Electronic Shifting Options--any advice, experience?

GuruUno

I've got a diagnosis of De Quervain's tenosynovitis
(description) - https://www.dd-clinic.com/de-quervains-tenosynovitis/

The trigger shifter on the Trek SuperCommuter is the cause, as well as my age.
Did my reading and research so the next hurdle is: What to do

Has anyone considered electronic shifting?
Has anyone done it?
What is the absolute best, why to do, why not?
Or am I in a situation that has limited solutions?

This system is about the cheapest entry into electronic shifting as it adapts to your conventional derailleur: https://www.archercomponents.com

If you check around it is also rated well for function and durability. Otherwise you will have to spend twice or more as much.

Very interesting. I've never even heard of let alone consider anything like this. Given the fact that I've got a very expensive e-bike, the fact that it is an e-bike, and I'm a perfectionist, before I do anything.....is the the best there is? Forget the cost, it's about all the things that matter; long term proven track record, previous users experiences, alternate competitors better or worse, etc., etc. Hopefully you'll see where I'm going with this. After reaching 5,000 miles in 1-1/2 years, the last thing I want to do is create a freakinstine problem...so although this looks extremely promising, what other options exist, and which products have a long term proven record, if known? Most importantly, anyone got any experience with any e-bike installs? I'll contact archercomponents directly for their input, but also putting it out here for alternate opinions, experiences and feedback.

Not knowing if your current system is derailleur or IGH based here are the options for bespoke systems:

Derailleur:

Shimano Di2
SRAM Red eTap

IGH:

Nuvinci Harmony automatic
Shimano Alfine Di2
Rohloff E-14

The only one I have had experience with is the IGH Di2 and was less than pleased with the experience as it failed within the first 100 miles and even up to to the point of failure it wasn't meeting my expectations especially for how much it cost. There are members here with the Rohloff E-14 and with the Derailleur based Di2 systems that may speak up about their experiences. The SRAM system is relatively new to the market but has been getting high marks because it is wireless as opposed to the fragile wiring necessary for the Shimano system.

That said if I was to go back to electronic shifting I would go with the archer as it is also wireless....

These are the specifications for the SuperCommuter:

Drivetrain

ShiftersShimano SLX M7000, 11 speed

Rear derailleurShimano SLX M7000, Shadow Plus

CrankMiranda Delta, 20T w/chainguard

CassetteShimano SLX M7000, 11-42, 11 speed

ChainShimano HG60

Looks like the Archer system would be the way to go (at least for a good start) with resolving your shifting issues. I first saw this when it was introduced and thought it was very solid IMO. Good luck with your choice!

For a flat bar bike your derailleur based options then are the Eagle AXS SRAM or the Shimano Di2. Either of which would make your current derailleur and shifters obsolete. The Archer system would integrate easily with the rear derailleur/cassette/chain you have.

When I said cheaper before I wouldn't equate that with quality as it does get high ratings from the reviews I have read. It is for sure the less expensive option however.

You could also go with an IGH system as mentioned above but that adds another layer of complexity and need for a new wheel build etc..

Got the ARCHER D1x today and am sending it back. JUNK, GARBAGE, POOR CONSTRUCTION, Install booklet lacking specific like this is part a, it looks like this and it is used for that and it goes there. This is part b, and so forth.
The writer must think we all have the same level of knowledge of verbiage used to describe parts and their use, location and understand from the minimal videos, brief directions, etc.
I won't get into too deep, but I built houses for 25 years, remodel them, owned 76 cars, truck and motorcycles, I am mechanically inclined to a 8.5 to 9.0 if you wanted to use a number.
Bottom line I'd not recommend this product, I'd see if someone els has a more stable, well built and proven unit.
A 2 year+ company is not going to win the consumer over with a cheap clone that is like an Ikea toy.
A bag of parts with no description for all of them, words the average person does not know who to understand what they mean and what to do with.
Initially Archer said "you don't need your local bike shop to do this, you can:....well I can't, and I'm pretty damn good at stuff like this.
I would have fear using this device long term.
Just popping off the rubber cover is a 1 hour + fail to get it back on, with or without silicone.
I could see me on the road if I HAD TO FOR WHATEVER REASON DO SOMETHING AND NOT GET THE COVER ON. BAD DESIGN, BAD DESIGN!!!
PHOTOS ATTACHED

Attachments

• IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: JRA
I apologize for the newbee question. I've googled electronic gear shifter and SRAM, but still don't know if the electronic system will change gears even when you are not peddling? I was thinking the other day when I was stopped at a red light (and forgot to gear down) how good it would be if I could change gears without peddling. Is this possible?

