Ebikes "at work"

I am half-way into converting a very long cargo bike today. It is a Mundo. I like the Big Dummy's design. That guy rides from his place in Kentfield, Marin County up Mt. Tamalpias, the place where mountaing biking was invented, to his windsurfing weekend home in Stinson Beach, just up the coast from the GG bridge. That is a world class ride. His first ride was all the way to the top of the mountain with 80 pounds of dog food.
1642195742442.jpeg
1642195798453.jpeg

1642196184642.png
1642196517342.jpeg

I’ve seen your custom bags project at tales on two wheels, so that’s a future possibility.
I still have my almost-new Mongoose bags. They are hanging off the back of my wire shelving racks in my garage as storage bins.

If you look into doing the bags, be sure to look at the follow-on articles where I upgraded attachment to use cargo loops and simple wood dowels. I first did that on the Surly and not so long ago retrofitted the Envoy. Way more convenient and much sturdier connection... and you can leave the bag handles on instead of cutting them off. You can pull the dowels in about 10 seconds and with the handles on, you can just carry the loaded bag inside.

Man, I'm feeling like a real weenie here with my regular old bike and little Schwinn trailer 🤣🤣🤣. Rode just under 5 little miles around town today running errands 🤗. I'm getting the hang of it - it's been much easier than I anticipated! My only issue was Google maps - I was experimenting with it, and it routed me to the UPS store (for evil Amazon returns) via a fairly busy 4 lane street that I would need to cross traffic to make a left turn. It knew I was on the bike! Fortunately, the city is pretty small and I've lived here since 1976, so I knew how to take quieter parallel streets.

After completing my returns, I headed over to the base to visit the exchange (department store) and commissary (grocery store). They are definitely lacking bike racks, but there was plenty of steel fence pipe to lock to 😉.

Again, didn't do a huge shop, but everything fit in the trailer - especially my very important half case of vino rosso 🤣. Once my cargo net arrives, I'll be able to stack stuff up higher and not sorry about it falling out or off!

The morning was mild and sunny, perfect to be out on my bike, getting stuff done!

IMG_20220114_123937112_HDR.jpgIMG_20220114_113326170_HDR.jpg

Here is the Mundo I am working on. A bunch of other stuff came up today so I couldn't work on it. The bike is pictured in a seven-foot wide hallway. The entire bike was covered in a fine mist of white house paint which needed removal. The head set bolts were rusted but the rest was perfect, so because I had this black headset and bar those got installed. It also got a wide range nickle plated freewheel cluster because those original Tourney ones are made from soft ripened cheese. I also filled the amplification resonator chamber behind the bottom bracket with Great Stuff. The paint now looks perfect. Next it gets beefier brakes.
1642207545070.jpeg

So great to see all of these wonderful bikes for utility riding.

I’ve always been a recreational cyclist with the occasional bike commute. Now being in middle age with the associated middle age spread and having put on far to many COVID kilos, I decided that I wanted to replace many of my short car trips with a bike.

I decided to get a cargo ebike to do two things, firstly give me the capacity to carry stuff around, and secondly remove the barriers to cycling making easier to ride more regularly.

So I ordered R&M Multicharger Mixte, loaded out with the cargo front carrier and side loaders and bags along the back

In the last year prior to getting this bike I would ride about 50 to 100 kilometres a month. Now I am averaging that a week, I’ve literally quadrupled my riding.

If I need to pick up a slab of beers, I’ll ride the 10km to a distant bottle shop and put it on the front. It’s hilarious when I stop out front and request the “deliver to boot” option and the come out and I’m on the bike.

Need groceries? I’ll ride to the supermarket 3 suburbs over just because I can and fill up the side bags and head home.

I feel stronger and fitter than I have in a while but the covid kilos are still persisting, although I suspect that might have to do with the beers I’m collecting :)

So I ordered R&M Multicharger Mixte, loaded out with the cargo front carrier and side loaders and bags along the back

In the last year prior to getting this bike I would ride about 50 to 100 kilometres a month. Now I am averaging that a week, I’ve literally quadrupled my riding.

