EM3ev explains how BBSxx series motors handle PAS

Yup it can definitely be done without much concern even though everyone, myself included, warns about it.
I'd NEVER suggest a BBS02 user EVEN do throttle starts without having shifted as one would riding an acoustic. With my BBS01 7 speed taking off in 1st or second hasn't bitten me.

I'd NEVER suggest a BBS02 user EVEN do throttle starts without having shifted as one would riding an acoustic. With my BBS01 7 speed taking off in 1st or second hasn't bitten me.
Fair enough. I've stayed away from 02's, personally and stuck with the BBSHD. Does this include the BBS02s with the upgraded mosfets that are supposed to be capable of safely handling 750-1000w? i.e. the Luna (and IIRC Cali Ebike) motors?

The BBS02 is a great motor. However if they are lugged they overheat. Use the throttle and take off from a dead stop without shifting they will fail. That said my BBS02 motors have no issues in 7 years. I ride them like I ride an acoustic.

Fair enough. I've stayed away from 02's, personally and stuck with the BBSHD. Does this include the BBS02s with the upgraded mosfets that are supposed to be capable of safely handling 750-1000w? i.e. the Luna (and IIRC Cali Ebike) motors?
Not that I do it often or sustained, but I have throttled to start rolling in as high as 5th gear (44t - 17t) with the BBS02B without issue. If memory serves, I think it typically draws about 10a - 12a. I do have my global amp set to 20a and the throttle set to feather in gently starting at 5%
It's either my knees or the controller... and I think I can more easily replace the controller. Though if the controller fails far out on a ride... it may require both 🙃

Not that I do it often or sustained, but I have throttled to start rolling in as high as 5th gear (44t - 17t) with the BBS02B without issue. If memory serves, I think it typically draws about 10a - 12a. I do have my global amp set to 20a and the throttle set to feather in gently starting at 5%
It's either my knees or the controller... and I think I can more easily replace the controller. Though if the controller fails far out on a ride... it may require both 🙃
lol.... controllers can be replaced. I think a good indicator is if you throttle up and feel a noticeable amount of acceleration it will be ok. On the contrary if you throttle up and the acceleration is sluggish or nil all that power is being transformed to heat!

I'm fairly new to this Bafang mid-drive game, but from the experience of many as viewed on these forums, a good deal of the "death by electric boogeyman" in the earlier days of the BBS01 and 02 may not be as huge as it once was. I'm not promoting the constant, abusive flogging of a newer BBS02, but they do seem open to a little more gnar than they used to be.

I recently converted a very good quality full suspension MTB with a BBSHD for real, honest-to-gosh mountain biking where I'm on and off the pedals and not always having the luxury and/or gumption to be johnny-on-the-spot for my gear selection. I'm also on the thumb throttle occasionally in a rock garden or the start-from-stop on a steep trail climb where I need to get clipped into the pedals. Over a little time, I've been able to glance down at the 500C display to see the watt numbers, and this thing has never pushed toward the HD's limit...and wouldn't have done so with a BBS02 model.

Granted, these forums are full of riders and operators of all kinds of use and application. My mountain biking...even with a little abuse...is probably no comparison to a rider starting on a long uphill with a heavily laden cargo/utility bike of some kind. I'm seeing all kinds of types of rigs that mid-drive and hub motors are being applied to. It's a big field and it would take a huge blanket to cover them all with specific directions and advice. I'm getting comfortable enough with seeing my power needs that I'm thinking of converting my other high quality MTB with a BBS02 instead of another BBSHD.

I've been running with the EM3ev programming since 2014. But what do I know?🥱
I used a good bit of that program, and his detailed description of each element allowed me to understand how those elements worked to make some of my own tweaks. Good stuff.

Back