Electric Bike Carrier Racks

Well, the clamp style (2 bike) carrier arrived Friday. Very light, no problem gripping the assembly and balancing/inserting it in to a 2" hitch. I can't imagine an easier/faster method of getting them up and locking them down. Haven't driven it on the road nor locked down the hitch receiver though from what I've seen on the video and can guess from looking at it...it's going to be a 'wobbler' without doing some more bracing. One other downfall that I didn't count on...the trays that the wheels set in are plastic. I imagine that they don't fail yet if they did..your bike is toast given the design.
I like it.
Swing the bars out of the way, set your bike in the trays, swing them back/push the ratchet clams down...done.
We'll see what happens when they get put to the test (I may throw a strap around the bike/spare tire carrier for piece of mind).

Last edited:
**Update on the Saris SuperClamp (2 bike rack) recommended by ChicagoLand Ebikes (thank you)**

I finally socked down the threaded 2" hitch screw and took it for a ride. The rack is still somewhat wobbly but an expected function of the rest of the assembly/parts and not what necessarily counts (the frame). I ended up sticking a neoprene Nalgene cooler sleeve between the fender/tire/support and ratcheting the clamp down over the flexible fender instead of the tire as normal. This seemed to work fine and hold just as well.
I would recommend this rack to anyone not wishing to exert that much effort when loading or unloading a heavy ebike.

I was going to ask how loading a heavy eBike was on the Saris Freedom SuperClamp? My ability to lift is very limited. The eBikes I'm looking at weigh in at around 57 lbs, which I know is more than your Dash, and I know is heavier than I can lift with my back issues.

Kuat makes a model called the NV, which has a per bike load of 60 pounds. Removing the battery should get most bikes down to below this cap limit. You can load your bike in this rack in about 1 minute and offloading the same. It does not come with a ramp so you must be able to lift your bike off the ground comfortably, which may be an issue for some. I use this rack myself and love the speed and durability. It does come equipped to load two bikes and you must buy an extension to fit another two bikes, for a total of four bikes. It is somewhat expensive, but you must weight that versus the time saving.

If your rack is too cumbersome, you won't even actually use it anyway. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Just installed the Thule EasyFold 9032, a hitch mounted platform carrier rated to carry two 66 lb eBikes. It comes with a ramp to make it easier to get a heavy eBike onto the platform. Self locking clamps for the bike frame, ratchet straps for the wheels, and a self lock for the hitch mount.
IMG_2187.JPG

The Thule runs $700 and will only carry 120 lbs.(2 bikes total) ....yet Brian says his Dash weighs 62 lbs.

Is there anybody out there currently making a decent (and I have a hard time even saying this) "bike rack" here in America...or exactly how far have we truly fallen in terms of our ability to engineer even the simplest of items?
$700...and it can't even handle the weight of 2 basic ebikes...which it is (supposedly) designed to handle?
Made in Wisconsin 1UP USA RACK
150 lb capacity
$369
2up - $559
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
I have the 1Up Quik Rack (as does George S.). Mine will hold 1 bike, up to 50 lbs. I take off the EVO battery, which brings the bike weight down to 51 lbs. I can highly recommend 1Up.

Just installed the Thule EasyFold 9032, a hitch mounted platform carrier rated to carry two 66 lb eBikes. It comes with a ramp to make it easier to get a heavy eBike onto the platform. Self locking clamps for the bike frame, ratchet straps for the wheels, and a self lock for the hitch mount.View attachment 3068

It's very impressive, but I believe that would have to be 1 1/4 inch hitch receiver. My concern would be what they call the 'tongue weight'. The Thule is heavy, and the bike is heavy, so you may be around 130 pounds directly on the hitch. The tow weight is different from the hitch weight.

My guess is that two bikes would be a little iffy. Not sure what kind of car that is. Not sure if the hitch was 'factory', or what the tow rating, tongue rating are. Small cars often have no tow rating, but you can buy aftermarket hitches. It's not ideal, so I will assume you are going by the 'book' for your car.

There is an adapter to allow both size hitch receivers. I have a Curt hitch installed that is rated at 200 lbs tongue weight. The car is a Fiat 500e.

Just installed the Thule EasyFold 9032, a hitch mounted platform carrier rated to carry two 66 lb eBikes. It comes with a ramp to make it easier to get a heavy eBike onto the platform. Self locking clamps for the bike frame, ratchet straps for the wheels, and a self lock for the hitch mount.View attachment 3068

@Brian Lee ... How wide does the clamp that secures the bike frame open? Would it fit around the section with the battery? If you look at my avatar, you will see that I don't have a crosstube and not much space on my seatpost tube.

Thanks for sharing your setup. Love the NINJA BLACK bike !!! LOL

We have the Kuat NV bike rack rated for 2 bikes at 60 lb each which probably means it will hold 2 bikes at over 200 lbs each and it is the best bike carrier I've ever owned, and I have a few just hanging on the garage wall. Easy to install and load and unload bikes, plus a built in work stand if and when needed, and a locking hitch to prevent theft, plus built in locking cables for the bikes to prevent theft, just the best in planning and design, imo. Less $ than others are talking about on this post and for $20 it was assembled and ready for pick up at my local Performance Bike store. Look it up yourself and tell me if this is not the best bike carrier on the market for the price, or at any price. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Kuatracks.com

We have the Kuat NV bike rack rated for 2 bikes at 60 lb each which probably means it will hold 2 bikes at over 200 lbs each and it is the best bike carrier I've ever owned, and I have a few just hanging on the garage wall. Easy to install and load and unload bikes, plus a built in work stand if and when needed, and a locking hitch to prevent theft, plus built in locking cables for the bikes to prevent theft, just the best in planning and design, imo. Less $ than others are talking about on this post and for $20 it was assembled and ready for pick up at my local Performance Bike store. Look it up yourself and tell me if this is not the best bike carrier on the market for the price, or at any price. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Kuatracks.com
+1

@Brian Lee ... How wide does the clamp that secures the bike frame open? Would it fit around the section with the battery? If you look at my avatar, you will see that I don't have a crosstube and not much space on my seatpost tube.

Thanks for sharing your setup. Love the NINJA BLACK bike !!! LOL

No, I don't think the clamp will open wide enough to accommodate the downtube carrying the battery. I clamp it to the top tube or the seatpost.

Back