I feel stronger and fitter than I have in a while but the covid kilos are still persisting, although I suspect that might have to do with the beers I’m collecting :)
I can ride a geared hub motor bicycle without power, and do most of the time unless the headwind is so bad my trip would take 6 hours without. Unpowered is not an option with Bosch drive. I also use power for the sixtieth to eightieth hill of my 27 mile commute. That hilly extension keeps me off 55 mph narrow Ste Rte 3. 3.7 hours of exercise and 24 miles twice weekly is enough. Plus a couple of 6 to 8 mile runs to groceries, hardwares, or church per week. I've lost 53 lb since I quit working & driving cars.

I can ride a geared hub motor bicycle without power, and do most of the time unless the headwind is so bad my trip would take 6 hours without. Unpowered is not an option with Bosch drive. I also use power for the sixtieth to eightieth hill of my 27 mile commute. That hilly extension keeps me off 55 mph narrow Ste Rte 3. 3.7 hours of exercise and 24 miles twice weekly is enough. Plus a couple of 6 to 8 mile runs to groceries, hardwares, or church per week. I've lost 53 lb since I quit working & driving cars.
That’s so good!

Actually I’m riding my bike with the assist off a lot of the time. I find it very easy to ride on a flat with the motor off. I try to use eco the most, but in hilly bits the eMTB mode is an absolute cracker!

My plan is to keep riding until the habit becomes permanent for replacing car trips.

That’s so good!

My plan is to keep riding until the habit becomes permanent for replacing car trips.
In a word the problem is Addiction. When you ride you are flooded with endorphins. Then you become highly irritable as they fade. That is until you ride again. Rides progressively get longer, and longer also more frequent. You dream about bikes and become obsessive. You may not want to admit to others the extent and frequency of your riding adventures. The first step is coming clean, admitting to your self how much you ride your eBike. I did three long rides yesterday. There, I admit it. Because of eBikes I was able to ditch my car three-years-ago.
1642267922763.jpeg
1642268068503.jpeg
1642268288089.jpeg
1642268185845.jpeg

Last edited:
In a word the problem is Addiction. When you ride you are flooded with endorphins. Then you become highly irritable as they fade. That is until you ride again. Rides progressively get longer, and longer also more frequent. You dream about bikes and become obsessive. You may not want to admit to others the extent and frequency of your riding adventures. The first step is coming clean, admitting to your self how much you ride your eBike. I did three long rides yesterday. There, I admit it. Because of eBikes I was able to ditch my car three-years-ago.
View attachment 111890View attachment 111891View attachment 111893View attachment 111892
Everything you’ve just said is 100% accurate.

Man, I'm feeling like a real weenie here with my regular old bike and little Schwinn trailer

<snip>

... The morning was mild and sunny, perfect to be out on my bike, getting stuff done!
Forget that first part. The last part is all that matters :D

Need groceries? I’ll ride to the supermarket 3 suburbs over just because I can and fill up the side bags and head home.
I moved my prescriptions to a Costco thats 10 miles further away (and in the opposite direction) than the one that was handling them before that was right on my way in to work. Same idea exactly! So I do my shopping there too and have a nice long ride out and back.

part time job 15 miles
What I love in commuting with an electric bike is that I arrive to work clear-headed, refreshed, invigorated, and totally mellow. The poor commuters who arrive to work by car have been white knuckling it in bumper-to-bumper. Their armpits are soaked with stress sweat. They are angry and can't think straight. At the end of the day I get a mini-vacation and again arrive clear-headed and refreshed. They arrive home wiped-out and mean.

prescriptions to a Costco thats 10 miles further away
Who among this EBR community thinks that if there were a random experiment to see which is more efficacious, an established anti-depressant drug regimen, or daily riding of an eBike; that the the eBike riders would be the happier and healthier group after three-months? Two years? Which do you would be more cost effective, fun and better for the communities and families the two groups live within?
1642293779405.png

I didn't find any other thread discussing using ebikes for chores, errands, or other types of "work", so, voila!

I'm normally a recreational rider, but in an attempt to be more environmentally friendly (and get some additional exercise), recently purchased a cargo trailer (Schwinn Day Tripper) for my bike (Giant La Free E+2) so I could begin using it for shopping and other chores and activities around town.

The first outing with the trailer was yesterday, and it was perfect! I'm looking forward to incorporating biking further into my daily routine 😁.

