Ebikes….Cheating?

Decho

Region
United Kingdom
I had an interesting encounter with a jogger on a very remote single track road near Balquhidder in the Trossachs…one of the many beautiful cycle ways in Scotland.
I was cycling along the road without any assist as I had reached the 15.5 mph when the assist switched off.
up front was a lone female jogger, so being the polite cyclist I am, I rang my bell, which she heard and moved over, I then said ’Thankyou’ as I passed her.
as a I was cycling away she shouted something at me…I thought maybe something was amiss with my bike so I stopped and asked her what she was shouting.
’Is that an ebike?’ She asked
‘Yes‘ I replied.
’Thats Cheating’ she said.
’Why?’
’You're not getting any exercise’ she exclaimed.
’Oh yes I am, it just allows me to go further and faster….and I have never felt better physically and mentally since getting my Vado 4’
’No you’re not’ she repeated ‘ How far can you go anyway? 50? 60 miles?’
’Yes I replied, no problem…I just get their quicker…and half the time I am running without any assist’
’Oh well’ she says ‘I can do that on my road bike!’
’that’s food then’ I said ‘ bear in mind you are a good bit younger than me!’
finally I said
’By the way are these metal knees you’ve got, because if not and you keep jogging you soon will have!’
I then cycled off leaving her to her prejudiced opinions…..and dodgy knees!

What is it with these people? I say Don’t mock it until you've tried it!
Fantastic Day though, Scotland is such a beautiful place 😊

The best reply to such a tease I heard on these Forums was:
-- Yes, a cheater. And I'm loving it! :)
(Necessarily with a broad smile).

When she referred riding her road bike, I would have asked:
-- I cannot see you riding now, sorry
or
-- How many miles this year?

Interesting. We get the opposite. Our favorite ride is to the next town's country store, which has great food and tables on the front porch (the view is nice too, of small mountains in the distance and the best preserved New England mill village in the foreground). The place gets tourists, since the village is on the map so to speak, many our age (don't ask...) and many who ask about our ebikes and say they want to get one too. No one has called us cheaters, but note that there's a short steep hill just to get to the place.

That's a myth about running ruining your knees. ;) I subscribe to the theory that any exercise is better than no exercise, but you have to find something that you enjoy doing or you won't do it.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/does-running-damage-your-knees#1
No, it's not a myth, and my brother-in-law can prove it. Today, he is 69 years old, but 40 years ago he was a career officer in the US Marine Corps commanding a field artillery battery, and he was very, very active. Not only did he do a full PT regimen with his Marines to ensure everyone in his battery was physically fit, he and a number of the other officers also competed in Ironman competitions around the southwestern United States and Hawaii. You know, for fun in their free time. :rolleyes: Because of all of this pounding, both of his knees and both of his hips have had to replaced. Neither of his two brothers have his history of PT and Ironman competition, nor does either of them have any problems with their knees and hips, and both are older than he is.

No, it's not a myth, and my brother-in-law can prove it. Today, he is 69 years old, but 40 years ago he was a career officer in the US Marine Corps commanding a field artillery battery, and he was very, very active. Not only did he do a full PT regimen with his Marines to ensure everyone in his battery was physically fit, he and a number of the other officers also competed in Ironman competitions around the southwestern United States and Hawaii. You know, for fun in their free time. :rolleyes: Because of all of this pounding, both of his knees and both of his hips have had to replaced. Neither of his two brothers have his history of PT and Ironman competition, nor does either of them have any problems with their knees and hips, and both are older than he is.
Well, there are studies that show that runners aren't any more likely to have knee problems than people that don't run and are less likely to have certain kinds of knee problems. That doesn't mean that all runners won't have knee problems. If you want to go with anecdotal evidence from just one person, then I have been running since I was 14 years old (I am 58) and have not needed a knee or hip replacement. I have never done an ironman, but I have run in plenty of 5Ks, 10Ks, and a few longer races.

