Electric Bike company refusing to refund for a bike they can not supply

tonybug

Hi all, I ordered and paid for an electric bike from Reef Bikes Pty ltd, based in Sydney I believe.
I paid on 5th of July and was told delivery would be after 15th of July. I needed a bike to help with my rehab
after a knee replacement. When the bike or any communication did not arrive by the 17Th July I contacted the company who said deliveries would not be until the end of August. This was not acceptable to me so I bought a bike from a local shop and requested a full refund as Reef Bikes could not supply. They have refused to refund me and
will not correspond. This is unethical and an abuse of my consumer rights.I have alerted my credit card company as I believe their charging me and not refunding constitutes fraud. I have also lodgeg a complaint with the dept of fair trading. Do not deal with this company!

This seems to be a story I've seen a few times now. Not just Reef bikes, but basically on-line sellers. I suppose the pandemic has an impact so delays are understandable. But not delivering a bike and not providing a refund is not acceptable.

I don't think I'd ever buy anything from this company.

Very frustrating. Yes it’s a weird year for supply chains but they should at least communicate with you.
Glad you contacted your credit card provider.

Hi Guy's , just an update on my situation. I managed to get hold of George, the owner of Reef bikes. He is an arrogant person who basically (AND RUDELY) said i would not get a refund or if I did it would be minus a huge cancellation fee! Both actions illegal. I put pressure on my credit card company and also got my banking relationship manager to help speed up the charge-back. Great news, they have charged back against Reef Bikes and refunded me backdated to 5th July when I paid! Yesterday I received a follow up call from a lovely lady from NSW dept of fair trading to see how I was going. She was happy my CC card company has refunded me. She said Reef Bikes will not accept her calls and do not reply to her emails! Also Reef Bikes are on their watchlist as they have received other complaints. Lets hope they fine lovely George or take action against him and Reef Bikes. I urge anyone else who have had issues with reef Bikes to also log a complaint with NSW Dept of fair trading.

A frustrating experience. Glad your credit card provided a refund.

So which bike did you get? Maybe a photo?

A frustrating experience. Glad your credit card provided a refund.

So which bike did you get? Maybe a photo?
I bought a Vado turbo bike from a local supplier who let me ride it around for awhile so I’ve learnt a lesson - don’t buy expensive items unless you can see , touch and play with them . Also these guys have been in business for awhile and have a great reputation for good service with both their shops.

Glad it was resolved, and I'd like to commend the OP for a sensible and rational approach to the vendor, and to the members of these forums. Too many times lately members have posted threads with inflammatory titles lately.

I prefer the civil approach, and although I sympathize with their (you as well with Reef) predicaments, the rhetoric and attitude displayed by others has been sometimes beyond the pale.

Sign of the times I suppose.

Just my opinion. Enjoy the Vado!

Hi Guy's , just an update on my situation. I managed to get hold of George, the owner of Reef bikes. He is an arrogant person who basically (AND RUDELY) said i would not get a refund or if I did it would be minus a huge cancellation fee! Both actions illegal. I put pressure on my credit card company and also got my banking relationship manager to help speed up the charge-back. Great news, they have charged back against Reef Bikes and refunded me backdated to 5th July when I paid! Yesterday I received a follow up call from a lovely lady from NSW dept of fair trading to see how I was going. She was happy my CC card company has refunded me. She said Reef Bikes will not accept her calls and do not reply to her emails! Also Reef Bikes are on their watchlist as they have received other complaints. Lets hope they fine lovely George or take action against him and Reef Bikes. I urge anyone else who have had issues with reef Bikes to also log a complaint with NSW Dept of fair trading.
I too purchased a Reef Predator, $3,799. Was told that there would be a 2 week delay before delivery as they were awaiting for parts. Endless emails later and almost 3 months later the bike turned up in Brisbane. The advertised free delivery turned into $100 delivery fee. I tried over and over again to cancel the transaction yet the above George while repeating it would not and said only a week or so away. The bike shops who were to have effected guarantee in Brisbane knew nothing about this. On delivery I noted that the rear suspension pivots were not bushed, simple holes in aluminium with bolts going through. After a month of use the same suspension was clicking or moving to the side when applying power of backing off. I tightened the bottom Allen screw that was loose and the problem gone. Weeks later the same. Then locked tight in thread, then the same, indicating wear and not self loosening Allen key bolt. Now almost 3 months later will experiment with using a spring as to maintain pressure. The e-bike shop doubted the ability to fix without spending lots of cash on a redesign adaptors. They were unimpressed with un-bushed suspension pivoting arms, and suggested selling, before the problem becomes acute. Back to purchasing. The parts George was awaiting in his alleged to have factory, was obviously the bike, that was apparently yet to be purchased in Chine. I did infect purchase a yet to be purchased bike, where delivery was obviously subject to Reef's business plan not winding up on the reef where I would become an unsecured creditor in a failed business. Sadly after spending lots on extras on the bike that I enjoy riding, selling will probably become the solution, to all the above written. I was disappointed with Bank Card for not standing up to Reef where demanding a refund in total. They did get George to pay back the delivery fee. Purchasing on line a bike that I would not have purchased should I have had the chance of inspection, before parting with my cash first, then I would not have needed to write the above.

I too purchased a Reef Predator, $3,799. Was told that there would be a 2 week delay before delivery as they were awaiting for parts. Endless emails later and almost 3 months later the bike turned up in Brisbane. The advertised free delivery turned into $100 delivery fee. I tried over and over again to cancel the transaction yet the above George while repeating it would not and said only a week or so away. The bike shops who were to have effected guarantee in Brisbane knew nothing about this. On delivery I noted that the rear suspension pivots were not bushed, simple holes in aluminium with bolts going through. After a month of use the same suspension was clicking or moving to the side when applying power of backing off. I tightened the bottom Allen screw that was loose and the problem gone. Weeks later the same. Then locked tight in thread, then the same, indicating wear and not self loosening Allen key bolt. Now almost 3 months later will experiment with using a spring as to maintain pressure. The e-bike shop doubted the ability to fix without spending lots of cash on a redesign adaptors. They were unimpressed with un-bushed suspension pivoting arms, and suggested selling, before the problem becomes acute. Back to purchasing. The parts George was awaiting in his alleged to have factory, was obviously the bike, that was apparently yet to be purchased in Chine. I did infect purchase a yet to be purchased bike, where delivery was obviously subject to Reef's business plan not winding up on the reef where I would become an unsecured creditor in a failed business. Sadly after spending lots on extras on the bike that I enjoy riding, selling will probably become the solution, to all the above written. I was disappointed with Bank Card for not standing up to Reef where demanding a refund in total. They did get George to pay back the delivery fee. Purchasing on line a bike that I would not have purchased should I have had the chance of inspection, before parting with my cash first, then I would not have needed to write the above.
I hope our stories serve to help people avoid dealing with this shonky company!

Back