eMTB Options For 2024

150-160mm fork would make all the difference, but those look like a very good deal.
I nearly bought a Canondale pedalic a few years back - nice bikes. 👍

It's not expensive to extend forks ( IF the longer internals are available, which I think they are for the revelations - a mate had them on his merida e120 and took them out to 150 mm ).

My full e came with 140 mm fox performance 34 ebike , taking them out to 150 mm only cost $100(oz) - and made a huge difference . More stable in a straight line yet slightly lighter steering / easier to get the front up.

Do you remember me talking about that sx trance with 160 mm forks....you know you want to....

Ok, my turn to ask for advice - tell me about that torture device that sits on top of the dropper post.

For most of my riding I don't notice it's an issue - I guess I'm up on the pegs rather than grinding delicate things .....but today I spent a few hours sitting down and riding a rail trail. Ummm...that 2 year old giant seat might be a bit uncomfortable?

Now, I don't wear those nappy things under my shorts and really like to be able to move about when the post is dropped - so I guess I'm looking for something reasonably comfortable yet still slim? Is there some magical technique beyond trying lots on for fit?

A chamois type padded bike shorts means longer seat time before you get the burn. They are also very absorbent, and drier is more comfortable. I rarely wear them for short road trips, but if it's max distance then for sure.
On the motorbikes, a company called MOTOSKIVEEZ is hands down the hot ticket. A must have for long distance adventure riding!

For dirt biking we used anti-monkey-butt powder. LOL. Fantastic. I think it was a mix of cornstarch and talc with a manly scent. :p

A chamois type padded bike shorts means longer seat time before you get the burn. They are also very absorbent, and drier is more comfortable. I rarely wear them for short road trips, but if it's max distance then for sure.
On the motorbikes, a company called MOTOSKIVEEZ is hands down the hot ticket. A must have for long distance adventure riding!

For dirt biking we used anti-monkey-butt powder. LOL. Fantastic. I think it was a mix of cornstarch and talc with a manly scent. :p

The only time I use a chamois is for a long yacht race ( eg 18hours perched on fibreglass.)

I used to do 1000 k days on ktm seats ( admittedly standing up a lot) , I just couldn't get used to padding in my pants.

Guess I'll try again next time I plan to sit down a lot, but for 2/3 hours of mtb riding I prefer to feel the bike.

We nearly always upgraded seats. A local guy here has made a huge business selling custom foams and covers - SEATCONCEPTS. I've ridden with Len, the owner, really great guy.
KTM seats suck. LOL They all do! That was about the first upgrade on the Husky - stock was a brick.
Really good options for short and tall guys as well.

I got my workout this weekend - 40 miles on Saturday, another 12 Sunday.
Saturday I went out for our local loop again, this time taking a side trail another 4-5 miles that took me through a wilderness preserve and a scenic outlook perched on the highest local hill in the area. Downtown Los Angeles is about 45 miles to the NW of us, could see it today on the horizon. Just way scenic and fun, did not realize that trail was even there.

Then we went out for another ride on the road bikes with the wife's new bike - another Giant, a LIV Amiti. Stopped at our favorite tap-room for a couple of craft beers, and then home on the Santa Ana River bike trail - a paved bike path. Very nice!

I had some time early Sunday so went out for another loop, this time to see how fast I could do it. I had noticed how much suspension travel I had been using based on where the seal-wipers cleared the dust on the shock shaft and fork legs. The rear was perfect - using all the travel, but the fronts there was just 4-1/2" or about 117mm of travel used. So I took another 5psi out of the fork leg and that got me another inch of travel! Just 5psi made the difference. There is a chart-sticker on the fork leg, and I am at the bottom of the range for my weight. Maybe I'm not jumping high enough! LOL

So the Sunday hotlap took 53 minutes for 12miles, 13mph average, cadence 35, elevation 1800ft, max speed 28. Oh dear that's fast on a bike! At least for me it is. Sure was fun though, the bike is just fantastic.

Downtown Los Angeles on the horizon, Coyote Hills Golf Course in the foreground:

Palo Verdes Peninsula:

Looking south over Orange County, Cleveland Mountains in the background:

UGH you guys with the green grass and warm weather are bumming me out! LOL...
Here is me Saturday! I didn't get very far!

Attachments

• trail.JPG
    trail.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 267
My Rocket saddle came today - it is awesome. It's their thickest one, and none too soft. This is the wide version based on my body measurements. I was surprised, I got a skinny butt. LOL

I added a cateye quick cycle computer as well - so I have instant speed and distance. The RideControl app is fine, but I don't want my smartphone perched up on the bars, so it goes in my pocket.

The WTB Rocket is a great saddle... The WTB Silverado has been my go-to for years. ;)

I was a bit surprised that Giant did not include a display, but you found a clean solution.

I was a bit surprised that Giant did not include a display, but you found a clean solution.

Giant had a display in 2018 on their ( my) full e pro and it was widely criticised by the media because it wasn't " stealth" enough. If you want one, the evo screen can apparently be fitted to later model bikes

The evo screen is great - you can display 1 large numerical factor eg speed / heart rate / distance ( speed for me) , on the left it shows power mode, down the bottom you can select / scroll through cadence, range, distance, time. Plus there is a read out of % battery remaining ( real % , not just how many bars) . As of 2019 it also includes a torque output bar down the bottom - originally it was 4/5 bars but now it goes right across the screen and is ? 9 bars?

