EBR made me do it! (new Vado SL 5.0 EQ)

@Jeremy McCreary: I promised posting some photos about handlebar grips.

1726425732900.png

Here's SQlab 710 grip integrated with Innerbarend 410/402. You might notice the grip itself is very similar to the Specialized one.

1726425863216.png

Ergon GP2 combined with SQlab Innerbarend 411. I had to shorten the grip a little to win some space on the handlebars!
Here: the normal riding position (the hand just on the grip).

1726425988479.png

The normal riding position on the Innerbarend. I just
rest my hand on the piece.

1726426122023.png

The hand rests relaxed on the grip with the Innerbarend just maintaining the hand position and slightly supporting the hand (no pressure should be exerted on the hand). The fingers loosely rest on the brake lever.

1726426280217.png

The hand position on the GP2 bar-end for a long segment with no traffic in sight and possibly with tailwind. I do not
hold the bar-end. I just rest my hand on it.

1726426384427.png

I occasionally rest my hand as shown in the case of numb hands.

@Jeremy McCreary: I promised posting some photos about handlebar grips.

View attachment 182379
Here's SQlab 710 grip integrated with Innerbarend 410/402. You might notice the grip itself is very similar to the Specialized one.

View attachment 182380
Ergon GP2 combined with SQlab Innerbarend 411. I had to shorten the grip a little to win some space on the handlebars!
Here: the normal riding position (the hand just on the grip).

View attachment 182381
The normal riding position on the Innerbarend. I just
rest my hand on the piece.

View attachment 182382
The hand rests relaxed on the grip with the Innerbarend just maintaining the hand position and slightly supporting the hand (no pressure should be exerted on the hand). The fingers loosely rest on the brake lever.

View attachment 182383
The hand position on the GP2 bar-end for a long segment with no traffic in sight and possibly with tailwind. I do not
hold the bar-end. I just rest my hand on it.

View attachment 182384
I occasionally rest my hand as shown in the case of numb hands.
Thanks for the info and photos! You and @Prairie Dog both steered me toward the Ergon GP2 grips.

20240915_153248.jpg

Installed them before today's 16 mi coast ride. Nice and comfy, appreciated the extra hand positions, and no hand or wrist discomfort afterward.

Last edited:
Yeah, not used to a mirror there and keep knocking it out of position. Still, I like this Mirrycle bar-end mirror much better than the EVT helmet mirror I tried.
Glad to hear the SL is working for you. You are among few who really did research to learn what the SL can accomplish (and what it cannot accomplish) in advance of purchase. So good on you!
I'm nearing the end of my 2nd season on the SL and still absolutely love the bike.

Thanks for the info and photos! You and @Prairie Dog both steered me toward the Ergon GP2 grips.

View attachment 182429
Installed them before today's 16 mi coast ride. Nice and comfy, appreciated the extra hand positions, and no hand or wrist discomfort afterward.

View attachment 182429
Nice ride Jeremy, I have them on my turbo Vado, helps on the long rides. I considered the SL, just didn’t make financial sense to use only when I’m in our Rv.

Question for Vado SL EQ owners with experience riding them when wet.

Just removed the long plastic mud flaps at the bottoms of the fenders. Am I likely to regret this when it rains?

20240915_172449.jpg
Main motivation: The rear flap keeps me from standing the bike on its rear wheel to roll it between cars in the garage. Vastly easier than any other method, and much less risk to car paint. And they're easy enough to reinstall.

20240914_120619.jpg

20240916_100220.jpg

Besides, both flaps look kinda dorky to me. Looks sportier — or at least more normal — without the flaps in this before and after.

20221106_201556.jpg

The hub-drive's fenders work well enough in the rain. Its front fender goes no lower now, and its rear is only a few inches longer than the SL's sans flap. This will generally be my foul-weather bike.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just removed the long plastic mud flaps at the bottoms of the fenders. Am I likely to regret this when it rains?
Just expect the down tube getting soiled. Otherwise, these flaps are not necessary at all. Removing the front mud flap could be even beneficial: the flap has the tendency to pick up objects such as little twigs and blocking the front wheel, which could be even dangerous.

1726538273488.png

I think it was my first forest ride on a Vado SL (July 6th, 2021). I can't even remember whether it was the mud flap or the front fender to block my wheel on the ride twice. As forest riding would be one of the principal activities on that e-bike, I got rid of the front fender early, and went with a temporary AssSaver for the next 3 years... Which probably is not your use case, Jeremy! :)

Last edited:
Not so sure about that. I think we could all use some ass-saving now and then.
;^}
Don't be worried Jeremy without any obvious reason! Act only when the issue arises. Besides, the zip-tie mounted AssSaver was not the best of ideas: the rear part of the "blade" used to rub the down tube, and eventually it damaged a piece of paint there. So many people ride Vado SL EQ and nobody really complains... I should have bought a Vado SL 5.0 non-EQ (provided such a version was ever available) but you can never know what your real needs are... :)

A friend (incited by me) bought a Vado SL 5.0 EQ early this summer and was together with his wife on several multi-day tours: no complaints!

Don't be worried Jeremy without any obvious reason! Act only when the issue arises.
My friends and mentors on EBR will be relieved to know that I'm just about done with the hand-wringing over the SL. Only 2 remaining issues:

1. Storage: Want just the right amount without resorting to a big trunk bag. This will take time and a lot of trial and error. A 3L waist pack may be involved.

2. Tubeless tires: The tubeless Pathfinder Pros go on in 2 days. Tubeless tires weren't even a thing the last time I was an avid cyclist, and I have no experience with maintaining or repairing them.

