EMTB pedals

DaveMatthews

Pedals... Rumour has it that the stock pedals on my new 2021 Stance E 29er are a POS.
Many of the 3rd party pedals are a much slimmer design which looks a lot better to me.
RaceFace, Rockbros, Ansjs, etc.
Any preference regarding grip, longevity, or???

I have OneUp pedals, and am happy with them. Plus they are from a local'ish company in Squamish.
I have two sets of OneUps and love them.

I also have 2 sets of RaceFace Stamp1 and love them as well.

IMH, Oneups are better offroad (better grip) and Stamp1s are better for easier riding.

You can change out the screws on either set of pedals to customize the grip

these guys are great far bigger then normal.
pedals.jpg

Pedals... Rumour has it that the stock pedals on my new 2021 Stance E 29er are a POS.
Many of the 3rd party pedals are a much slimmer design which looks a lot better to me.
I use the Bontrager line pro mtb flat pedals; have 10 pins to increase grip. I have 1800 miles on them and no issues , very solid and reliable. Only negative is that there not low profile and quite heavy.

In storage I have the Shimano XT m8140 flat pedals. Same design of the Bontragers I have but a bit heavier and also with 10 pins.

Last edited:
If they are the same nylon type my friend has on his new E+ Pro they are POS and you should do well with another setup. I just get cheap Amazon ones if needed but have a pair of Crank Brothers that I got free at Interbike one year that are my favorites, mainly because they are purple.

Dave, if you have the giant alloy pedals they are not bad, just not exotic. Solid, reliable, and they can cope with a beating. I've migrated the same set through 3 kids for their first intro to harder core mtb riding and now use them on my pump track bike - they have patina....actually, scrap metal would be a fair description...but they still grip and spin freely. Chunky, ugly, but functional.

But we eventually run a variety of pedals depending on need, and you really should try to identify what you want from a pedal before spending for a replacement.

As an example, both myself and sprogette 2 have one up - great grip and you can adjust pin height, nice and thin so marginally less risk of strikes , the contour seems to work with our flat feet so we get less numbness mid ball. They're not the most robust option, and if you tend to pedal strike a lit buy something different

Sprogette 1 has a super grippy ultra thin but silly wide thing that she likes for her down hill crazyness. I gate them, if feels like having flippers glued to the cranks and I like to be able to adjust foot position whilst riding.

So go out for a ride and try to think about what you want to achieve before spending.

I use the Bontrager line pro mtb flat pedals; have 10 pins to increase grip. I have 1800 miles on them and no issues , very solid and reliable. Only negative is that there not low profile and quite heavy.

In storage I have the Shimano XT m8140 flat pedals. Same design of the Bontragers I have but a bit heavier and also with 10 pins.

Those xt pedals are worse than the giant alloy imho - they seem to roll forward when I move my foot around ? Very solid, but try a set of mtb specific pedals and see what you think.

Those xt pedals are worse than the giant alloy imho - they seem to roll forward when I move my foot around ? Very solid, but try a set of mtb specific pedals and see what you think.
I have them in storage , I use the bontragers currently. Maybe you’re right about them or you bought the wrong size. They did however get good online reviews and I never had a problem with any of shimano’s components so I’m not expecting any issues when I do use them. Hopefully I won’t be disappointed.

The OneUp composite pedals occupy a nice spot on the price/performance curve. Relatively cheap, work well, durable. Once you get into the $100 and up pedals I don't think there is that much difference between them. Everyone wants to convince you that their shape is the bestest but platform pedals have been a solved problem for like 15 years. Theres only so many ways you can do "aluminum block with a few bearings in it and some pins". :p

I've run several over the years and honestly, the shoes make way more difference to performance than which fancy aluminum pedal you get.

now for the RANT!!! I just spent 5k on a bike and I have to buy pedals for it!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
It won't make you happier to know that the more you spend on a bike, the less likely it will be that it will come with pedals at all. :D

The reality is that most people spending big bucks on a bike are gonna have strong preferences for saddles and pedals and whatever comes on the bike is getting immediately replaced anyway.

Back