eMTB Options For 2024

No it doesn't.
I need to do a complete drivetrain cleaning, but we have your temps here, and at +30C in my uninsulated garage,
I'm limiting my maintenance work until this heat spell disappears and we return to Canadian weather.

I am stealing this from FB:
"Dear Arizona, Thank you for the free trial. We are not interested in your weather at this time. Please cancel our subscription."

If it's any consolation, yesterday was a very pleasant 18 degrees
16E14A8A-8074-46E6-9D54-4B87315AA897.jpeg

she vs HE results are in.....

On a technical 9 km x country loop I was using 250 % assistance on the giant to match sprogette uphill with 100% on the sl. Not a chance in hell of matching her down hill !!! The sl used less than 10% of its 360 wh power, giant used 30% of its 500 wh ! ( it's a very technical loop)

We then did some shuttle runs - I used the sl down, she was on her genius. I then used the giant to get back up for the car . The SL is so much more capable down hill. We did a double black diamond run - some big rock drops that I wouldn't even consider on the giant , the SL ate it up! It's amazingly easy to loft it off drops, and it just sucks up impacts on landing.

I'm going to try and get fit enough to just use the sl for everything and sell the giant - it'll be dangerous riding the giant once I get used to what the sl can do!

she vs HE results are in.....

On a technical 9 km x country loop I was using 250 % assistance on the giant to match sprogette uphill with 100% on the sl. Not a chance in hell of matching her down hill !!! The sl used less than 10% of its 360 wh power, giant used 30% of its 500 wh ! ( it's a very technical loop)

We then did some shuttle runs - I used the sl down, she was on her genius. I then used the giant to get back up for the car . The SL is so much more capable down hill. We did a double black diamond run - some big rock drops that I wouldn't even consider on the giant , the SL ate it up! It's amazingly easy to loft it off drops, and it just sucks up impacts on landing.

I'm going to try and get fit enough to just use the sl for everything and sell the giant - it'll be dangerous riding the giant once I get used to what the sl can do!
Lofty goal approved! :cool:

Levo SL is a monster e-bike... I saw it at Specialized Warsaw today. The alloy version seems to weigh some 21 kg?!

Levo SL is a monster e-bike... I saw it at Specialized Warsaw today. The alloy version seems to weigh some 21 kg?!

Are you sure that wasn't a full power levo? (22 kg , I think). A mate might be getting a 2020 ex demo at a very good price - the motor should have 4 years warranty, he just needs to decide if he can live in fear whilst waiting for it to die and be replaced with the more reliable 2021 motor.

Alu sl comes in around 19 kg once you have set it up tubeless.
My carbon is 18 kg , although that'll drop to 17.6 when I convert it to 11 sp with the xt spares I already had. ( when the nx 12 sp wears out) .

I might have an option on some carbon wheels with rocket rob tyres to use for x country days - that'd get the bike below 17 kg. Before bothering, I'll try fitting my mates carbon wheels from his trance advanced to see if I can notice the difference - apparently they feel more precise ? I have mixed feelings, preferring alloy for simplicity, but LOVING the ride from this carbon frame

Are you sure that wasn't a full power levo
The painted model name could not lie 🤔 I asked the manager whether the weight was close to 18 kg, to which he smiled and said it was closer to 21 (and added the CF version was lighter). I tried to lift the bike with one hand and groaned. Then I tried to lift the "full" Levo and gave up 😁

Taken into account I had ridden up there on my Vado SL, I made sure I didn't need or want an e-MTB anymore. Let my Trance E+ bring joy to Jacek, and he loves the Monster 🙂

Last edited:
The fitness challenge begins.... early morning wander - 8.65 km, elevation 365 m in 4.9 k. then straight down. The evil trail designers run the last km up at a 17 % , and the switch backs are just a little too tight to negotiate without lofting the front / swinging it around. The bike only used 106 wh , so should easilly be able to manage 1200 m elevation on the base battery. Interestingly, the app tells me average support was 136% - I thought thus thing only gave 100% ?

0C7FF45D-FF68-4B3A-8E2E-96832963FF17.jpeg

Back