Electric Car thread

are they bringing the "ranchero" to aussie land? it looks like a conventional ute?

No, our ford ute market is dominated by the ranger , and until recently we didn't even have official f150 imports! Even the mighty falcon went out of production about 5 years ago.

We don't have any petrol utes left, no hybrids, and I think the only EV ute is a chinese ldv thing that was only built so they could advertise it https://www.ldvautomotive.com.au/ve...MI7f3i-NT-hAMV5aVmAh39FAxSEAAYASAAEgIgEvD_BwE

Our tax laws favoured recreational 4x4 dual cabs up until last year. A tradie or farmer could buy a new ute, instantly write it off on tax, then sell it privately ( or keep it as a home vehicle whilst driving a van for work....)

If you're in the market for a Tesla, now's the time.

Hertz is selling off a whole bunch of various models, some for as low as $21K. And the CEO has resigned. One of the articles says that maintenance and repair on Hertz's EV fleet ran much higher than on the ICE fleet, I would imagine due to the relative scarcity of parts.

I'm not an EV fan but I can see their usefulness in some situations. But I think Hertz may have gone overboard a couple of years ago into the EV mindset. I can recall when Hertz did something similar a couple of decades ago when they bought a fleet of Mustang Shelby cars but oftentimes the cars came back in poor condition.

EDIT: Plus apparently a $4K tax credit!

Good luck trying them out. I'm sure you'll love the torque and the quiet. Let us know how it goes!
They were gone by the time I called the dealership! Will have to delay for at least a week now til our trip is over...😁😁😁

1711330005456.png

Mythbusters for EVs

I will cross post this in the transition thread since they've got different readers as far as I can tell.
An interesting article, but it fails to mention three important EV negatives.

1 - lack of charger locations and finding one that isn't broken.
2 - How do we handle the many issues associated with large scale, long term blackouts, particularly in hurricane prone areas?
3 - high cost of repair, which causes customer dissatisfaction.

Yes, 1 and 3 will improve over time, but #2 will haunt us well into the future.

2 - How do we handle the many issues associated with large scale, long term blackouts, particularly in hurricane prone areas?

Both points 2 and 3 are likely to be long term issues really. People will handle blackouts as they do now ( by compliancy followed by panics) and maybe a fossil fuel generator. Trained mechanics and replacement proprietary parts may be an issue for a very long time. Adequate range and chargers can be solved ... in the metro areas, technically at least. Out here in the sticks , IDK.

Mythbusters for EVs

I will cross post this in the transition thread since they've got different readers as far as I can tell.
ended up reading a plastic recycling farce article a well,our big problem is too much of everything, big offenders(after digging through private dumps for years are plastics basically,imo glass doesnt hurt anything and paper will go away in an aerobic environment, metals tend to be recycled(if there is a profit to be made material will be recycled) bleach and detergent bottles, milk jugs last for decades thermo plastics like old tires hang around for centuries probably less than 10% of plastic gets recycled people like a young lady in africa have started cottage industries making things like paving tiles out of recycled plastic,more people like her couldnt hurt things, at least our passions tend to be recycled and recycleble.

no .4 the hate, the icers and the vigilantes,if i witnessed a vigilante unplugging a charger i would either tell them to mind their own business or wait till they left and plug it in again.

Maybe someone can answer my question regarding battery life in seldom used tools, automobiles, ebikes, snow blowers etc. The issue I have with electric equipment is the battery longevity. Say I intend to keep a car for 15-20 years and don't put many miles on it. I fear the battery pack will die in a few short years so the cost per mile will soar.

ended up reading a plastic recycling farce article a well,our big problem is too much of everything, big offenders(after digging through private dumps for years are plastics basically,imo glass doesnt hurt anything and paper will go away in an aerobic environment, metals tend to be recycled(if there is a profit to be made material will be recycled) bleach and detergent bottles, milk jugs last for decades thermo plastics like old tires hang around for centuries probably less than 10% of plastic gets recycled people like a young lady in africa have started cottage industries making things like paving tiles out of recycled plastic,more people like her couldnt hurt things, at least our passions tend to be recycled and recycleble.

no .4 the hate, the icers and the vigilantes,if i witnessed a vigilante unplugging a charger i would either tell them to mind their own business or wait till they left and plug it in again.
Plastic could be a miracle substance ... used for medical devices, construction materials that can last a century, etc. Instead we use it to bag garbage, cheap toys, and for one way packaging . BAH.

Maybe someone can answer my question regarding battery life in seldom used tools, automobiles, ebikes, snow blowers etc. The issue I have with electric equipment is the battery longevity. Say I intend to keep a car for 15-20 years and don't put many miles on it. I fear the battery pack will die in a few short years so the cost per mile will soar.
I'm no chemist, but I'm afraid you are correct. Self discharge is a real thing with most batteries. There are chemistries that don't have that issue, but I don't know where you can buy batteries like that.

Older battery chemistries, like NiCd and NiMh, were notorious for self discharge. Newer batteries, using lithium technology, are much better at holding a long term charge. The quality of battery construction also plays a part. Internal battery maintenance systems (BMS) in quality battery packs, can also make a significant improvement in charge retention. There are exceptions, but from my experience, in general, the more you pay for a battery, the longer it will last.

For example, I have a special use laptop which sits on the shelf for a year between uses. The OEM Lenovo battery is 9 years old and loses just 20% of it's capacity during a year of storage.

Some of my quality E-bike batteries, with Panasonic cells and BMS, sit unused for 6 months or more, and lose just 5% of their charge in that time. Three of them are 5 years old.

My DeWalt cordless tool batteries are the best at charge retention. They can sit unused for several months with no measurable loss of charge.

You will probably have to wait for EVs to become more widespread and have options like removable/replaceable batteries.

Current best case usage for EVs is local commuting with home/work charging or decent public infrastructure.

Older battery chemistries, like NiCd and NiMh, were notorious for self discharge. Newer batteries, using lithium technology, are much better at holding a long term charge. The quality of battery construction also plays a part. Internal battery maintenance systems (BMS) in quality battery packs, can also make a significant improvement in charge retention. There are exceptions, but from my experience, in general, the more you pay for a battery, the longer it will last.

For example, I have a special use laptop which sits on the shelf for a year between uses. The OEM Lenovo battery is 9 years old and loses just 20% of it's capacity during a year of storage.

Some of my quality E-bike batteries, with Panasonic cells and BMS, sit unused for 6 months or more, and lose just 5% of their charge in that time. Three of them are 5 years old.

My DeWalt cordless tool batteries are the best at charge retention. They can sit unused for several months with no measurable loss of charge.
Curious about how you determine SOC. Grin charger , voltmeter, anything better? I'm all ears ..

Curious about how you determine SOC. Grin charger , voltmeter, anything better? I'm all ears ..
Usually, I just use a quality voltmeter and an appropriate reference chart, such as this one:

1545991790982.png

For comparative purposes, it will give a reasonably accurate SOC.

Last edited:

my ryobis last well too,i acquired adpters and use them to power things like bike lights and other thingys.

I am looking to get a new car, my son and I were looking for a 74 plate order, I like the Audi Q4 Etron, he likes the amazing KIA Sportage GT S, we also looked at the Kia EV6, BMW ix1 and others, problem is there is so much tech now we cant agree or decide

Yeah, lots of flashy tech that may not work in a year on the new cars. A friend who sold cars said that the toys sell cars. BAH.

Back