Ebikes….Cheating?

Well, I'm probably in the minority but I've occasionally called myself a "cheater" when I encounter a NON-e-bike. After about 3 years on an electric bike I know that at my age and level of decrepitude I need the assist but I'm probably still jealous of riders who don't need the help. Also, the Creo is pretty discreet so folks don't initially know it is electric with a well-hidden battery. I'm kind of proud of it. After announcing it is an e-bike I get quite a few questions - so an ambassador of sorts selling e-bike potential.
I switch between riding an e-bike and road bike on group rides and I just tell people " I'm cheating today" when I bring the e-bike. As you said, it usually generates questions and you are being an ambassador. I don't zoom up the hills on either one and I ride in the back of the group either way. One of my pet peeves were the early adopters who weren't bicycle riders but just wanted to see how fast they could go on an e-motorized bicycle. Fortunately they are a small minority now but they unfortunately left behind some of the regulations we have today.

In North America for decades the bicycle had been seen as a sporting good. It was sold often besides exercise equipment such as treadmills with electric motors and stationary bikes. That had been the mental category of a bike. In the Netherlands bikes have always been in the category of transportation. In fact bikes are the most efficient form of transportation ever devised. Now with electric bikes the most efficient form of transportation is even more efficient. I have been able to commute and shop, doing everything without a car since February of 2018 because of electric bikes. When you encounter the Cheater Mindset, reframe it. My bikes are Class 3. I still pedal and balance, working my fine motor core. I see people ride one-mile in their SUV to go to the gym. They will take the elevator to the second level to get on a stair climber before getting on a stationary bike. Who is cheating when I take an eBike on the train to do some business in another town? It is one less car. In North America 50% of urban space is dedicated to cars. Parking is largely 'free' and there are eight spaces for each car. But someone is paying for that real estate. It is a tax on all of us to subsidize cars.
The photo is of a Sporting Goods store. Note the air pollution.
1630785514272.jpeg

Last edited:
Haven’t heard the ”cheating” word for a couple seasons now. Mostly because there’s so many more ebikes on the trails.
🍺🍺😃🤣

At some point, it is likely that e-bikes will outnumber conventional bikes. If ebikers are the cheaters, then what are we going to call those who didn't get the message?

In North America for decades the bicycle had been seen as a sporting good. It was sold often besides exercise equipment such as treadmills with electric motors and stationary bikes. That had been the mental category of a bike. In the Netherlands bikes have always been in the category of transportation. In fact bikes are the most efficient form of transportation ever devised. Now with electric bikes the most efficient form of transportation is even more efficient. I have been able to commute and shop, doing everything without a car since February of 2018 because of electric bikes. When you encounter the Cheater Mindset, reframe it. My bikes are Class 3. I still pedal and balance, working my fine motor core. I see people ride one-mile in their SUV to go to the gym. They will take the elevator to the second level to get on a stair climber before getting on a stationary bike. Who is cheating when I take an eBike on the train to do some business in another town? It is one less car. In North America 50% of urban space is dedicated to cars. Parking is largely 'free' and there are eight spaces for each car. But someone is paying for that real estate. It is a tax on all of us to subsidize cars.
The photo is of a Sporting Goods store. Note the air pollution.
View attachment 98897
Hey, you are probably a good person to ask: How the heck do you secure your bike? Chains and anchor weights? A dozen u-locks? Stow it in your car? ;)

Pedaluma, some of us don't consider Cabela's to be much of a sporting goods store, and certainly not a place to shop for bikes! Hunting and fishing? Yes.

One of the many social divides in the US is between those who like their motorized sports, power boating, ATV, snowmobiles and such versus those who like unmotorized sports, kayaking, hiking, biking and nordic skiing. I think to some, ebikes violate this divide. Maybe it does, but for some of us, as we age, these non-motorized sports become more difficult and ebikes re-open doors, so to speak.

Hey, you are probably a good person to ask: How the heck do you secure your bike? Chains and anchor weights? A dozen u-locks? Stow it in your car? ;)
Thank you for asking.
I don't normally lock my bikes. I keep an eye on them. If a business like a grocery store will not let one of my bike inside, I shop somewhere that will. The best combo is a U-lock with a 4' cable. Cinch the cable around the front wheel - the cable going through its eye and around the tire/rim. Pull the cable around a post and run the other end to the U. Put the U-lock through the rear wheel and seat tube.
It helps that my bikes do not look electric and that the saddle is way too high - not quick release - for a typical thief to ride. I also turn off the battery. Here is an example bike. It is Class-3 and does 28Mph (39.2Kph).
I think the Bob Dylan going electric controversy is a good way of explaining eBikes. Was Jimi a cheater opening Woodstock?

