Ebikemotion X35 expectations on steep hills

Venster

Region
United Kingdom
Hi all

Tried looking for a suitable sub forum but couldn’t find one so posting in here.

What can I expect from X35 motor when going up alpine hills/climbs? Gradients >7%.

I’m getting my Road ebike next month and am taking it to France but wondered how it will fare on steeper stuff. I’m not the lightest rider so not expecting miracles but have been reading you need to keep the cadence high for the motor to keep going.

Well my experience of steep hills is not high spinning! I’m slow steady plodder that grinds away!
Thanks.

You can expect your best hill climbing capabilities by spinning with or without an e-motor, especially with the X35 motor. Typically prior to my X-35 I was, like you, I was a plodder. I’ve developed a more spinning technique that brings out the best of the X-35. The motor isn’t a high torque motor or have a large battery capacity. Plodding along will bog the motor down and consume your battery prematurely.

Hi all

Tried looking for a suitable sub forum but couldn’t find one so posting in here.

What can I expect from X35 motor when going up alpine hills/climbs? Gradients >7%.

I’m getting my Road ebike next month and am taking it to France but wondered how it will fare on steeper stuff. I’m not the lightest rider so not expecting miracles but have been reading you need to keep the cadence high for the motor to keep going.

Well my experience of steep hills is not high spinning! I’m slow steady plodder that grinds away!
Thanks.
Im a big guy and have a 34 on the back for the steep stuff so i can still keep some revs up. Helps me and i ride on grades over 6% every ride.

I previously had an Orbea F30. Great bike. But not so great eBike. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area for context on where I used it. I did a 13 mile (each way) commute with it and hills were plentiful, steep and sustained. I'm not the strongest rider but feel relatively fit. The low power hub motor and smallish battery made for a nimble and relatively light weight bike but I found the assist to be lacking on the really tough days. The power does take the edge off if that's what you're looking for but it was the wrong bike for me, especially on the days I just wanted to get home with some energy left over. It uses a cadence sensor + speed sensor and it's quite good for what it is but can't come close to matching the natural and instant response of a torque sensor PAS.

Back