Ebikes in Moab Utah

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I recently spent a few days in Moab Utah which is mecca for almost all forms of outdoor recreation. While literally every other vehicle I passed had at least one MTB on the back, I saw no ebikes at all. I didn't bring my ebike on the trip but did spend a good deal of time on the 4WD vehicle trails. Again, I saw plenty of MTB's but no ebikes. There were many bicycles on the city streets but, you guessed it, no ebikes.

I was quite surprised by this since Moab has several hundred miles of single track, packed gravel and paved trails available in the area. Except for the hottest Summer months, the weather is ideal for biking. The trailheads I checked out had no signage prohibiting ebikes. My curiosity led me to Rim Cyclery, one of the major LBS in town. They carry Blix and Scott ebikes but had only one Scott bike in stock. The store had several hundred conventional MTB's on the floor for sale or rent.

I spoke to the proprietor who told me that even though the local laws are liberal concerning their use, there is very little demand for ebikes. I asked about anti ebike sentiment among the hard core MTB er's and was relieved to hear him say that there really isn't any in Moab. He attributes the lack of ebike interest to demographics. Most bikers attracted to the area are relatively young and into physical fitness. In his opinion, ebikes are something of a crutch and are more suited for older, less fit riders. He thinks ebikes will catch on eventually though and that's why he does carry the Blix and Scott brands.

Anyway, it was an experience I thought others might find interesting.

Isn't it great out there? We drove out to Utah 4 years ago. I was talking with some ladies at Canyonlands, getting ready to take a three day outfitter's ride. The guy provides bikes and follows with a truck loaded with all the camp gear and food. They weren't hard core riders, but they were ready to spend a half day on the saddles.

Speaking of saddles, I didn't do any biking but I did fall off a horse. He did the old trick of puffing out his belly so the saddle would tip.
DSCN4517.JPG

I would think the same ban on e-bikes existing on US park trails would apply in Moab. I saw that in Colorado the following year, and we have it here in Illinois in a NPS park maintained for bison. They have a guided ride next weekend, but we were told we couldn't bring the ebikes. . No narrow tired bikes either because it's half grass..

Isn't it great out there? We drove out to Utah 4 years ago. I was talking with some ladies at Canyonlands, getting ready to take a three day outfitter's ride. The guy provides bikes and follows with a truck loaded with all the camp gear and food. They weren't hard core riders, but they were ready to spend a half day on the saddles.

Speaking of saddles, I didn't do any biking but I did fall off a horse. He did the old trick of puffing out his belly so the saddle would tip.
View attachment 33582

I would think the same ban on e-bikes existing on US park trails would apply in Moab. I saw that in Colorado the following year, and we have it here in Illinois in a NPS park maintained for bison. They have a guided ride next weekend, but we were told we couldn't bring the ebikes. . No narrow tired bikes either because it's half grass..

Yes, it is indeed beautiful out there. We plan to go back again next spring.

The trails in the national parks and federal land are off limits to ebikes but The trails I was referring to are on state and local property around Moab where ebikes are permitted for the most part. Of particular interest is the 9000 acre Sand Flats Recreation area at the base of the La Sal mountains. The park is administered jointly by the Bureau of Land Management and Utah's Grand county.

Good one 6zfshdb!
I'm lucky to have a huge bike playground right in my back yard (so to speak).
There are places where an EMTB can excel, usually when taking the shortcut up a hill so you can ride the longer path back down again. But there is still a price that is paid for having that convenience.
A rider accustomed to the maneuverability of a lightweight and nimble MTB is likely not going to adapt well to the extra effort it takes to guide a heavier bike (at maybe twice the weight or more) down a path that has lots of jumps, switchbacks, roots and rocks.
Doubtful that a popular MTB riding area will ever see a significant EMTB population unless the area includes many miles of trails that include lots of uphills. The idea is to not use the power unless there is a need for it, thus extending the availability of power, having fun, and getting a good workout. Higher end ebikes have all that built into their electronics so that enough power remains to get you back after all your energy is completely exhausted and you are hanging over the handlebars.

This was the first experience on an EMTB for Trail Quest. Subsequent rides on some different bikes did not work out so well. At the end he rides back up the hill for another downhill run.

If there was a place like that nearby, I would probably already be riding a Levo.

