is "fine" have you checked the voltage? Even if it's a new or nearly new system, there could be a few bad cells inside the battery. Or if the motor is pulling too many amps, the BMS inside the battery can automatically shut it down. Curious as to which battery option you have.

Found your Emu ebike online; nice looking bike with some good features, @Biker1.

View attachment 22336

If the hills you are tackling are very steep or long; it's possible that the 250watt hub motor is overheating or trying to draw too much amperage and automatically cuts out. That's not a very large motor if the hills are big. Although you say the battery is "fine" have you checked the voltage? Even if it's a new or nearly new system, there could be a few bad cells inside the battery. Or if the motor is pulling too many amps, the BMS inside the battery can automatically shut it down. Curious as to which battery option you have.

Thanks Ann,will look into that, and let you know any progress...what do you mean by battery option?

When I went to the manufacturer's website, Emu bikes offers 2 different batteries for the bikes. One is a 10.4 Ah battery, the other is 14.5Ah. Oddly, nowhere on that site or in the owner's manual does it say what voltage the battery is. Could be 36V or 48V. I'm certain that info is on the battery case somewhere and definitely on the charger label.

If you have fairly steep hills, the lower amperage battery may not have the same max output as the larger one. Can't know since there's very little technical info on the bike components.

Back