eMTB Options For 2024

Magical ride today, tight and technical natural terrain through some local dry forrest.

I can't figure out if they moved these rocks to build a ramp or if it's natural.

9C6BE0F0-424B-4AC4-B1AF-A3D0907E076D.jpeg

These native grass trees used to be called black boys - the trunks take hundreds of years to grow so get charred by several fires during that time. Fire triggers growth of the seed pods.

9899F244-5300-4CD1-AAFC-66BBEEE386B4.jpeg

They're going to take a while to clear with the travel chainsaw!

A couple of questions for the brains trust here... I've been dipping my toe into MTBing the last month or so. Never done any since I was banging around the reserves as a kid on my rigid hybrid but I'm really enjoying it. I ride an Explore that looks a lot like the image below (yes, complete with fenders, rack and lights). It's classed as an 'adventure bike', whatever that is, so more suited to trekking and light gravel. The front shocks are RST Vivair's. They're air shocks but only have 60mm of travel.

1632866062502.jpeg

1. Am I going to destroy my bike if I step up the single trail riding? I'm very green so to date I'm not hitting the technical trails. At the roughest I'm dropping down the odd small rock or root and getting very insubstantial air off jumps. I could strip the fenders and rack off but I think the front light is staying - it's internally cabled. I can see the vibrations and impacts taking a toll over time as things loosen. I'm limiting myself to more flowing firetrails on this bike for now.
  2. I'm toying with the idea of a bargain UNPOWERED FS bike. Sacre bleu! I said I'd never buy an unpowered bike again, but here we are. The Polygon Siskiu D7 caught my eye for AU$2.5k. I can feel I'm too timid with my ebike on the tracks - 1) it's my commuter, 2) I really like it, 3) I want to hang on to it for years, 4) and I don't want to trash it. Something to learn, crash and abuse is starting to make sense in my mind. Can you go back to unpowered bikes though? I see virtually everyone else in the local bike park on unpowered MTB's, I'm still reasonably fit so figure I should probably be able to hack it too, but curious on thoughts here. Local parks have level to gradually descending runs with about 50 - 70m climbs to reset. Any other models good for a beginner?
There is the option of selling my bike (purchased for $4k, sell for maybe $2.5k - 3), but that's still close to a $4-5k outlay for a new eMTB. Yes, I confess I've been looking. If I went that route would probably settle on something like a Merida Sixty 500. I just can't justify that purchase cost to myself right now though. Plus there's going to be compromises kitting it out to do double duty as my 9-5 commuter (rack, fenders, puncture resistant tyres).

I can't outright buy a second FS ebike. Not yet anyway! Any other thoughts or advice on my situation?

They're going to take a while to clear with the travel chainsaw!

A couple of questions for the brains trust here... I've been dipping my toe into MTBing the last month or so. Never done any since I was banging around the reserves as a kid on my rigid hybrid but I'm really enjoying it. I ride an Explore that looks a lot like the image below (yes, complete with fenders, rack and lights). It's classed as an 'adventure bike', whatever that is, so more suited to trekking and light gravel. The front shocks are RST Vivair's. They're air shocks but only have 60mm of travel.

View attachment 101455
  1. Am I going to destroy my bike if I step up the single trail riding? I'm very green so to date I'm not hitting the technical trails. At the roughest I'm dropping down the odd small rock or root and getting very insubstantial air off jumps. I could strip the fenders and rack off but I think the front light is staying - it's internally cabled. I can see the vibrations and impacts taking a toll over time as things loosen. I'm limiting myself to more flowing firetrails on this bike for now.
  2. I'm toying with the idea of a bargain UNPOWERED FS bike. Sacre bleu! I said I'd never buy an unpowered bike again, but here we are. The Polygon Siskiu D7 caught my eye for AU$2.5k. I can feel I'm too timid with my ebike on the tracks - 1) it's my commuter, 2) I really like it, 3) I want to hang on to it for years, 4) and I don't want to trash it. Something to learn, crash and abuse is starting to make sense in my mind. Can you go back to unpowered bikes though? I see virtually everyone else in the local bike park on unpowered MTB's, I'm still reasonably fit so figure I should probably be able to hack it too, but curious on thoughts here. Local parks have level to gradually descending runs with about 50 - 70m climbs to reset. Any other models good for a beginner?
There is the option of selling my bike (purchased for $4k, sell for maybe $2.5k - 3), but that's still close to a $4-5k outlay for a new eMTB. Yes, I confess I've been looking. If I went that route would probably settle on something like a Merida Sixty 500. I just can't justify that purchase cost to myself right now though. Plus there's going to be compromises kitting it out to do double duty as my 9-5 commuter (rack, fenders, puncture resistant tyres).

I can't outright buy a second FS ebike. Not yet anyway! Any other thoughts or advice on my situation?

