Electric Bike assist/pedaling for best experience?

Umpireglen

Region
USA
I have an Aventon Sinch E Bike.
I'm trying to use the real pedaling but with the assist it's not like a regular bike shifting down or up manually on the pedal side when you come up to an incline, if that makes any sense!
Should I leave the manual in the same position and just adjust the assist. I'm trying to get some calories burnt vs all electric.

Do you have the original Sinch or the newer Sinch.2? The latter has torque-sensing assist. Don't know about the original, but if it has simple cadence-sensing assist (likely), that would limit your ability to dial in the amount of exertion you want in a given situation.

I leave the electricity turned off (throttle) unless a grade is bad enough to pull me down to 3 mph. Or if the wind in my face is bad enough to pull me down to 4.5 mph on flats. I hated cadence assist and pulled the crank magnet away from the sensor.
You may need more assist in the beginning until you build up your strength and wind. I rode unpowered for years, starting at 5 miles until I built up to 25 miles in my fifties. A windy day September 2018 convinced me to buy electric assist. My route between 2 houses is fixed, and 6 hours over 27 miles (4.5 mph) at 120-144 bpm is TOO MUCH EXERCISE. Winds are much worse now than in the 2010's even. Wind used to be pretty calm between May and the second week of October. Not any more.
I was an Army vet and transisioned from jogging per the Army program in my fifties to bike riding as my knees wore out. Other people may not have the heart+lung health to jump in radically an aerobic exercise program. Read Dr. Cooper's book Aerobics and do not run your heart over 75 bpm in the beginning. Exercise aerobically 30 minutes 4 times a week. Back off and see a physician if you ever feel faint or dizzy during aerobic exercise, or if your heart starts skipping beats. Stay in touch with a ride partner with a cell-phone while building up, you may need assistance. Barring medical problems you may be able to increase the safe heart rate about 4 bpm per month until you reach the rate Dr Cooper recommended 30 minutes 4 times a week. 85% of (200 - age) I remember it as.

Last edited:
I think it's better cardio to be in a higher gear and pedalling faster, even though it feels easier as opposed to trying to push harder with the feet in a lower gear,

I still kept my regular bike and put it back in my rotation last year, About 20% of my miles in 2023 were w/o power. While I'm in better bike shape, put on a lot of beer belly this winter. Gotta work it off.

I have an Aventon Sinch E Bike.
I'm trying to use the real pedaling but with the assist it's not like a regular bike shifting down or up manually on the pedal side when you come up to an incline, if that makes any sense!
Should I leave the manual in the same position and just adjust the assist. I'm trying to get some calories burnt vs all electric.
Generally the rule is you should shift to maintain your favourite cadence, and only increase the assistance level either to ride faster or to maintain your cadence when the climb becomes too steep. Manipulating the assistance instead of gears is like riding a motorcycle, and that would not contribute to your workout or cycling skill.

Back