Down sides

1 the bar brackets are relatively narrow so you are limited to normal head-stems

2 the original 2018 version was far from waterproof - so the screen would mist up then eventually the bike would randomly turn on / off . Replaced under warranty by a newer better and fully waterproof version which was then replaced again for now logical reason when my motor was upgraded.

Attachments

• 334E279A-944C-456A-B11E-A9627B1F8017.jpeg
    334E279A-944C-456A-B11E-A9627B1F8017.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
My Rocket saddle came today - it is awesome.
How strange my Specialized Myth Sport saddle looks almost identical... 🤔

This is rather a norm than an exception. Specialized Turbo Levo and Kenevo come without the display either. It not only makes them look more stealthy; many mountain cyclists prefer to keep the cockpit clean since the display might be damaged and they don't have time to consult the display on a technical ride. There is the optional wireless TCD display for users of Levos and Kenevos. They can use their smartphone as well. All similar to the Chris' Giant.

Last edited:
Found this today on EMTBForums.com:

Found this today on EMTBForums.com:

Good review actually. I like how Giant has tuned the software for the motor with it's Synchdrive Pro, but not so sure, despite the simplicity, on the RideControl One panel. I prefer an actual screen, but Giant partially makes up for it with the RideControl App. Cool how it lets you manage the battery by controlling the motor power if you plan a route. I like tech like that.

This bike should keep you happy for quite awhile @Browneye

Good review actually. I like how Giant has tuned the software for the motor with it's Synchdrive Pro, but not so sure, despite the simplicity, on the RideControl One panel. I prefer an actual screen, but Giant partially makes up for it with the RideControl App. Cool how it lets you manage the battery by controlling the motor power if you plan a route. I like tech like that.

This bike should keep you happy for quite awhile @Browneye

Frankly, it has been a revelation. Way more than I had anticipated. This has opened up a whole new world I have been unaware of. It is beyond my wildest dreams. Like dirtbike heaven, I've come to be laid to rest. 🤣
Making new friends too. And my youngest kid, Nick is 24, wants to try one, another beer drinking buddy that likes the athletics of it, I'll take them out on a borrowed bike from the dealer so they can see what it's about. The local shop does group rides Monday nights, but I need to wait 'till it stays light later cuz I can't see at night.

The most fun you can have with your clothes on. :cool:
The term 'cathartic' comes to mind.

Last edited:
@Browneye, is your wife happy with the Amiti? Care to post some pics?
I deeply regret LIV bikes have no dealership in Poland with the huge presence of Giant at the same time. I mean, the Giant LBS don't sell LIV bikes here.

@Browneye, is your wife happy with the Amiti? Care to post some pics?
I deeply regret LIV bikes have no dealership in Poland with the huge presence of Giant at the same time. I mean, the Giant LBS don't sell LIV bikes here.

She loves it. We may need to raise the bars a little more, still getting some neck and wrist pressure, but may simply need to get more used to it. I'm going to 'forget' to order a stem for a bit, let her ride it some more, see if she keeps complaining. There's some advantage to a better stance, and she's been working out otherwise, so more core strength. She also gets neck pain anyway, from too much time on the phone and boobs that are too big. LOL We'll see.

Otherwise it's really a nice bike, super easy to ride, very smooth. She says it's a bit more of a workout cuz you HAVE to pedal for it to go. Her hub-drive had a throttle, so she could just sit there and go. IMO this is a much better bike solution. Really, it rides just like my Explore.

In fact, it turns out it is an EXACT sister-bike to my Explore. I didn't remember or realize the Explore came in a step-thru, but low and behold the same bike is the Amiti, just a nicer color. And I still don't know how the 'Amiti' is pronounced - am-a-tee, or am-iti. [shrug]. Why did they give it such a stupid name? 🤣 Maybe it's a take-off of amity, like friendship, friendly, etc.

If you wanted the same bike from Giant, it's the Explore step-thru. IMHO it's a killer value. If you REALLY wanted fenders and stuff they're pretty inexpensive and easy to add - the mounting points and tangs are all there. As a matter of fact, I think the E+0 or E+1 you can get in Europe comes with all the touring stuff - lights and horn, fenders, etc.

I posted a report here, on my other thread: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...iew-o-comments-o-q-a.30857/page-3#post-255135

2019 Amiti:
MY19-Amiti-E+-2_Color-B_retouch_WEB-jpg.jpg

2020 Explore E+4 Step-Thru:
MY20ExploreE+4STA_ColorA.jpg

Excellent - thanks!!

Wow, that's a clean looking bike! How many US dollars is $12,499? Ouch! LOL

I'll bet your Giant dealer could/would order a LIV for you if you really wanted one. They come from the same place.

So now I've become a Giant fanboi - I think they make really nice bikes for a really good price point. I've owned Trek and Specialized as well, like them too. But for this ebike thing, I really like what they're doing.
I do think Specialized has a bit of an edge on design though, they offer a little more elegant option. The Giant is more utility, but certainly not cheaped-out.

The WTB Rocket is a great saddle... The WTB Silverado has been my go-to for years. ;)

That is what I was thinking also. I opted for a GPS unit purchased from E-bay to obtain actual MPH to ensure a "true" reading while using the Speedclip. I also received confirmation that a wireless cycle computer may have a hiccup from time to time due to E-bike electronics interference.

Back