Where are you based ? ( trying to work out if I can take you out to try all those options for a day, I'm in gippsland, victoria), My fleet is a levo sl, giant full e pro, scott genius 940, norco optic a7.2 , an old giant trance, and a marin hard tail - so 2 x ds emtb, an enduro ds mebike, 2 x trail ds mebikes, and a hardtail. ( 3 teenage kids)

Back in 2017 I bought myself a norco optic A7.2 , it's similar spec / slightly more capable than the polygon. I hated it, and rarely ride it ( the kids love it) . Admittedly I was coming off an old but high end giant trance..... but the recon forks are sticky , the bike ended up being so heavy it was a mongrel to ride uphill, and the lower quality components all failed within a couple of years ( eg I've just replaced the front wheel and will be upgrading the forks this week because my 12 yo is pushing it too hard) . You end up spending big on the lower spec bikes over time. Plus read the warranty fine print with bicyclesonline - YOU pay to post the bike back when it arrives faulty.

Personally, at that budget I'd get a better spec hardtail - lighter, more responsive to learn on etc. If you could stretch those $ a bit further, have a really good look at eg a scott genius or spark - the remote suspension switch makes them viable for climbing . Or perhaps a giant trance if you can find one - they have llvely geometry and are reasonable climbing bikes.

Have you considered chasing a giant talon? There are still a few around in stores, I think the batteries are cross compatible with your roam and so is the motor - so you have spares for when they go beyond the warranty period, plus the ability to carry a spare battery on long rides.

You will learn skills quicker on a light regular bike, but you will ride a LOT more on an emtb.

Where are you based ? ( trying to work out if I can take you out to try all those options for a day, I'm in gippsland, victoria), My fleet is a levo sl, giant full e pro, scott genius 940, norco optic a7.2 , an old giant trance, and a marin hard tail - so 2 x ds emtb, an enduro ds mebike, 2 x trail ds mebikes, and a hardtail. ( 3 teenage kids)

Back in 2017 I bought myself a norco optic A7.2 , it's similar spec / slightly more capable than the polygon. I hated it, and rarely ride it ( the kids love it) . Admittedly I was coming off an old but high end giant trance..... but the recon forks are sticky , the bike ended up being so heavy it was a mongrel to ride uphill, and the lower quality components all failed within a couple of years ( eg I've just replaced the front wheel and will be upgrading the forks this week because my 12 yo is pushing it too hard) . You end up spending big on the lower spec bikes over time. Plus read the warranty fine print with bicyclesonline - YOU pay to post the bike back when it arrives faulty.

Personally, at that budget I'd get a better spec hardtail - lighter, more responsive to learn on etc. If you could stretch those $ a bit further, have a really good look at eg a scott genius or spark - the remote suspension switch makes them viable for climbing . Or perhaps a giant trance if you can find one - they have llvely geometry and are reasonable climbing bikes.

Have you considered chasing a giant talon? There are still a few around in stores, I think the batteries are cross compatible with your roam and so is the motor - so you have spares for when they go beyond the warranty period, plus the ability to carry a spare battery on long rides.

You will learn skills quicker on a light regular bike, but you will ride a LOT more on an emtb.
Thank you! You've given me much to consider. I'm in Newcastle, so unfortunately don't think we'll be crossing paths anytime soon. That's quite the fleet. Is the Levo the go-to these days, or do you still make time for the others on occasion?

I take your point about not throwing good money after bad. And I do appreciate having something of a relationship with my LBS, mixed as it has been of late.

A hardtail is an interesting option. Is there a reasonable non-electric hardtail you'd recommend that sits under that $2.5k pricetag of the Polygon? Do people add suspension seatposts to edge a little closer to that FS feel, or just no?

It also puts a basic hardtail eMTB nearly in range too. The Talon appears to use the same side-mount battery as my Explore, so that's a plus. Is a basic eMTB going to be able to take much more abuse than the Explore though? I see a little more clearance at the base, plus the extra 40mm shock travel (I do bottom out from time to time), the chunky tyres and the lack of accessories to rattle around.

I understand my predicament here. If I buy an unpowered hardtail I can save some cash and bash it around, but I'm less likely to want to go riding because of the effort. If I buy an unpowered FS it's going to be low-spec with my budget, and again with the effort. If I buy an entry level eHardtail then I'll zip back up the hills but am I buying something significantly more capable than my current ride? I honestly don't know. Plus it's creeping past the budget.

I went for a ride at lunch today before a few days of rain and think I have my sweet spot dialed in with the Explore. It's quite happy on firetrails and flow tracks. I did this run today and really enjoyed it - just enough excitement with the jumps, fun speed, lots of space, no jarring hits (not my video):

I'll hunt down some more of these sorts of trails and if I feel I'm missing out on the rougher stuff I'll be sure to be back for recommendations!

The levo is very much my go to bike, although I still ride the full epro on days where my 16 yo daughter needs the levo - if we're putting in a huge x country day with lots of elevation. I occasionally steal her scott genius for shuttle assisted days - ie if I know there isn't going to be any climbing.