Attachments

• cremeVenture40halflink.JPG
    cremeVenture40halflink.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 165
Those brakes are extra-long with twice the stopping power. Think of a bike with 700c disc bakes instead of 160mm brakes. This is the one I am working on today. It will be Class-3 with internal brakes in the rear and it is getting a Nexus-7. It was a Raleigh 3-speed touring bike. The geo is long. It will have front and rear racks and a wrapped bar with leather grips. Premium cells help a lot on the new 48V 2020 model batteries to the torque sensor 750W motor with 95Nm. It is getting WTB 45's for touring and gravel. It is recycling cycling.

Attachments

• RaleighIDo6.JPG
    RaleighIDo6.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 156
  • RaleighIDo7.JPG
    RaleighIDo7.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 137
  • RaleighIDo8.JPG
    RaleighIDo8.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 145
  • RaleighIDo9.JPG
    RaleighIDo9.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
The problem with caliper brakes is not the rim. It's the rubber brake pads. When they get hot, there goes your stopping power. And not good when wet. But heck, your setup is light, and I bet you don't have any long hills either, so it no doubt works fine for you. Where I live, though, my life sometimes depends on being able to control speed going down some steep long hills. I would not want rim brakes on my ebike for those rides.

Where I live, though, my life sometimes depends on being able to control speed going down some steep long hills. I would not want rim brakes on my ebike for those rides.
So true. I encounter mountains on my vacation rides only. When I'm there, my ebike hits downhill speeds I perceive as dangerous in most of cases. Therefore, i need to apply brakes (I know what brake modulation is, and I know free spinning rotors cool the best). Though, on one of such descents the pavement was as damaged as I had to brake often. When we stopped, I touched the rotor with my fingers out of sheer stupidity. To burn my fingers.

I'm grateful to Specialized for installing the TRP Zurich 180 mm brakes on my Vado...

Pedaluma, some of us don't consider Cabela's to be much of a sporting goods store, and certainly not a place to shop for bikes! Hunting and fishing? Yes.

One of the many social divides in the US is between those who like their motorized sports, power boating, ATV, snowmobiles and such versus those who like unmotorized sports, kayaking, hiking, biking and nordic skiing. I think to some, ebikes violate this divide. Maybe it does, but for some of us, as we age, these non-motorized sports become more difficult and ebikes re-open doors, so to speak.
I need motorized cross-country skis!!! :)

Thank you for asking.
I don't normally lock my bikes. I keep an eye on them. If a business like a grocery store will not let one of my bike inside, I shop somewhere that will. The best combo is a U-lock with a 4' cable. Cinch the cable around the front wheel - the cable going through its eye and around the tire/rim. Pull the cable around a post and run the other end to the U. Put the U-lock through the rear wheel and seat tube.
It helps that my bikes do not look electric and that the saddle is way too high - not quick release - for a typical thief to ride. I also turn off the battery. Here is an example bike. It is Class-3 and does 28Mph (39.2Kph).
I think the Bob Dylan going electric controversy is a good way of explaining eBikes. Was Jimi a cheater opening Woodstock?
Is the motor in the rear hub? I'm not sure if matters if it is electric or just a bike. Are thieves becoming more discriminating and only going after e-bikes?

As for brakes, it depends on the bike. A town bike commuter is fine with rim brakes. I happen to live in a place with big hills and high winds on the coast North of San Francisco. I put the small mid-drives between the pedals. For big rides I use large disc brakes.
Ever noticed that a seatpost is the same diameter as a shotgun shell?

Skizee ski invention ski zee

I need motorized cross-country skis!!! :)

Attachments

• BigDummy06.JPG
    BigDummy06.JPG
    803.5 KB · Views: 151
We live in a time of global radicalization that affects even the most mundane subjects.
People feel the need to take extreme opposing positions on just about everything these days....
I blame the internet for that :)

To be fair the majority of people are very interested in the bike and want to know more…it IS a real eye catcher bike. I was just so taken aback by this woman’s views and it was just so strange because we were in such a remote location. Maybe she just resented me being polite and ringing my bell to warn her I was coming…it’s not the first time I’ve had abuse for doing this!

Back