There are still some logistical issues to work out, mainly having to do with security/anti theft measures. I do most of my grocery shopping on the military base nearby, where I feel confident just locking the bike, with trailer attached, to a post outside the store. Out in our little town, I'm not so sure. Do I remove the trailer from the bike and use it as a cart in the store (a bit unwieldy)? Do I come up with a way to lock the trailer to the bike? Do I need an alarm set up (will I even hear an alarm from the depths of Safeway???)?

Suggestions welcome!

Share experiences, pics and ideas for utilizing your bike in a "working" capacity here...

Here's my new set up:
Just some 👏 for you. That's an impressive cargo you've got.

Who among this EBR community thinks that if there were a random experiment to see which is more efficacious, an established anti-depressant drug regimen, or daily riding of an eBike; that the the eBike riders would be the happier and healthier group after three-months? Two years? Which do you would be more cost effective, fun and better for the communities and families the two groups live within?
View attachment 111930
A real study on that would never get published. The pharmaceutical industry has trouble even beating the placebos for those types of drugs. They would be so badly beaten by something that actually makes people smile...

The average healthcare expenditure is $12,500 per person across all ages in the US. 1/3rd of that is pharmaceuticals. The average cost of riding a bike is $300 per year. Let's make the assumption that it is twice that for an electric bike. But also that eBikes are more twice as productive as a tool for commuting a getting work done. AAA say it costs $9,900 to operate a car and that family, personal errands and shopping trips average seven miles. That is low hanging fruit for an electric bike. What if we could take a nice bite out of healthcare expenditures, and car ownership costs? That could amount to one really nice electric bike per person per year. Or after the first year it is just the eBike dividend.
makes people smile

View attachment 111890View attachment 111891View attachment 111893View attachment 111892
That's a beauty. Curved lines, bright chrome, whitewalls ... sounds like I'm talking about a corvette...

Man, I'm feeling like a real weenie here with my regular old bike and little Schwinn trailer 🤣🤣🤣. Rode just under 5 little miles around town today running errands 🤗. I'm getting the hang of it - it's been much easier than I anticipated! My only issue was Google maps - I was experimenting with it, and it routed me to the UPS store (for evil Amazon returns) via a fairly busy 4 lane street that I would need to cross traffic to make a left turn. It knew I was on the bike! Fortunately, the city is pretty small and I've lived here since 1976, so I knew how to take quieter parallel streets.

After completing my returns, I headed over to the base to visit the exchange (department store) and commissary (grocery store). They are definitely lacking bike racks, but there was plenty of steel fence pipe to lock to 😉.

Again, didn't do a huge shop, but everything fit in the trailer - especially my very important half case of vino rosso 🤣. Once my cargo net arrives, I'll be able to stack stuff up higher and not sorry about it falling out or off!

The morning was mild and sunny, perfect to be out on my bike, getting stuff done!

View attachment 111838View attachment 111839
Give it some time and you might find yourself called 'a local legend ' for running errands with your ebike and trailer. There certainly won't be many like you in your hometown .

Give it some time and you might find yourself called 'a local legend ' for running errands with your ebike and trailer. There certainly won't be many like you in your hometown .
There's one other guy, who lives on a boat at the city Marina 😉. I see him around 8AM most mornings, pedaling out to the grocery stores in the other side of town and back. He's hardier than I - hot or cold, rain or shine 😁. I don't want to get my pretty blue bike or my cute little trailer messed up 😱! Plus, the old lady with asthma thing...

It's been too cold for me here for days, and now that it's going to be a blazing 49 today, it's raining! Maybe if it dries out this afternoon I'll get out - running rather low on the vino supply, do something's gotta give 😂😂😂!

Because of ridiculous liquor laws in Pennsylvania, we buy wine by the case delivered by FedEx, but wine (or beer, or sodapop ) is pretty heavy to carry in the trailer, isn't it?

I am out the door to drop off the $299 Target Gateway bike that I changed up and made electric. It has a rack and removable shopping basket to get things done around town. A Mundo will fit a case of IPA bottles in its front basket.

Attachments

• cockpitb.JPG
    cockpitb.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Gateway.JPG
    Gateway.JPG
    935.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Gateway3 (2).JPG
    Gateway3 (2).JPG
    560.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Yuba2103.JPG
    Yuba2103.JPG