eBikes for caravans / motor homes / RV's

DanielB111

Hi Guys,
What do you look for when selecting an eBike to take on a big road trip.

Any special considerations? Lessons learned? Challenges?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Last edited:
Daniel:

I get a lot of customer queries, and some feedback, when it comes to ebikes and road trips. A little more information from you would help guide the discussion, but I can give you a few broad considerations. First, I would focus on the type of riding you plan to do, and the kind of rider you tend to be. Then find a bike that meets those needs. So if you plan on doing some light trail riding, maybe go with a bike with wide or fat tires, and some suspension. If you are going to be cruising in your destination locations, carrying food and suppliers perhaps, make sure the bike can accommodate racks and bags.

Then, consider how you will be carrying the bike: on or inside your vehicle; does it need to fold so it can be put in a trunk? does it need to be lightweight so that it can be lifted onto a rack?

Feel free to respond here or call our store if you want to talk through your options in greater details.

Steve
reallygoodebikes.com
805-881-3365

Personally when I take a road trip I just throw the bike on the back of the car and take off. Not forgetting the charger of course.

The best part about having an e bike along is parking in unfamiliar territory and taking off to explore it via bike. Trick is to remember where you parked. I find with an e bike you just have to think or see where you want to go and head there with little to no regard to obstacles that may be in the way like hills, headwinds or heavy traffic.

I would suggest to not get a bike just for road tripping but one that will suit your everyday needs also and see if it won't adapt to your travel rig? That way you will be more apt to use it more when home perhaps. There is a huge amount of selection these days and if you have any shops close by to try out some different models I think you will get a better feel for what you need than the advice you will get online. Viewing Courts video's is a big help also and a great resource in general.

With security concerns about hanging a $4500 bike on a rack, I would suggest covered storage. Early in my days on the Sondors Facebook page, an owner told the story of having his bike taken off the back of his SUV at a traffic light. Also concerns of hanging it on back in the rain would be my second strike against that idea.

Back