In that video , you're managing jumps that are approaching the limit of your giant. A fathom will be more comfortable - more fork travel , wider bars, more raked out steering so stable when you land, and more suitable tyres. Having said that, you might want to consider something even more capable because if you can jump an explorer you'll be surprised at what you are comfortable on a dedicated emtb!

As for hard tails, the real question is what is in stock in your size in your area? Compare the spec on this Norco torrent https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/hardtail-mountain-bikes/norco/nsw/gordon/torrent-ht-s2/111040617. You get much better forks, 4 piston brakes, a down hill focussed geometry so it'll be capable of double black runs if you are. It's a couple of kg lighter and being a hardtail you don't lose power to pedal bob. Unfortunately most of the ds bikes under $4500 have primitive rear shocks / linkages so you lose pedal power . You could even buy something around the $1500 mark like a giant xtc and consider it disposable - spend 2 years deciding if mtb riding is for you? Perhaps invest the extra $ in a few days hiring some ds bikes, emtb etc? Take a summer holiday at Thredbo and hire a different bike each day / finish with a lift assisted day on an enduro ds bike.....and then next year when the bottom falls out of the market score a great second hand emtb :) . Hiring bikes is a really good investment - $75 for a day on a basic hardtail, $100 on a decent ds memtb, then $150 on a dsemtb. That's half what you waste if you discover a basic fork wasn't good enough.

Champion! Thanks for all the advice, that's brilliant. I'll disappear into a mountain of research and pop back up here if I ever settle on a purchase. And hire a bike or three in the meantime.

Jumping an Explore? You can jump anything with wheels!

Holy smokes it's quiet around here...hope everybody is enjoying their summer with lots of mountain biking.
I haven't been getting out as much as I would like to, but some trips planned for fall - maybe even another trek to Arizona. The winters are fantastic there.

Speaking of 'trek', Singletracks had a story on the FUEL for 2022 - yeah, it's not a ebike, but the cost is right up there with an eMTB - up to eleven grand? Really??
Rest of the story here if there's interest: https://www.singletracks.com/?p=602...utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=2021-10-07

TopFuel98XT_A_Portrait-1170x878.png

I've been riding with super fit guys on trek fuels lately - one rides a 21 carbon , the other just picked up a 22 alloy. I'd swear the 22 had 29 er wheels?

The guy on the carbon is lightening fast through x country trails , he pulls 1/2 a bike length per corner on me so I need to pedal the downhills just to keep up. I'm not sure if its the 27.5 wheels, shorter suspension, of just that he is significantly better than me. Probably all of the above.

Nice bikes, but they seem expensive for what you get - the alloy cost double what we paid for sprog 1's scott genius in 2019. Very similar spec level, and I can confirm the same rider was faster on her giant than on his 22 trek fuel!

So I'm thinking more seriously about adding some MTB capability to the stable. Curious if any of the options below stand out to the brains trust here:

1) Buy a quality sub-$3k unpowered hardtail bomber, like a Canyon Stoic 4 (or a Stoic 3 for a budget option). Keep my Giant Explore as the solid, reliable commuter it is.

2) Buy a ~$3k budget unpowered DS bike, such as the Norco Fluid FS2. Keep the Explore

3) Buy a budget e-Hardtail, such as the Giant Talon (battery compatible with my Explore, as @PDoz noted), Cube Reaction or XDS S-Electro (if such a thing still exists). Keep the Explore

4) Sell the Explore and buy an entry level DS eMTB, such as the very tidy looking Merida e-One Forty 500. Kit the MTB out with easy to remove fenders and rack for the daily commute. I've managed to get my old BH Evo Cross limping along again, so that's an option for when the primary bike was in the shop getting what I assume is going to be more regular servicing.

Pros and cons to each:
1) and 2) not sure how enthusiastically I'd be hitting the trails without a motor, though my friends with shiny new Trek Rail's on order have offered to tow me around 😄. These would be fun, capable bikes that I can thrash over the next few years and see if this MTB malarkey sticks.
3) I dunno how much abuse those cheap e-hardtails will cop, plus not sure if it'll be a dramatically different riding experience to my Explore (the Giant and Cube only offer an extra 40mm of suspension travel). Still, they'd drag my behind up the trails (no such thing as chairlifts in my neck of the woods) and could resell reasonably well after a couple of years.
I like the idea of 4) the most, but it's also the biggest outlay ($4-4.5k out of pocket depending on what the Explore sold for - that'll take some convincing with the other financial stakeholder!). A DS commuter has some appeal too: for the added comfort, dropper, and 20% better battery range.

None of these option take into account stock availability. Speaking to my Giant dealer today they mentioned wait times on DS e-MTB's all the way out to May 2022. They're not even taking deposits at the moment. Merida were early next year.

Back