This was the first experience on an EMTB for Trail Quest. Subsequent rides on some different bikes did not work out so well. At the end he rides back up the hill for another downhill run.

If there was a place like that nearby, I would probably already be riding a Levo.

I like mine, but at 69 yo, I'm not that fast. It has a good warranty and many dealers.

Hi MikeDD,
I don't have a place to make good use of a bike like that without driving a long ways. I'm in the middle of fat bike country so still get in plenty of good riding and exercise. Even though I picked up a couple of full suspension MTB from Bikes Direct, they are unusable here and just sit and collect dust.
He picked a good easy trail for his first ride on an electric bike. I would too.

I remember when eMtb’s were first hitting the market here 7 or so years ago there was a lot of hub bub based on access in the Moab area. The really odd thing was that they wanted them banned on the Slickrock Trail which was pioneered by motorcycles....Since then the climate has softened obviously although without much press as to how or why.

I do know the bottom section of Porcupine Rim is still off limits but having ridden it multiple times the reasoning escapes me as it is primarily downhill with a road grind usually against a headwind back into town,

I do see postings on empty beer now and then in the ebike forum about folks riding there. When I lived in CO for years we made trips there and the environs quite a bit but have only ridden push bikes. Next time I go back I’m bring an ebike for sure!

Rim Cyclery brings back memories as they were noted mtb pioneers and one of the first shops nationwide to focus on mtb’s. Rob ‘em and Bill ‘em were the proprietors and native sons of the area. Last time I was there you couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting a bike shop.

Yes, it is indeed beautiful out there. We plan to go back again next spring.

The trails in the national parks and federal land are off limits to ebikes but The trails I was referring to are on state and local property around Moab where ebikes are permitted for the most part. Of particular interest is the 9000 acre Sand Flats Recreation area at the base of the La Sal mountains. The park is administered jointly by the Bureau of Land Management and Utah's Grand county.

Have you looked at this? Drop down to local regulations:

https://www.discovermoab.com/ebikes/

Have you looked at this? Drop down to local regulations:

https://www.discovermoab.com/ebikes/

Thanks for posting this. It's pretty much what I was told at the LBS. It's quite specific about where you can and cannot ride. I no longer ride singletrack so that part doesn't bother me. The paved path along the Colorado is nice but it is too close to the highway and the traffic noise spoils the serenity. There are many miles of legal trails available in the area so Moab is still a good e-bike destination.

It's obvious the person(s) who wrote the regulations have no clue about what an e-bike is and how it differs from motorized vehicles. The part about e-bike speed is laughable. I've been passed on the trail many times by conventional bikes. The part about equestrians is also a joke. An e-bike is no more likely to spook a horse than a conventional bike. It appears the writers simply copied the general non sequitur misnomers other regulators have used.

Anyway, thanks for the link.

Earlier today I happened on a link to a MTBr article on the BLM banning ebikes on "non-motorized" single track trails in 2014 in the Moab area. It's relavant to me because I live 4 hours away and it's possible I might someday want to ride out there. I take occasional day or two trips out there for hiking in the winter and I know it would be a great place for the eMTB.

It's interesting the negative spin that was in a forum related to the article. There were comments that an eMTB can go uphill at 20mph. Pffft. Not with this 50 something riding it. I normally don't get over 10mph on long steep uphills that I've tried since recently getting my 2019 Powerfly FS 5. And that's definitely using Turbo mode the entire climb. Anytime I switch down to eMTB mode the bike feels really sluggish and I kick it right back up to Turbo. And since I'm riding with my overweight body on a 50lb bike up a steep climb I'm lucky if I get out 10miles. That was another misinformation claim in the forum that ebikers are inexperienced and the ebike will allow them to get out to far and over their head. Again...nonsense.

I used to own an XR250 from the early 2000s and until recently. Most of the riding I did was in Idaho. The riders I went riding with were very FAST. Insanely fast. Both uphill and downhill. There's no comparison whatsoever to eMTBs. Once the hill is reached the eMTB is the same as a MTB.

There's lots of multi use single track where I live. So far haven't tried them because of the heavy snow this year. But starting in July I expect to try some of the trails. I know which ones the dirt bikers prefer and plan to stay off them because I don't need them riding up my butt. I also know which ones the MTBrs don't like because they are too steep.

Back