Ecotric steering shaft issue.

PaulHarding

2 weeks ago I purchased a 20”” folding fat tire Ecotric bike and have problems.
The steering shaft feels loose and very creaky within the frame tube despite having the center bolt and collar bolts tightened down really well. Local bike shop said there are supposed to be a pair of bearings on the shaft to keep it aligned within the frame tube. Is this correct ? there were no such bearings included in parts box that came with the bike..... only black plastic collars. I can’t find a parts diagram anywhere in internet. Your thoughts or advice are welcomed and appreciated.

headset.jpg

The yellow parts surely there. The rest could be missing.

You might have had the bike shop fix it. I don't know if they will put in the missing parts or replace the whole thing. The latter is the only way I know all the parts are matched.

Thank you...... this schematic is a bit perplexing to me. I will try and disassemble my shaft tomorrow and post photo of parts included.

The center bolt should not be tightened down 'really well'. It should be tightened enough to remove slop and any vertical movement in the headset, then the pinch bolts are tightened to hold it all in place. That's assuming that all the parts are there, as Harry said. You're probably hearing and feeling the bearings grinding in the head set. Good video here:

Some loose parts I had laying around. Top two are bearings and plastic seal from the bottom.

Lower three are the bearings, a plastic seal and a cone from the top. These are under the steerer collar that is held with two side blts plus the cap with the center allen bolt. Hard to lose, unless they were never there, because as far as I remember, the steerer comes installed on the 20" folder.

Also hard for a bike shop to miss, if they really saw it.

P5220205.jpg

Last edited:
The center bolt should not be tightened down 'really well'. It should be tightened enough to remove slop and any vertical movement in the headset, then the pinch bolts are tightened to hold it all in place. That's assuming that all the parts are there, as Harry said. You're probably hearing and feeling the bearings grinding in the head set. Good video here:
I don't get it........ seems the only way I can minimize the slop is to crank down on it. I am freaking out with worry now about have I just turned a 2 week old $960 bike into a boat anchor !

This is how I do it. Three steps. You can't take up the slack unless you loosen the two side screws first.

screws.jpg

Some loose parts I had laying around. Top two are bearings and plastic seal from the bottom.

Lower three are the bearings, a plastic seal and a cone from the top. These are under the steerer collar that is held with two side blts plus the cap with the center allen bolt. Hard to lose, unless they were never there, because as far as I remember, the steerer comes installed on the 20" folder.

Also hard for a bike shop to miss, if they really saw it.

View attachment 53020
Can I buy those bearings from you ?

Can I buy those bearings from you ?

Hey, they're rusted.

You can buy a headset for under $20. 1 1/8" threadless to get bearings.

But you should look to see if anything is missing first. A bike shop will sell you what you need.

2 weeks ago I purchased a 20”” folding fat tire Ecotric bike and have problems.
The steering shaft feels loose and very creaky within the frame tube despite having the center bolt and collar bolts tightened down really well. Local bike shop said there are supposed to be a pair of bearings on the shaft to keep it aligned within the frame tube. Is this correct ? there were no such bearings included in parts box that came with the bike..... only black plastic collars. I can’t find a parts diagram anywhere in internet. Your thoughts or advice are welcomed and appreciated.
Have you tried contacting the seller? I received one of their folders a couple weeks ago that had an issue. I have "never" received better customer service from anybody than I received for Ecotric. I preferred to troubleshoot and repair rather than return. I told them what I had done to troubleshoot and they immediately sent all the parts that I needed to make it right. I won't get into the details but they even offered compensation for my trouble. I now have a bike that works perfectly and I learned a lot.

Back