At times I feel like I am cheating I have added 1000 miles this summer on an Orbea e-bike, Previous year was only around 600 miles during the summer on a Raleigh Road bike.

Although "cheating" is not quite the word, I did feel a bit guilty today when I showed up at our group ride on my Vado for the first time this year. This is a loose group of 6-12 guys who have been riding once a week -- and more recently twice -- for 10 years or more. We're all aging of course and often I think that our average age is now up to about 70 (I'm 74). We generally ride 20-30 miles on not-too-challenging routes with a stop at the turnaround point for a snack or late breakfast, depending, and ride at 12-14mph typically. Most are just casual cyclists, but the level of experience varies.

Anyway, there is nothing overtly competitive about our rides -- strictly social -- but I feel like there is a shared sense of accomplishment when we all put in the miles at the same effort, especially since we're all in good condition compared to others our age. So I did sort of feel like I was cheating today in that I was putting in the same miles as the others but didn't "do the work" of the others in the group. Maybe it's silly to think like this, but I can't help how I feel and will probably do most of the other rides this year on my hybrid or road bike.

Another factor is that we had a new guy join the group recently. He rides an e-bike, but it's pretty much a necessity for him as he wouldn't be able to stay with us without the motor (and he has admitted as much). Nobody holds it against him, but maybe it's a problem with my ego not wanting to be thought of as "needing" to ride an e-bike. Again, shouldn't be an issue, but it's hard to shake off the attitudes of a lifetime of running and riding competitively, as least in my own mind!

exactly who are you cheating? I can understand that mentality if you are in a race or triathlon, but just out riding? who exactly is being cheated?

Haven’t heard the ”cheating” word for a couple seasons now. Mostly because there’s so many more ebikes on the trails.
However if someone says I’m cheating I simply agree. Then I tell them that just like in school, cheaters need to do detention and I do all my detention at the local craft brewery. 🍺🍺😃🤣

Sometimes you might get surprised from whom you can hear the "cheater!" insult. On my vacations in 2020, I was riding an e-MTB over (how I name it) West Pomeranian "wilderness" in Poland. At some point, I could see a group of kayakers standing at a riverbank. Upon seeing me riding, one of them shouted "cheater!" at me. Cheater in what sense? Did I have an electric motor kayak with me?!

The Troglodytes said the same about electric guitars too, when they first came out. It is fitting that we use technology to to save labor and to enhance our leisure time and joy in whatever work or play endeavors we pursue. Those claiming "cheater" are usually not riding steel bicycles, and have no problem using high-tech carbon fiber and aluminum developed for aerospace applications to reduce their overall weight and make it easier to ride faster and longer.

Well, I'm probably in the minority but I've occasionally called myself a "cheater" when I encounter a NON-e-bike. After about 3 years on an electric bike I know that at my age and level of decrepitude I need the assist but I'm probably still jealous of riders who don't need the help. Also, the Creo is pretty discreet so folks don't initially know it is electric with a well-hidden battery. I'm kind of proud of it. After announcing it is an e-bike I get quite a few questions - so an ambassador of sorts selling e-bike potential.

I bought an ebike because I enjoy the changes in scenery of longer rides and the ability to consistently ride faster. However my HRM tells me I'm putting in a meaningful effort and getting good exercise. What's "cheating" about that?

I bought an ebike because I enjoy the changes in scenery of longer rides and the ability to consistently ride faster. However my HRM tells me I'm putting in a meaningful effort and getting good exercise. What's "cheating" about that?
It is not most people, but there are a few people out there whose ego requires them to compare themselves to random people they meet on the streets and hold them to a fictional standard that makes them feel good about themselves. Or they may just be making a joke and not mean anything by it.

Thats exactly how I feel!

As far as I’m concerned, dishwashers and electric toothbrushes are also cheating. Or maybe like eBikes they are just a better way of doing things! The adventures I’ve had and the miles I’ve covered I just could not have done on a normal bicycle. Also a Vado 4 in Scotland by the way!

Back