I apologize for the newbee question. I've googled electronic gear shifter and SRAM, but still don't know if the electronic system will change gears even when you are not peddling? I was thinking the other day when I was stopped at a red light (and forgot to gear down) how good it would be if I could change gears without peddling. Is this possible?

Only with the Di2 IGH and Rolhoff E-14 systems. A derailleur based system needs to be active in order to shift.

And to the OP thanks for the report, certainly doesn't jibe with the ones I have read but sure seems based on your experience that it is not a product to get involved with. Thanks for taking one for the team.

That is the very reason I love my Shimano Nexus 8 speed internal geared hub on my Gazelle Arroyo. It is not electronic, but can be shifted into any gear when not pedaling … even when stopped. It also gets rid of the awkward derailleur hanging down which always seemed to be in the way when loading the bike on the bike rack.

This is a really disappointing outcome with the Archer system. They certainly had me fooled to think it was a reliable system. I have not seen any competitors out there for this type of product. Does not look very impressive at all. Cannot blame you for returning and not looking back on this one. Hope you find some better solutions for your derailleur. Thanks for sharing.

These are the specifications for the SuperCommuter:

Drivetrain

ShiftersShimano SLX M7000, 11 speed

Rear derailleurShimano SLX M7000, Shadow Plus

CrankMiranda Delta, 20T w/chainguard

CassetteShimano SLX M7000, 11-42, 11 speed

ChainShimano HG60

Either you could go with Shimano XTR Di2 or Rohloff E14

XTR di2 would be a simple plug n play on your Trek and would work well.

it is possible to retrofit your Trek with the Rohloff E14. See this article here: https://www.cyclemonkey.com/blog/tech-talk-retrofit-your-e-bike-rohloff-e-14-electronic-shifting

1557673148734.png

Wow! Now THAT'S a system!
Before I clean up the drool, and get overly excited, any ballpark on expected cost of materials + labor?

OK, bit I see it being closer to $3,000 with all required parts, correct me if I am wrong.
---------------
Necessary parts:
  • Bosch Intuvia Display Unit ($190 on e-Bay, (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) )
  • (Also need display holder Bosch Intuvia and Nyon Display Holder – 1500mm cable ) $44
  • Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14 ($1,802 https://www.cyclemonkey.com/hubs/rohloff-speedhub-50014-disc-brake-hub-1 )
  • E-14 Parts Kit (dealers can order here)
  • Switch Unit (handlebar-mounted shifter)
  • DC/DC-CAN Converter
  • Extension/Connection Cable (400-1000mm lengths available)
  • Shifter Unit (SPEEDHUB-mounted gear mech)
  • Bosch eShift Y-Cable (various options available depending on battery type & cable length required)
  • Not really sure of all the parts costs + install
Anyone in NJ/NJ done this to try before I buy?

Or do I fly to California to Cycle Monkey first?

Got the ARCHER D1x today and am sending it back. JUNK, GARBAGE, POOR CONSTRUCTION, Install booklet lacking specific like this is part a, it looks like this and it is used for that and it goes there. This is part b, and so forth.
The writer must think we all have the same level of knowledge of verbiage used to describe parts and their use, location and understand from the minimal videos, brief directions, etc.
I won't get into too deep, but I built houses for 25 years, remodel them, owned 76 cars, truck and motorcycles, I am mechanically inclined to a 8.5 to 9.0 if you wanted to use a number.
Bottom line I'd not recommend this product, I'd see if someone els has a more stable, well built and proven unit.
A 2 year+ company is not going to win the consumer over with a cheap clone that is like an Ikea toy.
A bag of parts with no description for all of them, words the average person does not know who to understand what they mean and what to do with.
Initially Archer said "you don't need your local bike shop to do this, you can:....well I can't, and I'm pretty damn good at stuff like this.
I would have fear using this device long term.
Just popping off the rubber cover is a 1 hour + fail to get it back on, with or without silicone.
I could see me on the road if I HAD TO FOR WHATEVER REASON DO SOMETHING AND NOT GET THE COVER ON. BAD DESIGN, BAD DESIGN!!!
PHOTOS ATTACHED
-------------------------------------------
AND, just as a follow-up, as to how any product SHOULD be described this is a PERFECT example as to how it is to be done (nothing to do about electronic shifters, but nonetheless, a very precise instruction video!!

Back