Luckily, found someone very knowledgeable at the LBS doing the tire work who's willing to teach me and get me set up with a repair kit to carry.

BTW, this LBS (Cadence Cyclery, Encinitas) sells only the highest-end bikes. (Think S-Works Tarmacs and comparable Colnagos, Cervelos, Pinarellos, etc.) Way out of my league, but they're friendly and helpful nonetheless.

What is your opinion on panniers Jeremy? If you want one, be aware it is the Specialized Tailwind that fully matches the Vado SL rear rack (I recommend the "right hand side" one). The rack is small, and most of panniers are too big. (No experience with trunk bags). In my opinion, the last thing you want is a waist bag!

Tubeless tyres require more frequent re-inflating, that's it.

(I hope you can get Chris King valves). The maintenance requires replenishing the sealant every three months. What I do myself is rotating the wheel to have the valve in 6 o'clock position. Then, I relieve the pressure from the wheel by unscrewing and slightly pressing the valve core. The Chris King valve cap has an appropriate tool, with which I remove the valve core. Then, I take a small syringe (no needle!) and inject some 30 ml of sealant through the valve stem. Eventually, I replace the valve core and reinflate the tyre. It is a good idea to rotate the wheel many times to distribute the sealant or just going for a ride.

Regarding the punctures: In case of small punctures, it is enough to remove the foreign object from the tyre, and it will re-seal soon (carry a pump with you). In case of a BIG puncture, you will need a repair kit, possibly involving a CO2 cartridge. The procedure is easy. Only I have never had to use the repair kit, so let me spare some words here :)

1726543063995.png

A big puncture on my e-MTB, August 2020. I didn't have the tubeless repair set with me at that time, yet the tyre resealed itself!

What is your opinion on panniers Jeremy? If you want one, be aware it is the Specialized Tailwind that fully matches the Vado SL rear rack (I recommend the "right hand side" one). The rack is small, and most of panniers are too big. (No experience with trunk bags). In my opinion, the last thing you want is a waist bag!

Tubeless tyres require more frequent re-inflating, that's it.

(I hope you can get Chris King valves). The maintenance requires replenishing the sealant every three months. What I do myself is rotating the wheel to have the valve in 6 o'clock position. Then, I relieve the pressure from the wheel by unscrewing and slightly pressing the valve core. The Chris King valve cap has an appropriate tool, with which I remove the valve core. Then, I take a small syringe (no needle!) and inject some 30 ml of sealant through the valve stem. Eventually, I replace the valve core and reinflate the tyre. It is a good idea to rotate the wheel many times to distribute the sealant or just going for a ride.

Regarding the punctures: In case of small punctures, it is enough to remove the foreign object from the tyre, and it will re-seal soon (carry a pump with you). In case of a BIG puncture, you will need a repair kit, possibly involving a CO2 cartridge. The procedure is easy. Only I have never had to use the repair kit, so let me spare some words here :)
Very helpful! The Tailwind panniers caught my eye for occasional use. But need to work out a minimalist day-to-day storage solution first.

My friends and mentors on EBR will be relieved to know that I'm just about done with the hand-wringing over the SL. Only 2 remaining issues:

1. Storage: Want just the right amount without resorting to a big trunk bag. This will take time and a lot of trial and error. A 3L waist pack may be involved.

2. Tubeless tires: The tubeless Pathfinder Pros go on in 2 days. Tubeless tires weren't even a thing the last time I was an avid cyclist, and I have no experience with maintaining or repairing them.

Luckily, found someone very knowledgeable at the LBS doing the tire work who's willing to teach me and get me set up with a repair kit to carry.

BTW, this LBS (Cadence Cyclery, Encinitas) sells only the highest-end bikes. (Think S-Works Tarmacs and comparable Colnagos, Cervelos, Pinarellos, etc.) Way out of my league, but they're friendly and helpful nonetheless.
Tubeless has been a life saver for me. Now... to qualify that I ride trails often, and around here the blackberry thorns are ubiquitous indeed. Have not had another flat for over 3 years.
I ride on the road a lot too, so glass, metal shards etc. are always available.
Yes, there are some maintenance aspects, but the trade off (IMHO) is negligeable.
Storage is very personal. I do love my Topeak bag, and it expands to a position of carrying a weeks' worth of groceries, but that is of course not what everyone wants/needs. Hope you find the right fit!

Regarding tubeless.. Methinks tire pressure plays a part.
I run 30psi on my Conti Rubans.
Those that run double/triple psi may not benefit as much? This is just an uneducated guess.
It occurs to me that a lower psi tire has more of an opportunity to seal than a higher psi.
Happy to be corrected.

Regarding tubeless.. Methinks tire pressure plays a part.
I run 30psi on my Conti Rubans.
Those that run double/triple psi may not benefit as much? This is just an uneducated guess.
It occurs to me that a lower psi tire has more of an opportunity to seal than a higher psi.
Happy to be corrected.
Ability to run lower pressures than the 50-80 psi the stock tires allow is one of the main reasons I want to go tubeless on the SL. Also — from what I keep reading here and elsewhere — better puncture resistance and field repair options.

My only reservation: I'm the kind of guy who'll end up with sealant all over everything.

Ability to run lower pressures than the 50-80 psi the stock tires allow is one of the main reasons I want to go tubeless on the SL. Also — from what I keep reading here and elsewhere — better puncture resistance and field repair options.

My only reservation: I'm the kind of guy who'll end up with sealant all over everything.
🤣
I've been using Stans regular.
The presta valves let you use Stans small bottles on the road.
Once a year I go to LBS and get a tune up and sealant replacement.

Back